New Coke / Coke II

Way off topic, I know.

Anyway, does anyone live in a market that sells Coke II (aka, the “New Coke” of 1985)? I remember kinda liking it 18 years ago, and I’d like to try it again. Hell, Coca-Cola spent millions testing it to see if it’d succeed, and every test proved people liked it better than Coke Classic or Pepsi. It can’t be that bad.

I hear it’s in Chicago. It sure as hell isn’t in Dallas. If anyone knows where it is, I might just send you some shipping $$ to send me down a bottle. :smiley:

Well apparently the tests failed if they went back to Classic Coke.

Theres a funny simpsons episode where homers now-broke brother is sitting around a campfire under a bridge with a bunch of other bums, and one guys says “how did we get here?”
Bum1-“i actually have a job, but its with chrysler”
Bum2-“sisco systems”
Bum3-“I invented newcoke…”
Bum1-“That was you?”
Bum2-“What where you thinking?”

Im pretty sure its been pulled off the market completely by now though…

COKE!! Um… i think that one of the ingrediant was found to be harmful. I vaguely remember my mom dicussing this.

Yech, I don’t like any of the Cokes besides Classic Coke and Diet Coke. All of those new Coke are bad, especially Vanilla Coke. chokes

agrees Cept i don’t like anytpye of coke except cherry… Yum.

Actually, Coke II takes up about .1% of the market share now. As for the tests, the taste tests did show that people preferred it to Coke, Diet Coke, and Pepsi (the drink that had been beating Coke senseless at the time). However Coke forgot to take into account how much people would complain if one of their beloved childhood memories, namely the original Coke, were to be removed.

I want to find some Coke II too. I’ve never tried it.

Originally posted by Alyx
COKE!! Um… i think that one of the ingrediant was found to be harmful. I vaguely remember my mom dicussing this.

Maybe you’re thinking of Coca Cola originally having Cocaine in it, which it no longer does (at least I hope not :x). Hence the name - Cocaine, Coca Cola.

Any fool can remove a long-popular product from the market and replace it with a new, less popular one…

…But it takes a genius to then revert to the old product, making millions of people grateful for the same old thing they always had.

SO THAT’S THE EVIL MASTERMIND BEHIND THE NEW UPRISING OF SOFT DRINK BLASPHMEY!

We must find the bastard named Coke II and interrogate him.

MOUNTAIN DEW WAS INNOCENT! WE SHALL HAVE REVENGE!!!

seriously, though, sounds nice, Coke II…

Would New coke be that ‘Tab Clear’ stuff?
(Coke, without the caramel colouring)
They’ve not sold Tab Clear in the UK for at least ten years. X_x;

Tab is a whole different company…isnt it?

My dad says when he went to the coke factory in atlanta, they gave out all kinds of Coke Products…if you wanted you could have NuCoke (thats what its called)

So i guess you guys will have to go to atlanta…though he says it tastes like shit…

Does New Coke taste a lot like Pepsi? Because that’s what people who’ve drunk it tell me.

Oh yeah… I forgot about the Coke factory, and I went by it every morning to school… Hmmm… Maybe I can find some there.

Mr. Saturn, you should check out this article from the Urban Legend site (a thread soon will follow about this site) on New Coke. And for the record I did like New Coke.

New Coke Article

Pepsi’s better. But a Coke II sounds interesting. Maybe I’ll invent a Coke III and become rich.:mwahaha:

Pepsi tastes like shit.

Pepsi is made from shit. And shit sells.

Holy crap! I can’t believe how few people remember the new coke! 984 was right about their history. There’s a pretty good article about it at coca-cola.com, and Rirse’s article courtesy of good ole snopes.com serves the purpose pretty well, too. Educate yourselves, young ones.

Let’s go down the line responding to some comments.

Originally posted by demigod
Well apparently the tests failed if they went back to Classic Coke.

It wasn’t the tests that failed so much as the marketing. Even though, in blind taste tests, millions of people preferred the TASTE of “Coke” to “Coca-Cola Classic,” people had already fallen in love with the IMAGE of Coca-Cola, and wouldn’t give that up for anything. “Coke” (as it was then called, it has since been known as “The New Coke” and "Coke II) was basically just Diet Coke with the nutrisweet removed and with sugar based sweeteners inserted.

Originally posted by Devillion
Im pretty sure its been pulled off the market completely by now though…

I was almost certain that it was myself, until recently. Just because it hasn’t been in Dallas in over a decade, I assumed that it wasn’t anywhere. Apparently it’s at least still sold in Chicago. Don’t know where else, though. I find it weird to see products in other markets, cause they often have stuff we don’t anymore. Here in Dallas, we still have Count Chocula, but he’s buddies Frankenberry and Boo Berry left the shelves at least 10 years ago (though they come back for a limited time every Halloween). In other markets, they still hang out all year long. Also surprising to me is that Dr. Pepper isn’t around in some areas, whereas it’s huge here (perhaps cause it’s bottled in Ft. Worth). I think it tastes like piss, but then I think the same about Mountain Dew and its bastard cousin Sierra Mist.

Originally posted by X_countryguy
Yech, I don’t like any of the Cokes besides Classic Coke and Diet Coke. All of those new Coke are bad, especially Vanilla Coke. chokes

New Coke tasted like Diet Coke. It’s not even “New” anymore. It’s 18 years old. And Vanilla Coke tastes like rancid. The only flavor that should be added to coke is Cherry. Cherry Coke roxorz.

Originally posted by Sorcerer
Maybe you’re thinking of Coca Cola originally having Cocaine in it, which it no longer does (at least I hope not :x). Hence the name - Cocaine, Coca Cola.

Nope. None at all anymore. They removed it and replaced it with artificial flavors nearly a century ago. Of course, caffiene is said to have the same addictive properties of cocaine, if used in the same dosage.

<hr>

Anyway, if anyone knows of a website where I can buy it, or if you live in an area that sells Coke II, let me know. I’ll send you cash if you’ll buy it and send me a 24 pack.

Man, you must really like that CokeII thing if your going through all this trouble just to get a 24-pack. Coke’s good, but MD forever.