Most fragile console?

Which of the many consoles out there is the most fragile? Ie. The one most likely to break?

Personally, I think it’s the original NES. Stupid flashy bluey-pinky messed up start screen.

Do DREs count?

Sega Game Gear. Way too chunky to be hand held, so it had this habit of getting mashed up.

The NES is probably the most resiliant console of all time. I’ve had mine for over 15 years now, and works as well as it ever has. And it’s taken shitloads of abuse. I punched a hole through it, spilt shit on it, dropped it, everything. And I’ve heard of tons of stories of people abusing their NESes, and lo and behold, they still work.

The NES is, however, remarkably vulnerable to dust, so the “flashing screen of death” isn’t uncommon. However, this just means that the pin connector or game contacts are dirty; it doesn’t mean that it’s broke.

Generally, Nintendo does a good job making its consoles and handhelds pretty durable. Systems with moving parts (ie any disc based system) are far more likely to break than the NES (or SNES, or Genesis, or N64 or whatever). I hear about stories of newer consoles breaking all the time.

The actual Nintendo system may have been resilient, but the cartridges consistently messed up after you had owned them for awhile.

As for the three current main consoles, that evil TV station I now hate did a test to see which one was most durable. The Xbox was out first, the PS2 next and the Gamecube is most resilient.

PS1. I heard people complain about the PS2 as well.

Again, it’s because they get dirty, and the NES is extremely sensitive to dirt. A good cleaning generally does the trick.

Well, My original box NES worked for about 11 years

My first PSX lasted me about a year and a half

My first PS2 lasted 7 months

You do the math.

IMO, Sony makes the most fragile console. Though my old roommate in Ohio had a PS2 that had had flour thrown inside it, was put through a wall and slammed on the floor, dropped, and had beer spilt on it and it still worked. which is messed up, because MINE stayed in the exact same spot for seven months. I tried to play a game and it didn’t work.

My NES lasted six months before the deathy-flashy-screeny-thingy was all I’d get. If it would even turn on.

Although, the worst record I’ve gotten would be that stupid Power Player thing I got at a mall somewhere.

ONE DAY before something was wrecked. I was playing Duck Hunt, and the trigger on the gun snapped! Just from normal playing! Everything else works great, but the gun is hell to work now. I have to hold it with my hand around the barrel, and squeeze (wow, this sounds dirty) in the general trigger area, hoping it would work. And that list of games! “76000.” Righht. It’s probably more like 50, considering the number of repeats.

Conversely, what would you say is the most durable system?

I’d say the SNES. It’s gotta be built like a TANK! As I’ve said, I’ve had mine for 11 years, and it’s had all kinds of abuse heaped on it, but it still works fine. I was even playing FF6 today!

My NES lasted six months before the deathy-flashy-screeny-thingy was all I’d get. If it would even turn on.
As Hiryuu said, the NES is very sensitive to dust. If even a few specks of dust get inside it, it won’t work unless you clean it. However, I was able to put the NES through drywall without destroying it. I did that once in a drunken rage.

I was playing Duck Hunt, and the trigger on the gun snapped! Just from normal playing! Everything else works great, but the gun is hell to work now.
The same exact thing happened to my light gun as well. Though I think Nintendo has consistently made durable gaming equipment, I think the light gun for NES was a piece of crap. I also had another light gun that was calibrated incorrectly. I never figured out how to fix that, either. The N64 Controller was also shitty quality

Conversely, what would you say is the most durable system?
I’d say either Original or Super NES was the most durable for me.
I regret selling my SNES to get a PSX. Bad call.

My GBA SP has also taken quite a bit of punishment. I’ve dropped it about 100 times(including once in the snow), and it still works fine.

And Though Sony gets my first place vote on fragility, the Sega Genesis(as much as I love it and its games) was a close second for me. The Controllers were very fragile(worse than N64). Though the second edition Genesis was much more durable than the original.

Game Gear. Mine developed some weird thing where you had to leave it at like 16% or it wouldn’t work. So, I played through the entire Shining Force: Sword of Hajya at 16% and saving like every three turns. All because I was on the second to last battle when this thing happened, and the entire data got erased since I was saving at the time. Argh.

I’m hearing horror stories about the new PSP. Does Sony not want people to keep giving it money?

The GBA SP is solid as a rock. I have doubts about what a DS could withstand though. It’s tough enough, but doesn’t feel as hardy as the GBA SP does.

That would void the warranty, moron.

nope, because

Sinistral said exactly what I was thinking.

My NES lasted for 16+ years baby!

Every console I’ve ever owned still works, with the exception of my original Gameboy. I don’t know why the screen went out on it, but it still boots up. My NES, both Genesis, borrowed SNES, both DC’s, my N64, modded PSX, PS2, GC, and GBA SP all work fine. I even have a Game Gear that works fine but I have no games or battery covers for it since a friend gave it to me years ago, and I am fairly certain he stole it, but I borrowed a game to test it and it works. Now, controllers . . . that is a different matter, they go out on me all the time. I hate them, and I abuse them terribly.

Edit: I also had a GB Color, and a GBA that I passed off to my cousin and they both still work too.

See that’s the reason! You abuse your controllers, so they stop working. You’re getting cause and effect mixed up.

Now, if I can just… alter that quote…

Eheheheheheheh…

PS2 2nd Generation.