Just Got Ogre Battle...

…off the internet…and I remember playing it years ago and cursing the stupid game.But today as I got back into it, I’m really liking it, except the whole concept of this game confuses the hell out of me.I’m a master when it comes to Final Fantasy but other games that I havent dug deep into, I am really bad at.Does anyone have any tips on how to get started on this game?I know the controls and all that, but I’m just wondering if there’s a certain way I should start out with, certain unit, and how this game ticks.Yes, I’ve attempted to read the stuff in the shrine on this site, but there is no “starting tips” for beginners and such…I even went to gamefaqs and nothing helps a beginner…can anyone list any helpful resources or at least tell me how to proceed at the beginning of the game?

Do NOT let any one party fight all the battles. And a group that I found to be fairly useful:

Two Ghosts/Skeleton/undeads, basically in front.
One Cleric/Shaman/Monk, Leader, in the back.
Gryphon/Roc, in the back.

The Undeads will take all the physical hits, not taking any damage at all (Unless you’re facing a stupid party with clerics in the front, stupidest tactic ever!), and any magic attacks will hit the living enemies, which the cleric or Monk will heal easily. The Gryphon would use Gale on everyone, or the Roc will use Petrify on enemies. It’s a great party!

MUCH thanks, I’m always open to more tips…I know it’s pretty sad to be asking for help, but this is the one game that always stumped me…anyways, will keep your info in mind ^)^

Another thing: Keep a good supply of items on hand at all times. Never let them drop below three of any item that you can but in mass quantities.

I don’t know anything about tips, but, you might want to check RPGC’s Ogre Battle shrine (if you haven’t already). You might find someting useful there. Ogre Battle shrine

Originally posted by Evangelion
…off the internet…and I remember playing it years ago and cursing the stupid game.But today as I got back into it, I’m really liking it, except the whole concept of this game confuses the hell out of me.I’m a master when it comes to Final Fantasy but other games that I havent dug deep into, I am really bad at.Does anyone have any tips on how to get started on this game?I know the controls and all that, but I’m just wondering if there’s a certain way I should start out with, certain unit, and how this game ticks.Yes, I’ve attempted to read the stuff in the shrine on this site, but there is no “starting tips” for beginners and such…I even went to gamefaqs and nothing helps a beginner…can anyone list any helpful resources or at least tell me how to proceed at the beginning of the game?

I’m assuming you mean the SNES ogre battle, but it’d help if you actually specified that.

Well I figured the tone of my post…“played it years ago” would mean something…and I didn’t even know there was another Ogre Battle.

Originally posted by Evangelion
Well I figured the tone of my post…“played it years ago” would mean something…and I didn’t even know there was another Ogre Battle.

Oh, there’s an Ogrebattle for nearly every system after SNES! Except Sega systems, I believe.

Are you serious…geez I need to start paying more attention…no wonder I heard of it a lot. is mortified

Eh, s’allright. Black Queen’s the only one I ever played, or wanted to play.

Tactics Ogre is an excellent part of the series. If you like FFT-type strategy games, check it out.

Val’s suggestion is nice, but I wouldn’t recommend that group really. If it runs into any thing that can use holy magic, it’s going to be toast in a round. Some units I’d recommend going for are Slyphs and Devils. (Missile is just plain amazing, and Meteor is exceedingly nice to have around.)

Also, high level dragons are exceptionally powerful, so try throwing one or two into a group and get them to be more powerful to make things much easier.

The trick in these games is to know which unit you use and when. In Black queen (The only one I played) I used to let Gilbert’s unit (With his two Wyrms) fight a whole lot of battles until he became powerful, fast and evil. I just used him to clear the path of enemies until a few attack waves where over. Then I just sent some of my good units to get some experience, liberate the towns and fight the boss.

That served pretty well until I got the hella powerful good units like the Legendary knights (Which I put in the same unit along with the Tiamat) and generals. After that I made a party of 2 Liches, 1 Princess, one Paladin and one Monk and let it do most of the job.

Ok, I have a question.I’ve been addicted to this game all day, and I’m in Chapter 3, and I’m about to liberate Gilbert’s castle…but there’s a good character I can get first, but the problem is, I need to visit a temple to see his sister, and my reputation needs to be fairly high.How do i raise my rep level?I fought all the enemies, so all I have left is the boss…all towns and hidden cities are liberated as well…if I miss out on this guy, I miss out on recruiting Gilbert as well…what brings Rep up?Am I out of options, and should I just start the whole level again?

Liberating cities and getting cards brings your reputation up. High aligned units should liberate cities with high to mid morale, and low aligned units should liberate cities with low morale. I think you can still get Canopus- if you have a halfway decent reputation (you can’t get it very high this early anyways so don’t worry- if it isn’t really low, you’re ok). Remember, have Canopus’s unit fight Gilbert.

I have a weird thing with Canopus. The first time I played OB, I had a half-decent reputation and it was enough but now I have half of the RepBar full and his damn sister won’t give me the amulet.

Yeah that’s what just happened to me…so I had to start the level over…

ETA-Damned game did it to me again…oh well, proceed without em.

Don’t EVER let the enemy retake one of your cities/temples. That destroys your reputation. You should also start to have a few liberation units in mind. These are your creatures with the highest alignment. Clerics, angels, and your army leader generally have high alignment.

Yeah I understand how that whole system works now.On my third try, my reputation STILL wasnt high enough (and it was pretty high for this point in the game) Stupid sister wont give me the item I need to recruit Canopus.So hopefully I’ll be able to come back and recruit him when my rep is up high enough

ETA: Note to self:always talk to people and go to towns TWICE.

Yeah, I was gonna post about how always needed to visit that town once to see canpus, then twice to talk to Yulia.