Movies in 2008

This is an (incomplete) list of movies that will premiere this year, in case you want to get your movie going planned early.

Man, there are a LOT of sequels, just like last year. And a lot of remakes as well! AND lots of adaptations from other existing sources. I guess it’s true that original ideas are running out in Hollywood. (The Writer’s Strike probably has to do with it as well.)

These are all taken from a local newspaper btw.

Movies with a * are the ones I’m going to see.

Here are the Sequels:
X-Files 2 (The truth is STILL out there, I guess…)
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull* (yup, ANOTHER Indi movie! But hey, I love them. The title could be shortened to just “and the Crystal Skull” if you ask me.)
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor* (wow, another Mummy movie? while I liked the first two, I think this is taking it too far.)
Madagascar: The Crate Escape* Yeah! I loved Madagascar, and I hope this is just as funny.
The Pirates who Don’t Do Anything: A Veggie Tales movie If they don’t do anything, what is the movie about? :stuck_out_tongue:
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 Unexpected sequel #1
Harold and Kumar escape from Guantanamo Ohh, I see trouble for this one already!
Saw V: I’m not watching these even if put on a deathtrap myself.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince*: next-to-last HP movie, and probably another megahit
New James Bond movie, name to be announced
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian* Will the franchise thrive?
Punisher: War Zone Naah, I’m not into vigilantes.
George A. Romero’s Diary of the Dead Zombies keep diaries? 0.o
The Dark Knight* sequel to Batman Begins. NOT based on the Return of the Dark Knight novels, however.
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army* Oohh yeah!

Remakes:
Star Trek* Starting the franchise all over, or so they hope.
Clive Barker Presents: Hellraiser- apparently a remake of the first
The Day The Earth Stood Still* Whoa, this is a surprise! the original was a classic. Will they screw it up? Klaatu Barada Nikto!!
Death Race: remake of Death Race 2000
Motel Hell Wow, this one is really obscure.
Prom Night I think it’s horror, not sure.
Fame! I wanna dance forever, I wanna be on the remake!
The Eye: another Japanese horror movie remake, ala The Ring. Do they remake our movies?
Get Smart!* Yup, Agent 86 is back, folks, and The Office’s Steve Carell is playing him.
The Incredible Hulk*: This one will be more faithful to the comics. Hulk Smash Puny Ang Lee Movie!
One Missed Call Yet another J-horror remake.

Adapted from other sources
:
Wanted: Superhero movie where the bad guys win. Based on the comic book. Not gonna see it.
Sex and the City: The Movie AKA as Four Horny Bitches.
Speed Racer Yes, it’s LIVE ACTION, folks…
Mamma Mia! based on the ABBA musical. Wasn’t Hairspray bad enough?
Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who Ok, THIS is the most unexpected movie of the year. 0.o
The Spiderwick Chronicles based on the novels. I don’ know anything about them.
Iron Man*: THE movie I want to see this year.

Original ones (sort of)

Superhero! Parody of the superhero movie genre. I MAY see it, unless it’s just the usual add-sex-and-foul-words type parody. There’s plenty to make fun of about superheros, and nobody knows it better than us fans. :stuck_out_tongue:
Cloverfield: Blair Witch meets Godzilla 2000? I’ll wait until I know more. And are they REALLY using that title!?
Untraceable: Serial killer posts on the internet. Yawn.
10000 BC: Cavemen versus ancient civilization? MAY be good…
Valkyrie: Tom Cruise as a Nazi planning to kill Hitler…? Nah.
Bedtime Stories: Adam Sandler as a father whose bedtime stories come true. I can’t stand Sandler, so no.
Semi-Pro: Will Ferrell as a 70’s Basketball Team Owner? No.
Big Stan: Prison comedy starring Rob Schneider. UGH.

Did I miss anything? Probably. Let me know.

I’m actually hyped about 2008. I really wanna see Indy, the next HP and The Dark Knight.

I’m very curious about Cloverfield, even if only because I don’t know what’s going to happen. :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to watching the next Indiana Jones movie, the Dark Knight, and the next James Bond movie (hi, Daniel Craig!). I may feel quirky and watch Speed Racer, too.

Looking forward to X-Files 2. I wonder how they’ll further develop the conspiracy…

Oh yeah, and I want to see what the monster in Cloverfield looks like.

Supposedly its a Cthulu.

I’m really excited about Sex and the City!! I also wanna watch Harold and Kumar and James Bond, but other than that, those movies seem kind of bleh.

The Day The Earth Stood Still* Whoa, this is a surprise! the original was a classic. Will they screw it up?
This could be a nice gift for Keanu Reeves fans.

