Methane on the rise.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

That is all.

Attention everyone.

Stop farting.

As if i didn;t have enough trouble falling asleep at night. Whee.

Cattle herding is a major source of methane. Its impressive.

On a more serious note, if there is as much methane as scientists say there is in the permafrost and it gets unleashed? To quote Gabe, we are well and truly fucked.

Less Vespene gas required.

Should probably put big balloons on cow asses to harvest methane.

This is something I made note of in the PETA thread. One of the major causes of this is mass livestock raising in deforested regions (South America particularly). If the world, particularly the USA, stopped consuming so much fucking meat it might actually tone this down. Not trying to start up the other thread again, but this is a side effect of our glutton.

My biology teacher has been mentioning these findings in class. It’s sort of scary, but also unstoppable (at this point at least). What the bigger concern is to see if we can slow it down, which may not be possible if people don’t want to make big changes in their lives.

If the permafrost methane is released, it doesn’t matter as much if we eat a lot of meat or not.

So…we’re screwed eventually? Never knew there was methane trapped down in the Arctic though. But, I don’t see too many people changing their lifestyles to stop this (too many gluttons).

As the article mentions methane levels had been steady from 1998-2006 (or thereabouts) I don’t think it’s cows that are the problem.

We need to use that permafrost like landfills are used. Extra powah!

And we have been deforesting priceless rainforest jungles for McDonald’s cows for how long now? I’m not putting the sole cause of this on cattle, but it is one of the major causes that could help soften the blow. There are of course other parts of this that have nothing to do with us.

The idea is to slow down the melting of the permafrost. There’s many scientists trying to figure it out, or so I was told. But I’m mostly saying general statements like the rest of us, but at the very least I’m trying to put a positive look on it, or a less cataclysmic one.

By the time this actually rolls around I’m sure we’ll have a solution. Until then, we need to cut out more green and get more COW

Originally Posted by Gila-Monster
The idea is to slow down the melting of the permafrost. There’s many scientists trying to figure it out, or so I was told. But I’m mostly saying general statements like the rest of us, but at the very least I’m trying to put a positive look on it, or a less cataclysmic one.

I don’t suppose that drilling here, drilling now will help us achieve that goal? Amirite?

984 is absolutely right that blaming the Americans is pointless, but not just because if the permafrost melts, which it WILL, it will make no difference. If you look at China and India, these countries are developing very rapidly, as indicated by the Tata, and with development comes demands for better living standards and nutrition. It is arrogant and hypocritical for anyone in the West to tell them they can’t have access to meat or cars. Any changes done in the West will be dwarfed by the sheer magnitude of developments across the Pacific.

So are you trying to say that we should not bother to delay this and that it is inevitable? I thought humans liked a challenge, which creates jobs for scientists such as yourself to discover new and refine old ways of helping global standards of living. Of course every country and human (in general, there are exceptions that some would bring up such as criminals) deserves fair treatment and life experience. Why doesn’t the West help the East in maintaining their inevitable development and massive populations with more efficient methods of achievement?

The people of China and India (since you mentioned them) do deserve access to meat and cars, but who says they have to start from square one? Perhaps what I am proposing is unrealistic, but with the immense networks of communcation we live in currently, you would think that we would share more? Of course I’m not on top of these matters as much as someone who has been studying these problems for years (as evident by the four questions), so it would be good to hear a response to inform myself and others.

There is honestly little that the West can do to help the East. The East is not the way it is for lack of access to proper technologies. The technology is there, but when its cheaper to pollute and when corruption is rampant and politics allow millions of people to be run over, there is nothing you can do. Developing countries won’t stall their advances just because Western countries tell them to play nice. Look at countries like Burma and Zimbabwe. The damn places are falling apart and the people are crushed by poverty and their governments yet the governments have survived decades of the crap the West has thrown in their direction. Its not human nature to do something smart, long term, when it is expensive and uncomfortable.

My argument is that if you’re going to get massively screwed no matter what happens, plan in consequence of it instead of waving your arms in distress that the end is coming. Planning ahead is not mutually exclusive with attempting to resolve the problem.

Honestly I’ve always thought the US should just nuke everyone else and finally we could have a happy world

everyone but japan.

Originally Posted by Ramza
[i]Honestly I’ve always thought the US should just nuke everyone else and finally we could have a happy world

everyone but japan.[/i]

Would that include places like Canada, England, Germany, Holland, Sweden, China, Russia, Argentina, Puerto Rico, and any other country where fellow RPGCers reside?

Way to forget Greece and leave out the best poster here.

Yeah just move to america before we send the bombs there’s plenty of room here