Methane on the rise.

Plant a tree for Jesus.

I’m supposing you’re joking. But it’s not funny.

I think he means that we have room now thanks to all the poor people getting kicked out of their homes. :thud:

A posting poster boy, so to say. Thanks, Gila, I’ll send the money to that Swiss bank account as promised.

Who lives in Russia here? The closest I know is Seifer hailing from (but not living in) Ukraine.

edit: Ireland=/ England

Paypal will work better. And we have people here from Ireland and England.

All joking aside… what would you do to plan for something of this magnitude? Or anyone for that matter? Increased temperatures and rising sea levels is hard to deal with. It proposes new challenges regarding where to move those that live in locations deemed unlivable when GW reaches greater proportions. Would we build dams around coastal cities? Move everyone north to the Northwest Territories and Siberia? It’s interesting to think about what people will do to continue on.

Great…I can see the environmentalists rioting now. “Save the word, be a vegetarian” the signs will say.

I suppose we could maybe save Europe. A very large quantity (maybe majority) of pro gamers live there.

My point was that the Irish aren’t covered under England.

Damn right.

Several cities in the netherlands and around the world have levee systems because they are actually below sea level. If they didn’t have that, they would be submerged. So yes, I am suggesting stuff like that. Make sure the money and expertise is on hand when people need it.

Originally Posted by Who me!?
Would that include places like Canada, Ireland, Germany, Holland, Sweden, China, 24 Sussex Drive, Argentina, Puerto Rico, eu, and any other location where fellow RPGCers reside?

Fixed.

Seriously though, what do you guys think of the idea that the idea that we as humans think too much of ourselves to affect the planet in any major way? I can’t think of the real name and that’s probably the best I can explain it.

That it’s silly to think we could really cause any lasting harm

As in “Drill, baby, drill?” Ha-ha.
With the recent slide of oil (from $144 to $60+), the drilling mantra sounds almost utopian. Companies developing Canada’soil sands are scaling down their development of new projects. Most of new oil sands projects require oil prices above $80 to earn an acceptable return. The costs of developing oil shale projects are even more prohibitive than oil sands excavation. Offshore drilling is not economically realistic either with the sub-$80 oil – Brazil has already acknowledged that the lower oil price is delaying its plans to develop the deepwater discoveries, which would require new fleets of offshore vessels and deepwater drilling rigs.
From the environmental point of view, and as a rational or effective energy policy, the Pickens Plan is a much more attractive alternative to the “drill, baby, drill” idea. Obama is in Pickens’ corner, btw, with a few extra essentials, like hybrid and electric vehicules.

No nukes allowed in the country where my potential ex-girlfriendslive. :wink:

http://agora.rpgclassics.com/showthread.php?t=29730
Many pundits stipulate that it is possible.

Personally, I’m more worried about the inhabitants rather than the planet and we’ve shown that we can affect them. I’d rather we pay 2% per annum than lose up to 20%.

Wasn’t there a South Park episode where they blamed methane for the extinction of dinosaurs? But seriously, all that deforesting and cattle can’t be good.

Michael Crichton has a really good soliloquy on this in “Jurassic Park”. The idea that humans could destroy is of course ridiculous; but we could alter it in such a way that we ourselves would no longer be able to live there.

I feel like no matter what happens, at least that we cause (I mean not including like an asteroid coming in and destroying us), we will be able to adapt to successfully. Even if that means leaving behind all the… excess fat or whatever you wanna call it, to put it nicely

The excess thin may also be a working metaphor. Like these guys whose isle is the first place to get all drowned up (forget the name, they sent representatives to some UN meetings and such).

Originally Posted by Ramza
I feel like no matter what happens, at least that we cause (I mean not including like an asteroid coming in and destroying us), we will be able to adapt to successfully. Even if that means leaving behind all the… excess fat or whatever you wanna call it, to put it nicely

Too bad our society is built to protect as much of that excess fat as possible just like those bee colonies that wraps around the queen bee to protect her from the cold (except in that case it really is necessary for survival instead of being in reverse).