My Thoughts on FFX-2 (mild spoilers)

Yep, beaten it and got the normal ending.

Tidus ;_;

Now playing a New Game +

Wow.

The game looks cool, but feels completly backwards (for example, in the menu, all the options are on the left side, as opposed to the right side, where they’ve been for all the other games). Plus, the battle system is just obsecenly fast. I really don’t have any idea what to do other than attack - nothing else seems to be worth doing since I’m getting pummled.

Why, exactly, is everything on crack? From the battle system to Leblanc’s voice - everything is just wacky.

'Cause it’s a wacky game. 8p Really, it’s not a serious FF game in any way except for a very few scenes. That doesn’t mean it’s not enjoyable. Although I will admit that Brother is absolutely insane. I have no idea WHAT they were thinking when they gave him his animation and voice.

You can slow the battles down in the config menu, by the way. And once you get used to it you’ll be doing okay. I was overwhelmed at first too. ^^;

Is it possible to get the perfect ending on the first game?
Or does it need to be New Game +?

It is possible, but really only if you’re using an FAQ. If you’re playing by yourself there’s no way you’d get every single scene you need to get 100% unless you had prior knowledge.

Yeah, this game is VERY sneaky, some of the things you need to do are either so inobvious you just miss them, or so hard they frustrate you. For example, I only just NOW beat the Gunner’s Gauntlet game in Chapter Two. Man, I hate when an RPG forces you to play minigames to progress. They should always be optional. (note: you only have to play that game if you want the full game completion.)

And yes, this game IS wacky in many ways. I believe it is an experiment in Square’s part- they are trying a LOT of new stuff in it, from the story to the game mechanics. Perhaps TOO much for one game.

At least I’ll be having a lot of fun when I post my personal review of this game… which probably won’t be until late January.

Um, the mini-game you’re talking about is hardly required to finish the game.

Well, I got the game!

It has a quite unusual…flavor…

(sigh) I missed the whole cart situation in Chapter 1, which effects many rewards.

Yep, the girls are dressed like skanks in almost all their outfits. :noway: Oh well, there’s always the Trainer class…

The new mini-games suck, that’s for sure. Gunner’s Gauntlet, Lightning Towers, Lupine Dash…yuck. Well, at least I’m not dodging 200 lightning strikes or chasing butterflies…

The new music is a mixed bag. I love the Zanarkand and Leblanc battle musics, but ugh, the desert theme. ::doh::

There’s so many cute moments in the game, though. Like when you “liberate” the outfits, or when you “marry” the squatter monkeys and the little legend about them pops up.

I hated choosing a faction to side with, because now the Youth League is snarling at the Gullwings…

Originally posted by Cidolfas
Um, the mini-game you’re talking about is hardly required to finish the game.

Uh, Cid, go back and read my post… I said you have to play it IF you want the full 100% game completion, which I’m trying to get. I just don’t believe minigames should be part of it. I play RPGs PRECISELY because I suck at things like shooting games.

Well, minigames are by definition optional, and so is getting 100%. Optional. You could just as well say that you shouldn’t have any rare items won from mini-games, because then you’d have to play them. If you don’t get any rewards for playing mini-games, why would you ever include them?

Playing one type of game because you suck at others is kinda strange.

Because I find it unfair that, to see one of the story’s endings in an RPG, I HAVE to play minigames that have NOTHING to do with roleplaying (in the usual sense.) I’d much rather tackle the 101-level dungeon (which IS another Completion requirement) than play shooting or math-based games. Somebody should have given us a warning about that before we bought the game.

Just expressing my personal opinion. More on it when I post my review.

Originally posted by Cidolfas
Although I will admit that Brother is absolutely insane. I have no idea WHAT they were thinking when they gave him his animation and voice.

Did anyone else think he seemed a bit too fond of Yuna for being first cousins? O_o

Well, first cousins do get married (I know a few who have).

In any case, the special ending is a bonus. You get bonuses from playing mini-games. I don’t see what the problem is.

In any case, though, to the best of my knowledge you don’t actually need to win the SB tournament, nor do you have to actually beat Gunner’s Gauntlet to get that percentage. Worse comes to worst, if you replay the game as New Game+, you can easily get 100% because there’s really much more than 100% of scenes out there. :sunglasses: It’s just very hard to do in a single playthrough. In particular, if you just give the sphere to both New Yevon and Youth League in two different games, you’ll get a big difference in a bunch of scenes.

You know, maybe I AM jumping to conclusions… I am assuming that the guide is correct in its completion tips; also, that that bonus scene is an IMPORTANT part of the story- for all I know it could just be Tidus and Yuna kissing, or something like that. (Wouldn’t THAT be a letdown?) :hahaha;

In any case, I WILL be playing once more, since I WANT to see the what-if-they-gave the-sphere-to-New-Yevon scenes. Hey, it’s my responsability as the New Content Editor at the FF Compendium! (Salutes!) 8 )

I’ve got a few things to add:

One, I agree with Wil when it comes to the mini-game thing. The story (even if it is “bonus” story) should not depend on completing a mini-game perfectly. The mini-games you had to do the get the Ultimate Weapons in FFX were OK because you did not need them to beat the game.

Next, my friend and I just beat the game at 98% last night. My advise to those are going nuts to get 100% is don’t go for it unless you totally want it. The “Good” ending is very good by itself. The Good ending is the one you getwhen you press X at the Farplane Glen scene at the end of the game to hear a whistle and then select “Yes!”.

Lastly, I got a question. Has anybody got far enough down the 100 floor dungeon to fight a Master Tonberry? My friend and I tried twice but lost pitifully both times.

Actually, you never have to fight a Master Tonberry or an Elder Drake. You can always avoid those battles if you know what to do.

The only real way you can beat them (and most of the bosses in that accursed dungeon) is by using the Cat Nip accessory you win on level 40. Give it to your Gunner, have her in critical condition, and use Trigger Happy for an instant win.

Out of curiosity, what jobs do you have on what people? I use Rikku as a thief/black mage, Yuna as a Gunner/White Mage and due to a lack of dress spheres, I only have Paine as a warrior.

I mastered Gunner and Dark Knight with Yuna. Currently, she is a black mage.

I mastered Thief and Berserker for Rikku. She is an Alchemist now.

I mastered Warrior and Dark Knight with Paine. She is a samurai now.

Thanks Cid. I wasn’t in the room when my friend encountered the Tonberry. I just saw him get slaughtered.

Right now I just started a new game plus. I have Yuna as a Black Mage, Riku as a Songstress with a White Mage Garment Grid, and Paine as a Songstress with the Dark Knight/Berserker Garment Grid.

I have them in these classses because they are the few that aren’t mastered yet.