Phrases that bother me

They do, trust me, they do. I know I saw an example of it in writing earlier today…
… but now I can’t find it. I’ll get back to you about it.

“May or may not.”

It’s logically redundant. “May” already includes the clause where the situation does not happen by implication.

He could, of course, not go to the store. >.>

How randomly brilliant.

For the same reason, I dislike “and/or” used on logical conditions (that is, “if ‘A’ and/or ‘B’…”). While “and” requires both conditions to be true to make the whole expression true as well, “or” is satisfied whether only one is true or both are - therefore making the use of an “and” together with it redundant.

Since when does logic have anything to do with how most people behave?

Edit: nevermind

You guys are mixing logic up with language and implications. If someone says “may”, that does logically include the “may not” case, but the person is stressing the positive case by using the term “may”. Including “may not” is a much more neutral way of speaking.

As for and/or, there are actually two “ors” - inclusive and exclusive. You are describing inclusive or, but usually when people say “or” they mean exclusive or - i.e. either one case or the other but not both. Hence the need for “and/or”.

And “could of” is just a misspelling. It’s not an actual phrase.

Well then, I wish people would turn XOR into a real word and use it instead :stuck_out_tongue:

The thing I hate most is when people say “literally” when whatever they talk about obviously isn;t literal. Such as, “I literally felt like a jackhammer was pounding agaisnt my skull.” Sorry, friend, that isn’t literal, that’s hyperbole. or something.

ValKirby Esker?

So I’m on a Kirby Kick lately.

You get stranger by the moment.

I hate it when girls say “suck my dick.” Wtf, if I meet a chick whose got a dick, she ain’t no chick, and I’m sure as fuck not sucking on it D:<

“could, of” != “could of”

A comma are all of difference World!

EDIT: Weiila, that’s fair enough, I suppose I shouldn’t count of people to refrain from using imagined phrases thinking they’re correct. I’ve seen it happen enough times to know it’s possibly more frequent an occurance than the use of real phrases. Anyway, I guess what I mean is that the problem should be had with “could’ve” but should be taken up with its incorrect doppleganger “could of.” It isn’t “could’ve”'s fault that a mistake sounds like its correct, if abbreviated, glory, it is the fault of the usurping error.
Ah, but seeing the posts above it, I now understand; he was explaining the phenomenon through showing similar pronunciation. Damn, I missed that.

Talk to Kor about that, he’s the one who kept talking about shemales in the chat room.

Wishful thinking.

Well, it’s not a phrase, but when people say ‘idear’ instead of idea, I get annoyed. I agree about ‘same difference’ being annoying too. It makes no sense. >_>

Also, I’m not sure if anyone but my brother does it, but he’ll say ‘true’ life, instead of real life, which always bugs me.

Crotanks also fails to take into account preoperative transsexuals, but if they really wanna be girls, they should quit, like, calling attention to the fact that they weren’t born that way.

Of course, I’ve seen guys say to girls “I want to have your babies” but that was mainly for comedic effect.

Touche, Hades.