N64, GC, and now Revolution. Nintendo & Sega.

Who is better:

A. Super Mario Brothers
B. Sonic The Hedgehog

Alright, it is a joke. What I really want is to discuss is any Nintendo & SEGA expeirence that you guys and gals have.

SEGA was the only non-Nintendo system that I love due to the Sonic The Hedgehog games. 1/2 of my Gamecube games are SEGA:
Sonic Mega Collection
Sonic Gems Collection
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic Adventure 2
Skies of Arcadia
Phastasy Star Online

Somehow, it is still weird to play Sonic The Hedgehog on an Nintendo console, due to the Battle of the Consoles in the 90’s.

“Want color, then buy our GameGear instead of the black-and-white GameBoy”
~SEGA Commerical with the GameBoy VS GameGear

“It is on the Super NES, not 32-Bits, and especially not on SEGA, it is made by Nintendo”
~Nintendo Donkey Kong Country Commerical

God, yes. Whenever I’m in my local game store and see Sonic for the Gamecube I shake my head. I was a soldier of the glorious Nintendo Army, and yearned for the ultimate conquest over Sega. But it would have been a far, far greater thing for Sega t have died than to be subjected like this. It’s just… wrong.

Let review the Nintendo 64 and GameCube, and see what changes will Nintendo be doing with the new console, Revolution.

Nintendo 64 (1996-2001)
Retail: $199.99 (1996)
Now: $39.99 (2006)

A problem was the start. It lost Squaresoft (SquareEnix), which equal no RPG’s. Sure enough you seen Mario and Zelda in 3-D, and fun puzzle games from RARE like Banjo Kazookie. What did Nintendo gain from 1996-2001?

GameCube (2001-2007)
Retail: $199.99 (2001)
Now: $99.99 (2006)

Small Disks minus the DVD player made 107% improvements since the ill-fated Nintendo 64. SEGA joined Nintendo, smart move to put two fading companies in one roof. Capcom and SEGA released their older classics such as Sonic Mega Collection and Mega Man Mania, which I still play for the fun times. Great RPG’s, finally to dawn itself since 1996 such as Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Symphonia. What did Nintedno gain from 2001-2006?

Nintendo Revolution (2006-2011)
Retail: $199.99-299.99

It isn’t release yet, but “What will Nintendo gain from this experience?”

The Box (2011-2015)

Predicting the Future Console…372 Bit console, cyberspace abilities, headaches, and seeing Mario, Zelda, and MegaMan face-to-face…finally…

I was always on the side of Sega. And now? Frankly, I think it’s awesome, all the Nintendo/Sonyphiles can finally appreciate what they’ve missed out on all these years.

Sega did not join Nintendo. Sega is a third-party developer who puts their games on Nintendo consoles, same as e.g. Capcom.

Yeah, Sega’s also made exclusives for PS2 (Gungrave, Virtua Fighter 4) and Xbox (JSRF, Panzer Dragoon Orta). Many of Sega’s GCN exclusives are now on PS2 and Xbox due to lack of sales (like the Sonic and Monkey Ball games).

And the price of the N64 isn’t $39.99, according to Nintendo the MSRP is still $99.99, and if you find a store that still has a new one (like an EB near me), they still sell it for $99.99. They sell used ones for $7.99, though.

I’m not sure what “Mega Man Mania” is, but I assume you’re referring to either Mega Man Anniversary Collection or Mega Man X Collection, both of which are available on other consoles than GCN. If you want to talk about a Capcom exclusive for GCN, look at the REmake of Resident Evil 1. RE4 was supposed to be exclusive to GCN, too, but lack of sales forced Capcom to release the game on PS2 and PC to make up for production costs.

There <I>were</I> RPGs on the N64, just not many. OgreBattle 64 and Paper Mario immediately come to mind.

And, while, I assume it was a joke, I must point out that you can’t have a “372-bit” console. That would be so very, very, impossible that I can’t even begin on it. You could feasibly have 256-bit, 512-bit, 1024-bit, even 384-bit if you tried hard (Neo Geo was a 24-bit system). However, we no longer track our systems based on their bit-count. How many “bits” was the Xbox? No one knows (or cares). What about the X360? The Revolution? The PS3? No one knows. Why? Because there are far more important stats (video card, processor, ram, etc).

Also, the Gamegear rather sucked. It only had a handful of decent games and it ate batteries so quickly, it’s not even funny.

Just for fun:

Aidyn Chronicles
Custom Robo
Custom Robo V2
Doubutsu no Mori (does it count, haven’t actually played this series)
Fushigi no Dungeon: Furai no Shiren 2
Harvest Moon 64
Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legand of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (didn’t actually come out on N64, I know)
Mysterious Ninja starring Goemon
Ogre Battle: Person of Lordly Calibre
Paper Mario
PD Ultraman Battle Collection (didn’t get far, but it seemed kinda RPG-like)
Quest 64/Eletale Monsters
Robopon something or other
Shadowgate 64
Super Robot Taisen 64
Wonder Project J2

Missing any?

Holy crap are you right on that one.

It took me 152 AA batteries to play through Shining Force Gaiden.

Let me be clear on this, NOT many WELL-developed RPG such as Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia, that made a clear WOW factor that the Nintendo 64 could have produced since Squaresoft (SquareEnix) left them.

Dear God, another person believing The Legend of Zelda and Harvest Moon are REAL Traditional Battle RPG’s.

:hahaha; I cannot believe you included Quest 64 on the list…Paper Mario was fun, but not a WOW experience such as Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, and Chrono Trigger.

Quest 64 fuckin owned. O_O

Enix made games for N64.

I don’t. Since they’re so few, I’m considering games even remotely RPG-like. :booster:
I think Nemo was referring to Squaresoft, not Enix.
Enix also published Trouble Makers (English version published by Nintendo as Mischief Makers), but that’s a platformer.

good job, guy.

http://agora.rpgclassics.com/showthread.php?t=25947

You are not forgiven. I demand tribute.

Boo Alliance. Boo WoW.

Boo.

So, should I forsee an affordable copy of Dracula X in the future?