Pointless FF deaths

The question for this poll is, which of the choices had the most gratuitous, pointless, or stupid death or self-sacrifice, using choices from various Final Fantasy games. For some of the options, the characters didn’t turn out to be dead after all, but you don’t know it at the time.

The ideal example is the swine running into the fire in Illusion of Gaia, but that isn’t Final Fantasy, so it’s not listed here.

The only pointless one was Aeris. She didn’t do anything about it, and she didn’t sacrifice herself for anything. Holy was done and there.

I ahd forgotten how many people die in FF4. I would say Palom and Porom.

Originally posted by Ivan
For some of the options, the characters didn’t turn out to be dead after all, but you don’t know it at the time.
Which is what makes FF4 so stupid. Like half the characters die and mysteriously come back. Cid straps dynamite or some kind of explosives to his body and sets it off, and survives without a scratch. These explosives are powerful enough to cause a colossal landslide, but they do no damage to Cid at all. Palom and Porom are turned to stone of their own will and therefore CANNOT be changed back. Then the Elder just changes them back which no explanation how or whatever.

Originally posted by Sohee
Which is what makes FF4 so stupid. Like half the characters die and mysteriously come back. Cid straps dynamite or some kind of explosives to his body and sets it off, and survives without a scratch. These explosives are powerful enough to cause a colossal landslide, but they do no damage to Cid at all. Palom and Porom are turned to stone of their own will and therefore CANNOT be changed back. Then the Elder just changes them back which no explanation how or whatever.

Hey, characters from FF7 can survive the sun exploding (FF7)

Lets all get along and say that FF is completely illogical. Hugs.

My theory: a number of the characters in FF4 did not want to be part of the quest for whatever reason. So, they decided to find an out by killing themselves in ways that nevertheless seemed heroic. However, the gods of the gameworld deemed that the circumstances of their deaths were not believable enough, and thus decided to void the effects of the actual attempts at death.

The only plausible death from FF4 was Tella’s, overexerting himself against a hated foe. And coincidentally, he was the only one who stayed dead. I mean, with Palom and Porom, come on, even if you take what they did seriously, there would be nothing to anchor their statues to the ground.

He has survived nine games, why would he have any problems surviving a measly explosion?

Tellah: pointless death
Palom/Porom: Doesn’t count because They come back to life.
Yang: Didn’t die.
Cid: Also didn’t die.
Syldra: Not pointless because It comes back as a summon.
Galuf: Deserved it. Wasn’t that powerful to begin with.
Leo: :mwahaha:. Nuff said
Aeris: pointless death.

And there you have it.

I dont believe Aeris was pointless. Her death spurned a lot of popularity and talk amongst the fans, if anything it was a smart move. Face it, FF7 wouldn’t be as legendary as it is today without the old flower girl kicking the bucket so soon.

Originally posted by Nulani
He has survived nine games, why would he have any problems surviving a measly explosion?
Doesn’t he die in one (or both) of the NES ones, and possibly in FFVI too? Then there’s the ever-debatable ending of FFVII as well.

Then there’s the ever-debatable ending of FFVII as well.

500 years later…Of course he’s dead after 500 years. Even if the party somehow survived Meteor hitting the Planet. Red XIII was the only one who would have survived that long anyway.

ohh! Was it Red XIII?? I always thought it was some Red XIV or XXIII !

Originally posted by FATE
ohh! Was it Red XIII?? I always thought it was some Red XIV or XXIII !

The XIII tattoo is visible

ahh okay sorry

I thought Holy couldn’t be summoned without a sacrifice and that’s why Aeris had to die. :confused:

Anyway, my vote is for General Leo. As soon as he realizes what the empire is doing and tries to fight against it, he gets killed. Sounds pointless to me.

Cid’s death in FF6 was pointless because I could’ve stopped him from dying if I was good at the fish catching thingy.

IMO, FFVI’s Cid is still one of the most useless Cid of all the FF series…

Tellas death was absolutely in vain. But honestly, I was glad to got rid of that annoying old man… (sorry, to all the Tella-fans)

The little twins “death” was pointless but it moved me though.

And Edward was supposed to be death after Leviathans attack, that was pointless, too! I like him, and instead of lying sick in bed later, I’d rather liked him to fight with Cecil.

I vote for just about every death in the original Final Fantasy II.

And for Sohee’s benefit, yes, Cid dies in II. However, in III, the only really crucial thing he does is give you an airship that you have for an incredibly short time, and then goes back to his wife. So no, he doesn’t die.