Did I miss anything? Probably. Let me know.
How about 21 – another cards/ gambling flick.
Jumper – a sci-fi novel adaptation could be interesting.
And I hope the A-Team remake will hit theaters this year.

No, they remake our pulp detective short fiction. Then we remake that.

10000 BC may be the nexus of awesome for this year -based on the name of course. Who knows about the execution?

Craig Bond 2 will be interesting too and I can’t deny Valkyrie has a certain charm. If either Hitler or Tom Cruise dies, it’s probably worth the price of entrance.

According to some artwork I saw online, the monster in Cloverfield is a mutant whale. It drops off giant Sea Louses, too. (Does that remind anybody of Sin? No, not our beloved leader, :stuck_out_tongue: the monster from FF X.)

Mind you, that could’ve been just fan artwork (though it looked pretty well done) OR it could be early production sketches, so there’s no guarantee that it is correct (which is why I didn’t spoiler-tag it.)

The thing is, the whole “seen only from the camera of some tourists” Blair-Witch approach could mean that we might NEVER see the full monster. If that’s the case, count me out.

Also, “Cloverfield” apparently is the Army’s codeword for the monster within the movie. Which hints at a military conspiracy, ala “The Host”.

And I just found about “Jumpers”, too. Sounds like 'X-Men" what withs persecution of people with teleportation powers. Samuel Jackson is the villain. MAY be worth watching…

According to some artwork I saw online, the monster in Cloverfield is a mutant whale. It drops off giant Sea Louses, too. (Does that remind anybody of Sin? No, not our beloved leader, :stuck_out_tongue: the monster from FF X.)

I saw the same artwork and it does look like a blatant ripoff of Sin. Either its fake, or the director is ripping off Square.

Do I spot myself a contradiction. :stuck_out_tongue:

But apart from that, I’m really looking forward to The Dark Knight, and maybe Iron Man.

Maybe Wanted as well, though I’ve heard they’re taking a different angle to the comic. From what I read of the comic, this makes me sad, it was pretty awesome.

What about the Halo movie? I heard thats coming out in 2008. . .

I heard the Halo movie got canned because the budget would be huge and there isn’t a big enough audience for it.

I called it!!!

Cloverfield is the movie I’m looking forward to the most. I’m a big fan of monster movies, and the concept of one from the perspective of the victims sounds very interesting.

And of course I’m looking forward to The Dark Knight. Damn that looks good.

Halo IS in pre-production (again), and is being produced by Peter Jackson and directed by Neil Blomkamp. From what I understand, Fox and Universal backed out, but Microsoft has taken thier place. Don’t expect it to come out this year.

I’ve also heard that God of War is getting a movie as well, and I think it is being produced by the guy from Batman Begins. Also, I heard rumours about a Resistance:FOM movie by Micheal Bay, but this appears to be wishful thinking from some fanboy; Micheal Bay’s own website mentions NOTHING about it.

Do I spot myself a contradiction. :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, I should’ve said, “I don’t like antiheroes”. Bats is a vigilante, but I don’t expect him to kill anybody anytime soon. :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw, I have now confirmed, after searching a few links, that the Cloverfield art I mentioned IS fan art, so no, it’s not official. (Unless that’s disinformation from the movie’s producers…) We’ll see soon. I also heard a rumor that the movie never explains the monster, or even reveals what happens to it! Sounds worse and worse…

And get this: The LIVE ACTION Dragonball Z movie is already being shot- in Mexico! Most of the stars are Anglos. The guy who played Spike in Buffy is the main villain (Piccolo)! 0.o (Visions of Street Fighter: The Movie come to my eyes. The Horror, the Horror…)

Why does that sound worse? Is the concept of a civilian perspective of a monster attack disagreeable to you?

Hah, live action DBZ! That must be the perfect trainwreck. By the way as the Dark Knight is the sequel of Batman Begins, I’ll see that one too.

No, not if handled well. But if the movie gives no explanation to the monster, never shows it fully, and doesn’t tell us what happens to it in the end (the rumor I heard literally has it disappearing without a trace) then it would be too frustrating for me to watch. Even if the focus are the human characters, without those elements it isn’t a full story. (And no I didn’t like Blair Witch, for the same reasons.)

Movies like that can be scary, though. Think Blair Witch. At the end, when she sees the guy just standing in the corner, that was scary as hell, even though there was no explanation for it.

I think Cloverfield is gonna be good, too, though I’m a little too old to be actually scared by it. But it can still evoke a sense of mystery and chill, which I"m hoping it will. I just hope the monster isn’t the giant walking whale :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: Saw your previous post, Wilfredo. :stuck_out_tongue: