Movies in 2008

Originally Posted by Wilfredo Martinez
LIVE ACTION Dragonball Z movie

Since you brought it up I thought I would share Wizard Magazine’s (and perhaps the most eloquent) description of the movie’s premise.

“A movie about an Alien that defects to the Earth and battles to protect it.”

With that said, here’s some more upcoming train wrecks.
G.I. Joe; There will be no G.I.'s, No Joes, and No Real American Heroes. So far that’s three strikes against it.
Voltron; I don’t know enough to say how it’s going to turn out, but I going to out on a limb here and guess that it’s going to be something like the Power Rangers movie.
He-Man; supposedly to be an origin story actually set on Eternia this time. There’s nowhere for this movie to go but up.
Thunder Cats; another movie based on a TV show aired back in our early days. Another origin story too. Also another possible train wreck.
Astro Boy; they’re promising not to set this in something other than the distant year 2000, but they’re also promising that they can get it off the ground.
Battle Angel Alita; if it’s anything like Dark Angel then it may not be worth watching. Provided of course that James Cameron decides when (or if) the movie should hit theaters.
Castlevaina; if they can make it into something other than every other Dracula movie ever made then I could say that this one has a chance. A good fight with Death should do the trick.
Street Fighter 2; here you go Wil. You can wash down that LA DBZ movie with this one. It’s also supposedly going to star Chun Li too which in of itself is a mixed bag.
Mortal Kombat 3; and what would a Street Fighter be like without MK trying desperately to imitate it. Note the key word ‘desperately’.

I could probably think of a dozen or so more, but I think that’s enough for one day. And yes, I realize that some of these movies haven’t started production yet, or will even make it to theaters before the end of the decade. But it’s always good for a cringing laugh. (or cry)

Not only is SF2 going to star Chun Li, my understanding is that other than Bison, nobody else is even going to make an appearance in it.

I hadn’t even heard about pretty much any other movie you mentioned there. Now I’m nervous. -_-

The movie industry has ruined me. All I think about when I hear about these movies is what it means to me. Not whether it’s bad or good - I know the variables which will determine whether or not it’s going to make a lot of money and how good it is is a factor which can quickly be overridden.

Cloverfield will make a great deal of money. It comes out in January when Legend, Wilson’s War and other holiday movies will be past their prime. It was a brilliant move actually. What guarantee its supremacy is a PG-13 rating. If it does so, it’s victory is assured. I’ve seen plenty of movies that aren’t worth a nickle rake in cash because of th demographics and the fact that parents love dropping their kids off on Friday. One Missed Call sold out it’s first two days in our 7:00 rush because of this pheomenon. It had nothing to do with quality. I wish they’d raise them to have some respect, but that’s another story.

Killmore, that’s creepy. Especially Castlevania, if the producer thinks videogame+dracula.

Mullenkamp: Yup, you are right, it’s often facts like those that make or break a movie, more than its quality (or lack of.) We should keep that in mind when judging a movie.

Killmore: of the movies you mention, GI JOE and ASTRO BOY are the ones closer to being made; JOE is already being cast. But as you said, they want to un-Americanize it as much as possible, most likely due to the unpopularity of the Iraq war around the world. Just give me a Sexy Baroness and I’m sold, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

And am I the only one who thinks the Van Helsing movie was a lot like a Live Action Castlevania? I kinda like it.

This just in! Goku is being played by… Justin Chatwin, the guy who played Tom Cruise’s son in War of the Worlds? O_O Then again, I never figured Tobey Maguire would make a good Spider-Man, so who knows…

The role of Chun-Li is played by the girl from SmallVille who wouldn’t make a very convincing full-blooded Chinese to me. Unless they are going to make her father (Killed by Vega/Mike Bison) American or something stupid like that? This is still the best live action Street Fighter out there. And that’s only because it laughs at itself (seems very well-shot for an independant series of films).

In other news, American McGee’s Alice is supposed to be released this summer. It’s based off that twisted PC game that continues the story after Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. In the game anyway, her parents DIAF that she survives because her wonderland friends warn her and she goes insane or seems insane to those around her and is subsequently institutionalized.

