Need some suggestions

Yeah, so I’m having a weekend long anime/videothon for my 18th birthday and I need some good anime to show, money and rarity isn’t a problem.

I don’t want to show any romantic or comedy anime since I can’t stand them, and I know my friends don’t like them either. So basically, I just want some dark and/or mindfuck anime, or maybe even an action one as long as it has a good story.

I’ve already got Hellsing, Urotsukidoji, Ninja Scroll, Blood the last vampire, Ghost in a shell and Metropolis (Which is the best anime ever) lined up. I just need some more along those lines.

Thanks

Cat soup, Vampire Hunter D, pokemon for the mind screwing, Silent Mobius, Armitage series of movies, 3x3 eyes, Miyazuki stuff … I thought Blood the last vampire was disappointing though.

Just today a friend of mine has shown me some scenes of Wonderful Days. I must say that graphically it is the best one I have ever seen (it rocks any other one you can name). It’s way full of action, and by some scenes I’ve seen, seems like it has a deep plot too.

Boogiepop Phantom.
Serial Experiments: Lain.

You don’t really need more than those.

Definately Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.

Gundam SEED is the best Gundam series so far and is worth checking out, the characters have a lot of dept and personality, some you’ll love others you’ll hate. The action is fast paced and visually appealing (except for the explosions which are pink for some reason).

Mugen no Ryvius is one of my personal favorites, it’s like Lord of the Flies in space, but the children turn on each other even faster and more brutally. A very interesting series if you like dark and intelligent drama.

Noir is another great series, wonderful action, interesting plot, and lovely animation. The show sports little gratuitous violence which makes it a very hard series to watch in one go; the bodies pile up very quickly and each death is quick and cheap, both the guilty and the innocent die and no one seems to care.

Berserk for lot’s of action and blood,and a good story
if i remember more i will tell you

FLCL?

3x3 Eyes, Cat Soup, and Pokemon are not mindfuck anime :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m a newcomer to anime, but out of the few series I’ve seen, I’ve never seen one as powerful as X. (That’s the title, just X.) It’s an amazing story. It’s not particularly dark, but it’s pretty serious.

Also, TD has started sending me Witch Hunter Robin; while it’s more of an episodic thing (like a more serious and much more quiet Buffy), I’m starting to be very interested in the characters, so I think it’s worth a try. :sunglasses: You could definitely call it dark, as the actual screen image tends to be dark, but probably not in the way you were thinking of the term. 8p

I thought of 3X3 eyes because it had some cool fighting in it, not for mindscrewing, didnt think it was like that however i have only seen the first 4 to 5 episodes. Cat soup was screwed up though and well pokemon can be bad to your health if watched continuous for long period of times, was mostly joking with those two anyhows. Cat soup was dull, sucked in my opinion, and didn’t really understand some of the things.

I was gonna mention it ^^ But it only starts to get twisted in the mid to later eps, so I thought better of it. At least it got mentioned by someone other than me (the WHR whore). I really liked X too. Confusing at first, but you might wanna give it a try Urk.

Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu. Seems childish due to the design at first, but…you’ll see. This series pleasures me greatly. Very, very funny, and odd.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is a good one.

Perfect Blue. Very dark and keeps you thinking. I hate most serious anime, but this was really good and the arts nice too.

Vampire Princess Miyu and Tokyo Mew Mew are good choices, as well as Love Hina.

Love Hina is <i>precisely</i> the kind of anime he didn’t want :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah really, that’s the second time now, don’t you people read :open_mouth:

I jest.

I remember seeing Lain a while ago, I think I’ll include that, thanks Nul. Noir and X also sound pretty interesting, I’ll have to check them out. WHR has also piqued my interest.

Pokemon and NGE are completely out of the question, can’t stand both of them. I watched a bit of FLCL a little while ago, didn’t find it very interesting.

Thanks for these, keep 'em coming.

I was thinking Last Exile or RG Veda. I’m not sure if Nightwalker would qualify(even slightly) as romance, but it’s pretty interesting.
I second Lain and boogiepop phantom though. ^^