Online Journals

Well, I’d like to hear your story. :smiley: I don’t see why it matters how much you elaborate on it or not, it’s still a really superficial, shallow thing to say. :stuck_out_tongue:

Only if it isn’t true :stuck_out_tongue:

…So, your idea of serving a purpose is saving kitties from trees huh? :stuck_out_tongue: When did fine arts ever do that, or the government? The only people that do are firemen. :stuck_out_tongue: There’s a broad range of purposes to be served, and they don’t all have to be so damn heroic or anything. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I was a hundred percent serious and did not make use of an exaggerated example on that one. I expect your journal entries to go and do a fireman’s job. And also, there’s no irony in this sentence, either.

…Friends, family, and the guy that delivers my pizza…so basically that’s still just about everyone who can access your Live Journal? :stuck_out_tongue: Also, if you ever looked into an Online Journal, you can make it private. You can even make it exclusive only to yourself. I never kept a journal, and for exactly the reasons I stated before. It’s ridiculous to have a private thought and write it somewhere where someone can find it. Sure, it’s LESS likely to be found than an online journal, but REALLY now, people are just as unlikely to go deliberately stumbling across your online journal as they are your offline journal. To this day I still have never come across an LJ in a search engine. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, so not the guy that delivers your pizza. Only your family, if you let them, and only your friends, if you let them. The most well-made journals I’ve seen even come with a lock. Yes, you can make a LiveJournal private and give it some purpose because some people are faster at typing than writing, but I’ve come across those damn LJ things in my searches since I use google for every single school research assignment I get (it was especially annoying when researching for history or anthology) :stuck_out_tongue:

Plus, I think you’re getting too hung up on the word journal. I have a LiveJournal, and I don’t use it to write how I feel about my personal feelings. It’s STILL called a Journal whether you like it or not. :stuck_out_tongue: It doesn’t mean you have to write private or personal thoughts in it. There are a lot of definitions for the word journal that do not necesarily entail privacy.

You want to play that game bitch? :stuck_out_tongue:

di·a·ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-r)
A personal record of occurrences, experiences, and reflections kept on a regular basis; a diary.

“Yeah, I was a hundred percent serious and did not make use of an exaggerated example on that one. I expect your journal entries to go and do a fireman’s job. And also, there’s no irony in this sentence, either.”

My original intent was to show you how ridiculous your first comment was :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t understand what point you were refuting, if any at all, with it.

“Okay, so not the guy that delivers your pizza. Only your family, if you let them, and only your friends, if you let them. The most well-made journals I’ve seen even come with a lock. Yes, you can make a LiveJournal private and give it some purpose because some people are faster at typing than writing, but I’ve come across those damn LJ things in my searches since I use google for every single school research assignment I get (it was especially annoying when researching for history or anthology) :P”

Well uh, I dunno what to say about that, sorry to hear that. When I research stuff for history and anthropology, I get my desired results. Maybe you’re just a poopoohead :stuck_out_tongue:

“You want to play that game bitch? :P”
Quote:
di·a·ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-r)
A personal record of occurrences, experiences, and reflections kept on a regular basis; a diary.

Yeah, notice how I said there were A LOT of them that didn’t entail privacy.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=journal <— There are FIVE definitions, not one. Hell yeah I wanna play that game, bitch. :stuck_out_tongue:

My original intent was to show you how ridiculous your first comment was :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t understand what point you were refuting, if any at all, with it.

I’m refuting the fact that it serves about as much constructive purpose as any template-created animation-ridden geocities ~AzN_PrInCeSs~ homepage.

Yeah, notice how I said there were A LOT of them that didn’t entail privacy. There are FIVE definitions, not one. Hell yeah I wanna play that game, bitch. :stuck_out_tongue:

Personal means private, especially when used in this context, you damn hobo :stuck_out_tongue: Yeah okay, let’s look at the other definitions :stuck_out_tongue:

1. A daybook used in accounting
  2. A newspaper.
  3. A periodical presenting articles, such as a medical journal
  4. The part of a machine shaft or axle supported by a bearing.

