Olympic Poker

Has anyone else seen/heard of this?

I’ve been seeing/hearing TV and radio ads, but I thought it was a joke. I’m not so sure anymore.

Nope and nope.

It’s not planned on happening, but they’re trying to get it to be part of the Games.

That’s retarded. Poker is not a sport.

`

Poker is as much a sport as professional Third Strike is.

I don’t know what professional third strike is but in my opinion cards are not a sport

Card games require skill, just as hockey or swimming requires skill. They may be different in training, but train poker players and hockey players do. Poker players may focus more on mental preparation and control of their body, but it’s still training.

I don’t much care either way since I’m not going to be watching the Games, although if it does get in and it’s Texas Hold 'em, I might watch.

Professional poker is either 7-Card or Texas Hold 'Em anyway.

Professional Third Strike is basially Street Fighter 3 : Third Strike played professionally.

Card games aren’t a sport. It’s recreation. It doesn’t deserve to be part of the olympics.

Baku: You could argue the same thing for golf or hockey or any sport. You can do them for fun and in your own time, you can do them for money and tournaments, and you can do them for medals.

That’d be interesting to see, to say the least.

For an event to be a sport, there must be some degree of physical exertion. Sitting at a table, holding cards, and tossing poker chips do not constitute a serious physical effort.

While you’re right about it not been a sport it is professional and there’s a world championship for it; why not the Olympics. It would be interesting to see.

demigod: You could say the same for golf. There’s minimal effort in swinging the club (I’m talking about just swinging, not swinging perfect or anything else), but it’s still a sport.

There is some other physical effort in golf; dragging around the clubs for 18 holes.

That’s what caddies do. Not golfers.

There are no caddies in golf at the high school level. Golfers carry their own clubs.

Yes but at professional level they do have caddies and that’s the level of the Olympics.

Oh wow, here we go… If you are going to say Poker isnt a sport because it would require some physical strain, then why is Shooting on there? All you have to so is hold the gun and pull the trigger…

The reason is this: It requires alot more mental depth than you all seem to give it credit for. YES, cards are primarily a hobby. So are Fighting Games, but there are tournaments and championships for those. Poker, as a sport, isnt about playing the game, its more about psyching your opponent out and playing mind games. Which in my opinion requires much more training and skill then running around a field or picking up a heavy piece of iron.

Get over the idea of what you think “sports” means and realize that IT DOESNT have to be about how fast you can run or some sort physical strain.

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. b. A particular form of this activity.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

3. An active pastime; recreation.

Golf isn’t in the olympics, though…
At the professional level, golfers still have to walk the 18 holes, with or without the clubs. That’s some physical exertion beyond just swinging the club.