Need a game.

Try to get your hands on Blood Omen (the first one, not the crappy sequel). It’s not 100% RPG (it has a lot of Zelda elements in the gameplay), but it has a TERRIFIC story (that’s fleshed out even more in the crappy sequel, the Soul Reaver series and Defiance), pretty difficult enemies, a neat assortment of spells, items and equipment, and of course, the ultimate badass: Kain.

Originally posted by Bing
[b]I remember Monkey Island! What ever happened to it…?

As for games I’d suggest: try Fire Emblam for the GBA. Lots of fun, if you like stratagies. [/b]

They released three more in the series, and it is belived they will release at least one more. Monkey Island III: The Cure of Monkey Island is the greatest of them all, but very hard to get your hands on. Being too old to be found in stores, and too large and new to be found on Abandonware sites.

Mumbles something about being tired of everyone bashing BOFV

I hate when people do this…look, don’t just break the game down before you get to rent it at least. BOFV is the best game in the series…so far from what I’ve seen. Besides the Fou-Lu scenarios, I felt a great amount of apathy towards it. I didn’t care about Nina, I didn’t care about Ursula, I didn’t give a damn about Cray…I cared more about Ershin or whatever that machine’s name was more than anybody else besides Fou-Lu. That’s sad. BOF2 wasn’t much better, and I didn’t finish either of the games. BOFV is the first Breath Of Fire game I can connect with, that I feel was layed out with the sense that things had to change. It’s a intricate work that shouldn’t be missed.

Well Cid, I hate to break it to you, but you’ll have to get maybe a third game? :stuck_out_tongue: Star Ocean 3 release date pushed back. Check it out:

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2004/1169.html

I know. I’m actually happy about it, though, 'cause it means we’re getting the Director’s Cut. 8p

Anyway… long story short, I’ve gotten so many suggestions that I’m even more confused than I was when I started. >_< I was hoping I’d get people agreeing on things. I’ll probably have to rent anyway. I just think I’ll go a bit crazy with the 3-day rentals… hope they have 5-day ones of the games I want.

CH: I’ve heard about the Netflix sort of thing, but I live in a pretty big city and there’s a Blockbuster five minutes away from my house (and another two within ten minutes), so I’d rather stick with those. :sunglasses:

Originally posted by Tomiko
[b]Yay for arguing with physical evidence :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry, but I know enough about it to know that it isn’t an RPG. At best, it’s a bastardized version of what could have been an rpg.

By your logic, Poker is an rpg. It’s turn based, you get more chips and gambling money as you go along, etc. You get more experience as you play more, your judgement increases.

And also, simply having “rpg qualities” doesn’t make a game an RPG. Tony hawk’s not even close to an RPG, and yet it has almost every quality of one. I believe there’s even a shrine on it.

And it still stands that Kotor is a pretty shitty game. It’s a Star Wars game. They’re almost as bad as those thousands of supercrap $5 sport games on PSX. [/b]

KOTOR is VERY much an RPG. I think that you are very confused about the game. KOTOR has been voted game of the year at several places. Also, it has leveling up, spells (the force), equipable armor and weapons, a deep story, towns (the different planets), mini-games, money, healing/power-up items, party members, turn based battle, it has experience points and stats and levels. Aside from battles not going to another screen, I can’t think of how anybody cannot call it an RPG. I’m am almost positive that you are thinking of Jedi Academy (which is a pretty good action game in its own right). Yes there are many crappy Star Wars games, however, many of the recent ones have been pretty good.

You may want to add that the turn-based combat actually unfolds in real time, so videos would make the game seem otherwise. 1 turn = 6 seconds, with the ability to pause at any given moment to issue commands. IMO, KoToR is moreso an RPG than the Final Fantasies, in the sense that you can actually roleplay your’ character (as opposed to just watching 100% pre-scripted dialogue ala FF)

Originally posted by IonMage
You may want to add that the turn-based combat actually unfolds in real time, so videos would make the game seem otherwise. 1 turn = 6 seconds, with the ability to pause at any given moment to issue commands. IMO, KoToR is moreso an RPG than the Final Fantasies, in the sense that you can actually roleplay your’ character (as opposed to just watching 100% pre-scripted dialogue ala FF)

Good points IonMage. Yeah, the way the combat is displayed does make it look like an action RPG (which is cool). Also, the choices throughout the game do make it more of an RPG than many games we call RPGs since you actually affect what is going on constantly.

Once again, you’re listing qualities of RPGs, which have nothing to do with whether a game actually is an RPG :stuck_out_tongue:

And for the love of Christ, quit presuming I don’t know what I’m talking about just because really you have no argument. I know what Kotor is. I’m not some creepy retard who sits in the corner of the room angsting. I fucking know my stuff.

Let’s just agree that while you consider it an rpg, I don’t.

Not only does Bioware (creator of Neverwinter Nights and cocreater of the Baldur’s Gate series), the company that made the damned game, describe it as an RPG, but it uses Star Wars d20 Rules, and Star Wars d20 is, yes, a RPG system.

There seems to be more evidence for it being an RPG (in this thread) than against, so why don’t you please give us some actual evidence?

EDIT: Although, Infonick… uh… “affecting what is going on constantly?” I thought that was like uh… games. In general. Most of them. =p

i completly agree with Skankin’ Garbage since SO2 was by far my favorite game i’ve ever played because of the masive Replay value i’ve actually beaten it close to 10 times now though i’ve wasted alot of time on it when i could of been increasing my IQ by doing my homework. lol

uhl, no one’s accusing you of anything, just arguing. but, what exactly is your definition of RPG? How do you know KoToR isn’t one? How much experience have you had with the game? And what genre do you put it in?

Back on topic–suggestion games to Cid.

If you like strategy games (or are into Magic[the card game]), I suggest Culdcept.

Enough with the suggestions. I said I only need two games, and I’ve been given twenty. Giving me more will just confuse me more. ^^;

Originally posted by Cybercompost
[b]Not only does Bioware (creator of Neverwinter Nights and cocreater of the Baldur’s Gate series), the company that made the damned game, describe it as an RPG, but it uses Star Wars d20 Rules, and Star Wars d20 is, yes, a RPG system.

There seems to be more evidence for it being an RPG (in this thread) than against, so why don’t you please give us some actual evidence?

EDIT: Although, Infonick… uh… “affecting what is going on constantly?” I thought that was like uh… games. In general. Most of them. =p [/b]

I mean affect the direction of the game. Such as there is one water area in the game. You have two choices to beat the final boss, pollute the water or fix this equipment and drive him away. You pollute the water and you’ll go to a tough trial to be allowed to go to the planet or or not. If you are found guilty, you can no longer go to the planet. You’ve completed, the essentials on the planet, but there is other stuff to do there. Also, the order you visit and complete the planets affects the outcome and events on the planets you do after it.

Also, Tomiko, we’ve given the majority of classifications of RPGs and said that KOTOR has them, but you have yet to give a single reason why it isn’t. Would you mind enlightening us as to why you are correct and the rest of the world is wrong? I haven’t seen anybody anywhere else say that it isn’t an RPG.