Yeah, relevant definitions there :stuck_out_tongue: Game over >:O!!!

I WANNA PLAY TOO!!! :yipee: :yipee:

From Merriam Webster Online:

PERSONAL
1 : of, relating to, or affecting a person : PRIVATE, INDIVIDUAL <personal ambition> <personal financial gain>
2 a : done in person without the intervention of another; also : proceeding from a single person b : carried on between individuals directly <a personal interview>
3 : relating to the person or body
4 : relating to an individual or an individual’s character, conduct, motives, or private affairs often in an offensive manner <a personal insult>
5 a : being rational and self-conscious <personal, responsive government is still possible – John Fischer> b : having the qualities of a person rather than a thing or abstraction <a personal devil>
6 : of, relating to, or constituting personal property <a personal estate>
7 : denoting grammatical person

Any one of those could be used for “personal journal.” :3

<table style=‘font-family : Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif; border-collapse: collapse; border: 1px solid black;’ cellspacing=‘0’ cellpadding=‘2’ align=‘center’><form action=‘http://memegen.deskslave.org/viewmeme.pl?un=Tannin&meme=1074643862’ method=‘POST’><tr><th colspan=2 bgcolor=’#000000’><font color=’#DDDD88’>Stoopid vaelmier Thingy by Tannin</font></th></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>Name:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’><input type=‘text’ name=‘Name:’ value=‘ClothHat’ size=‘20’></span></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>You were spawned by:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’>Bill Roth</span></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>Made your first appearence in Vaelmier:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’>Kicking butt and taking names!</span></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>Greatest Accomplishment:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’>Being DAMN sexy!</span></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>Most know for:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’>Selling off friiends to slave traders, then blowing the cash on a foot massager! Whoo hoo!</span></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>In a fight, you:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’>Think Magic Missle is the only way to win.</span></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>You died:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’>From sheer stupidity.</span></td></tr><input type=‘hidden’ name=‘un’ value=‘Tannin’><input type=‘hidden’ name=‘meme’ value=‘1074643862’><tr><td colspan=2 align=‘center’ bgcolor=’#000000’><input type=‘submit’ value=‘Fill Out Your Answers and Try it!’></td></tr><tr><td colspan=2 align=‘center’ bgcolor=’#000000’><font size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’>Created with the ORIGINAL <a href=‘http://memegen.deskslave.org/’><font color=’#DDDD88’>MemeGen</font></a>!</font></td></tr></form></table>

Cless- definition 1b.

An official record of daily proceedings, as of a legislative body.

Yeah, this sure is an official record :stuck_out_tongue: An offical record conflicts directly with the meaning of an individual journal. Jesus, people, read the definitions first :stuck_out_tongue:

1 : of, relating to, or affecting a person : PRIVATE, INDIVIDUAL

This definition doesn’t work. “A personal record of occurrences” has “personal” describing the record, not of the occurences, experiences, etc. If it had the meaning of “individual” or “affecting a body” in the definition mentioned above, it would read “A record of personal occurences”. “Individual” or “affecting a body” can hardly be applied to describe “records”, but may be easily used to describe experiences.

Dunno, I’ve got a Live Journal. Three guesses to what name I use for the journal, and the first two don’t count :stuck_out_tongue:

takes down my site
tear rolls down cheek
looks into sunset as screen fades to back

All I can say is >:)