I don’t think you are looking at the movie in the right manner. In the hypothetical situation of a giant monster attacking a city, a regular citizen would not know where the monster came from, or even what it completely looks like. They do not have “god vision” or third person helicopter views to check it out, they just want to get the hell out of there. And with the way most militarys run things, the civilian would not know what happens to the monster (right away) either. It’s too bad you find those things detracting from your overall enjoyment of a film because I find the speculative plot/effects devices very interesting and almost crucial to being true to the concept.

And why does the supposed lack of information on the monster stop it from being a full story? The very definition of a story is the telling of some event or portion of time. Just because it doesn’t give an objective look at the scenario doesn’t hinder it from being a “full story”. It can be the full story of the protagonist of the film, who doesn’t happen to be in some romanticized glory position or know-it-all-and-save-the-day role. And that’s not to say the protagonist can’t be a hero either; just, the hero status wouldn’t be as simple as defeating the monster. Perhaps it could even be metaphorical. Fuck, who knows, it’s art!!

Summit annouced that they will start the production of Twilight (Personally, my favourite book) and I think it might be ready in the reaches of 2008.

Another addition to the list: A live action adaptation of Where the Wild Things Are children’s book. The SFX will be done with people in suits, puppets, and some CGI. Comes out in October.

Uh… WHAWHAWHA?

I mean, the Cat in the Hat was bad enough. Why on earth do people insist on trying to make a two-hour movie out of a book that had about a hundred and fifty words? O_o

Another addition to the list: A live action adaptation of Where the Wild Things Are children’s book. The SFX will be done with people in suits, puppets, and some CGI. Comes out in October.

Yeah, what Cid said, those guys will most likely fuck this up by trying to make it ‘edgy’ or something.

I mean, the Cat in the Hat was bad enough. Why on earth do people insist on trying to make a two-hour movie out of a book that had about a hundred and fifty words? O_o

Two words: Name Recognition. As you can tell from the examples in my first post, Hollywood would much rather extend or adapt an existing property than risk creating something original. Sometimes they’ll even attach a “brand name” to a movie that has little to do with the source. Remember UNDERDOG?
:thud:

Speaking of adaptations, here’s another one: In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale, based on the video game of the same name; comes out this month. Is DS that well known?

Its a popular one, but you have to consider the director: Uwe Boll. Uwe “can’t make a movie to save his life” Boll. Uwe “makes movies on video games without understanding, or maybe playing them.” Boll.

The Ed Wood of our century, only with a cult hating, instead of a cult following.

smacks you upside the head for no spoiler tag

Um, Trill, I specifically noted it was just a rumor (and later confirmed it was not correct) and that was why I didn’t Spoiler Tag it. Or did you even read that part? 0.o If I had any certainty it was a spoiler, I wouldn’t have mentioned it openly.

Ouchie ::doh::

smacks you upside the head ANYWAY

:stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, that pic is a blatant ripoff of FFX :stuck_out_tongue: If the movie actually used that(and it isn’t), the makers would be facing some serious legal action.

More movies coming out this year. WARNING: I took this list from another board, it’s not official like the one from the newspaper. In fact, so far I’ve only confirmed REPO as being real. Still, there are some interesting ideas in here. No information on any, though.

Bachelor Party 2: The Last Temptation
Goal 3
Funny Games
The Hottie And The Nottie
Repo! The Genetic Opera!
Men
Fantastic Planet (remake?)
Meet The Spartans (300 parody?)
Tunnel Rats
Far Cry
Choke
The Changeling
Frost/Nixon
The Love Guru

Repo! is a… musical… about a future where people repossess unpaid-for organ transplants…? ‘Weird’ isn’t good enough a word to describe it. 0_o

Fantastic Planet was a french animated Sci fi movie from the 70’s, I believe. I assume this must be a remake, not sure if it’s animated or live action. The original was a somewhat controversial, but interesting story about the last survivors of humanity being kept as pets by giant aliens. It also featured some very surreal imagery. I may watch this one as well.

Meet the Spartans is basically Epic Movie 2. If you didn’t know it was real, I assume Puerto Rico has been spared from the deluge of trailers for it. Comes out the 25th.

I’m looking forward to Dark Knight. Heath Ledger did a very good job portraying Joker like Jack Nicholson did.

Jumper seems like they’re using the Next franchise, only focusing on different powers. It seems iffy to me.