Olympic Poker

Um some lazy people use golf carts to get around.

Not in the pros(or at least they’re not supposed to). In a tournament, golf carts aren’t allowed.

Er Izlude, shooting a proper gun beyond a pistol requires a fair bit of physical exertion. You have to control the recoil which in some guns, shotguns or rifles for example, can be pretty big. But I agree, poker can be way harder, and the big tournaments can go on for hours at a time.

One pro golfer is allowed to use a golf cart, and that’s because he has a poor leg or something. It was big news about a year and a half ago.

Also, Equestrian is an Olympic sport, so there could be some debate concerning it. I guess it requires control for the rider since, as I understand it, they get different horses and don’t just use their own.

Wow! So it was actually a sport that I was practicing all this time! None can call me a lazay sloth for spending too much time playing cards with friends in school anymore!

Now, seriously, I think that pool and chess could be at the olympics, but I wouldn’t like seeing poker in it. Card games are surely based on mental skill, but also in a lot of luck. Thanks God the idea of including poker in the olympics will not be taken seriously.

A skillful player will always come out on top while the lucky fall behind. “Luck fades, skill endures.”

Beckons, you can’t say that when the best player of the world has to face someone who’s never played poker but has a Street Royal Flush in his/her hand.

It doesn’t matter how good you are, luck of your opponents can take you down. Plus, sports must be exciting in order to be in the olympics, and poker is only exciting when you play with your guns on the table.

Truco, on the other hand… In this game cheating is allowed and even encouraged, which makes it pretty cool. I gotta learn how to play it.

But in a tournament the most skillful player is going to be able beat the lucky players by reading their body language and been able to tell if they have a good hand. If a person is holding their breath and then let’s it out and starts shaking it’s actually a sign they have a good hand because it’s the adrenaline that’s causes it. But your probably right, unless you’re really into it, poker is a pretty boring activity.

I refuse to believe that Chris Moneymaker was the most skillful player in last year’s World Series of Poker.

If you firmly believe that those are signs of a good hand, then an actor may easily fool and defeat you on every round.

I didn’t say that the most skillful wins, only that he beats the lucky until he comes up against a skilled opponent who gets luck and beats him. But the most skillful will place somewhere in the top 9.
And all poker players are actors, only amateurs would make that mistake, but it is written in The Theory of Poker which is an excellent book on how to play poker.

Golf is a sport. You underestimate how much energy it takes to repeatedly swing the golf club. Have you yourself ever gone a full 18 holes and walked the whole way? Shooting is a sport. Whether it is archery or riflery, you need sufficient muscle strength and breath control to aim the weapon with the degree of accuracy necessary to compete in these competitions.

I never said golf was easy. The closest I’ve ever done is eighteen holes in pitch&putt. And I said shooting requires a lot of energy and physical exertion.

And high levels of competitive of pretty much any sport is demanding on the person playing it. Even in poker; the players’ nerves are going to be shot from all the bluffing, they’ll become tired from bluffing and being tense from the possible prizes. It can be quite taxing on the body.

Yes, but you do not need physical training for poker. The effects are all caused by psychological strain, not physical strain.

But it can have some of the same effects.

However, you contered yourself later on…

See, a professional poker player can still make it VERY hard on a new player who has a great hand. Now, a royal flush is a pretty fucking awesome for a new player… However, if it would be ANYTHING less, theres a great chance that the pro can bluff the new player under the table… So yes, skill does come into play. A lot.

I doubt anyone would fold anything higher than three of a kind unless they have a good feeling they don’t have the nut straight or nut flush and someone else does.

Yay! Someone agreed with me on something. And there was much rejoicing.

aw man, 984 beat me to the moneymaker punch.

while im a poker enthusiast, i just dont believe that the olympics should include games which require no physical exertion what so ever. theres a time and a place for everything, supposedly, and i dont believe the olympics are the place for professional poker. the participants are supposed to be amateurs anyway.

Also, this is a lie: “However, if it would be ANYTHING less, theres a great chance that the pro can bluff the new player under the table…”