<table style=‘font-family : Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif; border-collapse: collapse; border: 1px solid black;’ cellspacing=‘0’ cellpadding=‘2’ align=‘center’><form action=‘http://memegen.deskslave.org/viewmeme.pl?un=Tannin&meme=1074643862’ method=‘POST’><tr><th colspan=2 bgcolor=’#000000’><font color=’#DDDD88’>Stoopid vaelmier Thingy by Tannin</font></th></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>Name:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’><input type=‘text’ name=‘Name:’ value=‘Gila_Monster’ size=‘20’></span></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>You were spawned by:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’>Luke</span></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>Made your first appearence in Vaelmier:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’>Eatting potstickers. MMmmmmm…</span></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>Greatest Accomplishment:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’>Picking your nose.</span></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>Most know for:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’>Staring blankly while sitting in a pool of your own drool.</span></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>In a fight, you:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’>Fight?! I abhor violence!</span></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor=’#333333’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #FFFFFF;’>You died:</span></td><td bgcolor=’#DDDDAA’ style=‘border: 1px solid black;’><span style=‘color: #000000;’>Spontaneous combustion of the head.</span></td></tr><input type=‘hidden’ name=‘un’ value=‘Tannin’><input type=‘hidden’ name=‘meme’ value=‘1074643862’><tr><td colspan=2 align=‘center’ bgcolor=’#000000’><input type=‘submit’ value=‘Fill Out Your Answers and Try it!’></td></tr><tr><td colspan=2 align=‘center’ bgcolor=’#000000’><font size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’>Created with the ORIGINAL <a href=‘http://memegen.deskslave.org/’><font color=’#DDDD88’>MemeGen</font></a>!</font></td></tr></form></table>

I registered at livejournal.com and wrote one entry (in archaic English) a few months ago. I like to keep a private journal.

Nevertheless, I think that livejournal.com is not rubbish and just another means of self-expression online.

>I dunno what y’all think, but I just use online journals as a place to write down stuff I don’t end up talking to other people about at the end of the day. Not for angst, or for telling my personal life to anyone who stumbles upon it. Sometimes it’s personal, sometimes it’s not. Most of the time it’s just random things that I wanna mention that I can’t really have a large convesation about, like “I bought a space invaders jacket” (Which I really did :P), or something like that.

that’s basically what mine is for too, SG. We’re <strike>blood</strike> journal brothers!

one of these days I’m going to find a subject you don’t hate!

Yay Merlin :smiley:

Oh also Merlin, it won’t happen…If Loki’s not bitching about it too, that’s because it’s stupid :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe we should make a RPGC ljcommunity.

There are plenty of subjects I don’t hate. I just don’t see the point of this argument. I love movies and music and stuff… and I enjoy… yes- posting in my live journal. But I say there is no point because it is obvious that neither side will change their viewpoint. I doubt that SG will take down his journal, and I doubt that Cless will all of a sudden change his mind about how stupid they are. It’s like Jerry Falwell and Nietzsche discussing religion. =p

Cless, WHY are you being so dumb. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay. Let’s pretend that they’re not called “livejournals,” but rather they’re called, “harglebargs.” From what you’re saying, it seems like EVERY argument you’ve made that hasn’t been refuted, would fall flat on its ass. You’re arguing about the words people use to describe what they’re talking about, and that’s a really stupid thing to do. Okay. :stuck_out_tongue:

–Mazrim Taim

You still argue with other people about musical opinions even though that never changes THEIR opinions. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t really do that anymore unless they blatantly says something of mine sucks. Also, I try not to tell people their musical tastes suck anymore. I only reserve that for a few bands which I have a special hate for. =p

Okay. Let’s pretend that they’re not called “livejournals,” but rather they’re called, “harglebargs.” From what you’re saying, it seems like EVERY argument you’ve made that hasn’t been refuted, would fall flat on its ass. You’re arguing about the words people use to describe what they’re talking about, and that’s a really stupid thing to do.

Yeah, if they were clled “harglebargs” or “passages of text that I wrote that are neither pirvate nor personal because I’m sharing them with every single person who can access a browser for no apparent reason” I’d have no problem. If you called “garbage” “wonderful utopian fruit that is really good to eat” damn right I’d have a problem :stuck_out_tongue: Words are created for a reason, damnit :stuck_out_tongue: