Like, yo

I’d have to concur with Arac. I love Herzog’s films. And though Aguirre is my all-time favorite of his, there’s something about Heart of Glass which rubs me just the right way.

Invisible bear fight. :toast:

I used to really admire Herzog. I still do, to some extent – all of his films, even the weaker ones, have at least one absolutely amazing, original image. I’m not a big fan of Heart of Glass in particular, but the shot of the “cloud waterfall” is incredible. Of his more obscure films, my favourite is Cobra Verde. The plot makes no sense (the first half is more along the lines of what Kinski wanted, the second half shows only Herzog’s ideas), but the film is full of bizarre, otherworldly imagery.

My friend back in Syracuse recommended Herzog to me, but I never got around to watching any of his stuff. Any recommendations on something that’s good, and readily available? I don’t have a lot of money at the moment, and so I’m thinking something that I could either rent or get from the library (that’s where I finally saw Seven Samurai and Rashomon).

Herzog’s reputation is largely founded on five films he made starring Klaus Kinski (“Aguirre, The Wrath Of God,” “Nosferatu,” “Woyzeck,” “Fitzcarraldo,” and “Cobra Verde”) and two films he made starring a guy named Bruno S. (“The Enigma Of Kaspar Hauser” and “Stroszek”). Of those, “Aguirre, The Wrath Of God” is probably the best and most readily available. “Fitzcarraldo” is also famous, but I personally think that the film is less interesting than Les Blank’s “Burden Of Dreams,” a documentary about the making of the film. (“Burden Of Dreams” is amazing, though.)

Around 1990 or so, Herzog switched to documentaries. The most well-known of these is probably “Grizzly Man,” which came out a few years ago. It was well-promoted and may be more readily available than some of the older films. I strongly recommend that one as well, it is probably his best documentary.

Herzog’s filmography also has many interesting curiosities, but you’d probably be better off starting with one of the above.

Herzog has given a few interviews on Fresh Air…really interesting guy to listen to! Fascinating life history as well…have you heard them SK?

Man is terrified by chickens. Damn right he’s an interesting guy to listen to.

Nosferatu is my favourite of the films he made with Kinski, although I haven’t seen “Cobra Verde”.

The only thing they had by Herzog was Where the Green Ants Dream. They had Aguirre, but it was out. I hadn’t even heard about the first movie, so I just rented Ran, because I haven’t seen it yet and I’ve been getting into Akira Kurasawa within the past six months. I also re-rented Seven Samurai because it came with a booklet in this library, and it only came with the DVD in the Syracuse library (my dad also seems to think I’m some sort of traitor for preferring that to The Magnificent Seven, though I enjoy both).

“Awk! Awk! It comes! It comes!”

…Sorry, couldn’t resist. <_<

I haven’t heard those particular interviews, but I’ve heard other recordings of him talking, like his audio commentaries on the DVD issues of his films. He is a powerful speaker, he can make anything sound interesting. I wouldn’t take everything he says at face value, though.

Well, there’s a theatrical element to Herzog’s pronouncements. Eventually certain things started to bother me about his whole image – I think “My Best Fiend” is really a subtle bit of self-glorification masquerading as a film about Kinski. Kinski’s autobiography convincingly attacks Herzog’s image, although it is also incredibly narcissistic. Of course, that does not take away from Herzog’s immense accomplishments in visual composition.

“Nosferatu” is very atmospheric. “Cobra Verde” is a mess, the plot is incoherent. But it has the most gloriously crazed visuals of the five. I would say “Woyzeck” is probably the weakest, it’s the only one of the five that I don’t really ever feel like coming back to.

Yeah, I would not start with “Where The Green Ants Dream,” it is really more of an obscure curio. You should rent “Aguirre” when it’s available, though. “Ran” is also excellent, if you like “Seven Samurai” you will probably enjoy it.

I don’t know if it’s a good or a bad image, it’s an interesting one. Werner Herzog, whether he was that way or has made himself that way intentionally, which is both more likely and more interesting, is more character than person.

Welcome, Jess. Do you like any French films?

Someday I’ll find these $%@%#@ who use the English instead of the German title when they want to show off, and direct them in the movie Harakiri. We’d better get the ending right the first time.

Also, the Einstuerzenden Neubauten rock live.

El pollo diablo?

Wenders’ Der Himmel über Berlin, if you’d like; either way, it’s a beautiful movie.

Fritz Lang’s Harakiri?

…I feel so lost among all this movie knowledge…

Anyways, hello Jessica! I’m the resident…ummm, I don’t really do anything 'round here I guess…so I guess I’m just that guy over there in the corner.

On movies, I am personally a fan of Miyazaki(still need to go and get Grave of the Fireflies). :thinking: Nosferatu looks like a good flick, but I never got to see most of it. :bowser:

Yeah, absolutely. There’s even a hilarious parody of Herzog’s character, starring Herzog himself, called “Incident At Loch Ness.” The fact that Herzog is a “character” shouldn’t change one’s appreciation of Herzog’s films, but I think it’s important to understand that his image contains a lot of artifice, and to interpret his philosophical statements accordingly.

Actually, “Grave Of The Fireflies” was directed by Isao Takahata, not Miyazaki. Takahata closely collaborates with Miyazaki, and works at Miyazaki’s studio, so people often assume that Miyazaki is the director of “Grave Of The Fireflies.” Takahata also made another film called “Only Yesterday,” which has a similar melancholy tone and focus on realism, but is not about war. It has never been released in the US, though.

Never said Grave of the Fireflies was his, hearing Miyazaki or reading it just reminds me to go and get that movie.

Oh, I meant when non-English speakers use the English title. I was thinking of Kobayashi’s Harakiri.

Originally Posted by Sephiroth Katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leareth45
On movies, I am personally a fan of Miyazaki(still need to go and get Grave of the Fireflies).
Actually, “Grave Of The Fireflies” was directed by Isao Takahata, not Miyazaki. Takahata closely collaborates with Miyazaki, and works at Miyazaki’s studio, so people often assume that Miyazaki is the director of “Grave Of The Fireflies.” Takahata also made another film called “Only Yesterday,” which has a similar melancholy tone and focus on realism, but is not about war. It has never been released in the US, though.

Wait? Am I missing something, or are there two movies with the same title, because I’m pretty sure that I at least saw one movie called “Only Yesterday” a couple of years ago and on TCM to boot.

I haven’t seen that Harakiri, it looks worthwhile. My roommate is on a Samurai film kick. I can probably convince him to watch it with me.

I would imagine that there is something of a decent number of movies called “Only Yesterday.”

I’ve seen the Stuido Ghibli Only Yesterday in some stores around Ireland. If it wasn’t released in the US I don’t know what it’s doing here.

No, actually, that makes sense. I recall reading that they were unable to release “Only Yesterday” in the US because their American distributor thought it was too controversial. I’m not sure why, but there you have it.