NetHack...

How do I change my armor or use a shield?

Command “T” - take off armor; command “W” - wear armor. That should work for both armours and shields, although if not, then command “P” should let you wear a shield (if it’s an accessory).

O.k. now if the walls would stop killing me i will be fine for a while.

Is single weapon with a katana more effective than two weapon with katana and wakizashi for the samurai?

It will be at first, since samurais start with two-weapon at unskilled you’ll have a severe to hit penalty. If you exercise two weapon though you will become a killing machine. Samurai are one of the best classes for dual wielding, able to reach expert class. Keep in mind that while #twoweapon is turned on, you won’t exercise your weapon skills in whatever you have equipped, just two weapon.

Try finding an altar and #offering until you get an artifact, a samurais first is Snickersnee. Try dual wielding THAT with your katana.

what are fountains for? is there a faster means of healing than running in circles? What is an osaku? and how do I view my skills? (I’m just full of questions ain’t I?)

Fountains can be drunk from, and can have various beneficial or detrimental effects, such as the water moccassins of doom that killed me more than once. You can heal with spells and potions, although it’s a risky proposition if you don’t know what you have. Locked objects can be picked if you have a lockpick, although I’m not sure how likely it is to succeed.

i discovered that you can kick open boxes. how do you drink from a fountain, #drink?

So many questions

Fountains are for (q)uaffing and #dipping, they can have a ton of effects, but the most powerful inculde:
The water is contaminated: Lowers your strength unless poison resistant, use a unicorn horn of potion of restore ability to fix
Water Moccasins: Generates a ton of snakes that will rip you to shreds unless you’re pretty strong
Water Demon: Has a 20% chance (-1% every level you go deeper) of granting you a wish. If not peaceful will most likely kill you unless you can stun it or teleport away or something.
This water is no good: Curses a bunch of your items
If you’re level 6 (or is it 5?) or higher you can #dip a long sword into a fountain to get Excalibur

Heal by waiting, press n-100-space to wait a 100 turns. You can equip a ring of regeneration or the staff of aesculapius to heal faster. (The ring makes you hungry very fast though)

I don’t know what an osaku is, sounds like a samurai name for something, what type of item is it?

You can unlock doors, chests, and boxes with a lockpick, skeleton key, or credit card. You can also kick them down and #force open boxes and chests.

if I recall it was a tool. I yet to survive more than 10 minutes since I’m a bit reckless. Stupid walls.

What do statues that you pick up do? Can boulders be pulled somehow?

and how can I see my weapon skills?

your wait thing doesn’t seem to work.

is it possible to sell to shop keepers?

Originally posted by deathstryke
What do statues that you pick up do? Can boulders be pulled somehow?

Statues can be broken with a spell of force bolt, wand of striking, pick axe, and possibly a wand of digging. They’ll turn into a pile of rocks and if you’re deeper than dungeon level four or five they might have a spellbook. You can also ressurect the monster with a stone to flesh spell, or examine the statue with a stethescope. On higher levels the statues will often come to life and attack.

Boulders can’t be pulled, they can be picked up if you’re polymorphed into a giant. They can also be broken into rocks the same was statues are. If you take off all your armor and drop all your items you can sometimes squeeze past a boulder. They can also be used to fill in pits or patches of water.

and how can I see my weapon skills?

#enhance, once you’ve practiced enough you’ll get a message about your weapon skills improving and you will be able to click on a box next to the appropriate skill

your wait thing doesn’t seem to work.

You might have a different version, look in the guidebook for a repeat command.

is it possible to sell to shop keepers?

Yes, drop items in their shop. Keep in mind a shopkeeper who specializes in rings won’t want to buy food rations from you.

Oh and if the osaku was a tool, I’m guessing that was the samurai name for lockpicks.

the guidebook that came with mine was horrifically corrupted/badly formatted. I have discovered that the “.” key will skip turns and holding it will cause turns to fly by, but some time I have killed my self by not paying attention to my surroundings while doing this.

I have also learned to check my intelligence b4 using a spellbook. Being blind and confused isn’t much fun.

Is there any way to cure food poisoning other than #pray?

What do I need other than being on an altar to #offer? The game keeps telling me that I have nothing to offer.

btw, thnx for putting up with all my questions.

i have v 3.4.2

I have discovered that the “.” key will skip turns and holding it will cause turns to fly by, but some time I have killed my self by not paying attention to my surroundings while doing this.

You don’t want to do this, download the guidbook again and try to find the key for repeating actions and then use it with . The turns will fly, but will stop when monsters show up

Is there any way to cure food poisoning other than #pray?

Eat a eucalyptus leaf of (a)pply a unicorn horn. Try not to get food poisoning though, just don’t eat any corpse that you didn’t kill. Only old ones will poison yuo

What do I need other than being on an altar to #offer? The game keeps telling me that I have nothing to offer.

A fairly fresh monster corpse. Try hanging out at an altar waiting for monsters. (Make sure you have enough food)

btw, thnx for putting up with all my questions.

No problem

how can my poor samurai ass be saved from blindness? can items be identified w/o a scroll or trail and error?

I’d like to add one thing about kicking locked chests open: if there is a potion or a colorful piece of glass inside, they may break (you get a message about hearing the sound of something breaking). Of course, this is a handy way of sorting out valuable gems.

I got #force to work finally. I’ve made it down to the 25th floor but had to go back and help my daimyo. He said something about needing the strength of a Ryoshu which I take to mean that my level is too low. I’m lvl 11 (stupid vampires), how high do I need to be?

You went from not knowing how to equip armor to level 25 in one week? o_O

Level 14

Is there a reliable way to have enough food in this game? It’s frustrating to keep dying from something which common sense says shouldn’t be as frequent of an issue.

Eat corpses, don’t wear rings, #pray, pick a class/race that starts with more food. It really isn’t an issue except in the very early game.

Originally posted by Cloth Hat
It really isn’t an issue except in the very early game.

That’s kind of true for a lot of things in the game.