Phrases that bother me

I dont like the phrase" do you mind if I say this…" then they say, not letting you say whether or not if you want them to say it.

Why did you have to alert me to nucular’s existence? I could care less.

[wardrobe malfunction=omg she has titties! Who would have known?]

ATM Machine
RPG Game

“Whilst”

“Could care less” is pretty much sarcasm, actually.
“Irregardless” is just confused with “inflammable” - which is a standard word, and yet means the same as “flammable”. I remember some sitcom that actually had a running gag in one episode about that.

Oh man, I hate inflammable. That one word actually really does piss me off.

“Thems the breaks.”
“Do me proud.”

Also, when sentences using “let alone” are reversed. “I can’t play tennis, let alone swing the racket!”

People don’t think about what words mean, hence phrases like “would of” and “the problem is, is that.” By the way, “inflammable” predates “flammable.” It comes from “inflame.” Manufacturers started using “flammable” when people misinterpreted “inflammable” and threw cigarettes onto explosives.

You just reminded me of something. I don’t know if it’s a phrase or not, but I hate it when people say things like “Don’t say anything!” when they think you’re going to make a sarcastic, comical, or perverted remark about something they said. When people tell you “You don’t want to know.” when you are the one asking them you want to know. How people seem to declare “You know!” in all its forms when, in fact, you don’t know!

Down the tubes.

I don’t get that expression. Like when people say the country/province is going down the tubes.

/WHAT TUBES/?!?

Not really a phrase, just a word, but it’s when people use the word “of” instead of “have” after a word like would, could, should, and so on. “Have” is a verb. “Of” is not a verb. I’m not sure how people manage to think of “of” as a verb.

Technically, it is pipes, as in, sewer pipes; this country is going in the direction of the sewers, a place most commonly associated with fecal matter and other forms of human waste. But pipes are usually arguably also tubes, which has more of a ring to it as a phrase, and thus was used.

The only word I truly despise (although irregardless, and a few mis-pronunciations of words that are, themselves, dandy, have been known to irritate me, they do not so vex me as this) is Isthmus. First, it has quite possibly my most hated sound the English language, “sth.” In addition to that, it has four consonants in a row, which is desipicable in its own right. Finally, it’s really essentially a useless word; its meaning can be easily expressed ith other words which are not linguistic nightmares.

People are retarded. Didn’t you didn’t get the memo?

“could’ve” sounds the same as “could of”.

Loud and Clear.

Human curiosity.

Down the drain is the form I’m most familiar with, presumably it must be British.

Well, it’s Greek. Do I bitch about the awfulness of “meeting” spelled (and mistranscribed) in Greek?

In my case, it would be when people use “their” instead of “They’re” and “your” instead of “You’re”. Personal pronouns and Possesive determiners are not the same damn thing!

Anything with internet/SMS-speak that pretends to be a real text.

“U”, “y”, “b”, “r” are all LETTERS, not WORDS.

Well, it means “could have” and I don’t think anyone ever says “could of” since “could of” makes no sense as a concept.

Rig: Yeah, I know it’s roots, but it’s one of those words we shouldn’t have taken from Greek. It is a bitch to fit into our language; the same way the Japanese should not take words with certain phoenetics in them from other languages. Oh, and whether or not you do bitch about it, you have every right to. It’s just a synonym of words that exist in English that’s impossible to pronounce, pretty much.
I also used to despise the letter C for similar reasons, but I got over it since it’s one of the more elegant letters in our language.

Har har.