It's a New Semester

There are no grades beyond grade 12… a “college” establishment is like university but they focus on co-op, hands-on experience, and practical applications of your knowledge. It is still a place for higher learning, but it usually doesn’t delve into theory and new science with the vigour that universities do.

Oh, so it’s a technical school.

Yep, pretty much. That’s why our high schools are big on the U/C differentiation.

Did you know they are removing calculus from high school in Ontario?!?! What the hell is wrong with our education ministry!?! I couldn’t imagine coming to this university, not knowing a bit of calculus. Universities teach most things faster than high school and with something you haven’t even hinted on doing like calculus, that’s insane.

The universities have to change their calculus programs, which would suck if you were going into something like physics or engineering. You can’t learn most of the physics I’m in (cough cough Electromagnetics) until you learn the math behind it so they would have to push courses normally taken in 2nd year to 3rd year and add an extra year of school!

In short:

Best you can be in college = plumber.
Best you can be in university = endless opportunity.

I didn’t know they were removing calculus. I’m changing high schools for next semester (begins Monday) just so I can take calculus and physics. Next semester at my current school, they don’t have any physics or calculus.

Generally, in the US, colleges offer associate’s degree and bachelor’s degree programs. While universities offer master’s degree and doctorate programs.

There many many exceptions to this, however, and the words college and university are used interchangably in conversation.

Modern History of Japan (I wanted Modern India, but so did the majority of other History majors sooooooo…)

An Anthropological view of Canadian Society

Archaeological Prehistory: Vikings

All of my classes fucking rock. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am still surprised you can even -take- a class on weight training in university, and count it as anything more than a spare in highschool. Christ. I go swimming 4-5 times a week and I don’t call it “The Academic Introduction to the art of Bipedal Liquid Stroking.”

:kissy:

I understand the concept jackass. Furthermore, being a plumber isn’t so bad. Where would we be without plumbers?

Still on Stage 1-1.

Yeah. A general hint in America is that universities are higher education establishments which off undergraduate, graduate, and sometimes doctorate programs. Also, universities are typically much larger institutions and have various smaller colleges which specialize in different fields. Here at UGA, for example, we are obviously a university; however, we have some smaller schools and colleges, such as the School of Public and International Affairs or the Franklin College of Arts and Sciences.

A college typically does not offer graduate work(although there are probably some BlahBlah Colleges which offer graduate courses too; College of Charleston is like that, I believe). They are also generally much smaller, usually more focused on liberal arts. You’ll be hard pressed to find a well respected science program at a College.

We also have some other divisions such as Institute. Institute is a name generally reserved for those schools which specialize in engineering, physics, and the like. Schools such as Massachusetts Institue of Technology or Georgia Institue of Technology. They’re almost always universities, but they tend to specialize in the physics field and the fields around it. They sometimes offer liberal arts degrees at these schools, but that’s frankly a waste of money.

Then there are Academies. Academies are military run higher education schools. When you graduate from a national academy, you become a commissioned officer. I dunno about private or state run academies. The United States Military Academy at West Point is probably the most well known military academy in the US, although the Naval Academy at Annapolis is no slouch.

We have other little terms such as Union and School. I dunno what Union means. School, when used in absence of a parent university or college (or the word vocational), is typically a performing arts college. The Julliard School would be the most well known example. Both School and Union aren’t used that frequently actually.

You’re a jackass.

Edit: Not you 984.

You’d be surprised how much Plumbers make. I know a Plumber and he just bougt himself a rather drool worthy muscle car, not sure of the year or model as I’ve only seen it once, but it had to be worth a mint with the condition it’s in. So think before you run your mouth.

In a few weeks I start Game Design courses, against my better judgement, and as far as I’m aware the entire first semester is mostly art and the like.

has almost never taken a single university course that didn’t have “MATH” or “COSC” as the subject

I’m happily self-educated when it comes to worldly matters. I don’t need some disenfranchised African raging on about George W. Bush or a rabid feminist teaching me how horrible women have it (both which happened in electives to my sister).

I never said plumbers <b>didn’t</b> make a lot.

Environmental Science
Computer Info Software
Digital Photography
History of Rock n Roll

I have one semester to go until I get my Advanced Studies Certificate in Medical/Health Informatics. Here are my classes:

LIS 506: Introduction to Information Technology

This is the basic computer class for those in the library studies program. I mainly chose it because I needed another elective and it fit nicely in my schedule. I could sleep though most of the basic stuff, but it’ll be useful in that it will finally force me to learn HTML. Perhaps this could lead to shrining…

MHI 512/502: Health Informatics Jounal Club 2/Introduction to Health Informatics 2

These are my main classes in the medical/health informatics curriculum. This semester will be focusing on specific computer applications used as electronic health records (EHRs) in our area. Last week, we took a field trip to the cancer hospital where I have been treated to learn about their new EHR system. They’ll be launching it in May, and I’m eager to learn how it will effect my visits there.

PHI 640: Graduate Research Ethics

This class is a complete waste of time. I’m so close to going the the billing office and asking for a refund, plus a credit for time wasted. The only reason I’m taking it is because I have to. Initially, one of the health/medical informatics professors was suppoed to teach an ethics class specifically for our major. However, that professor took up additional responsibilities at the cancer hospital and was unable to do so. In order to achieve our ethics requirment, we got dumped in this class. Let me give you an example of how demented the idea of this class is, and this is the teacher talking:

“This class isn’t just to fulfill your ethics requirement. We will learn why people chose to do things wrong, even though they know they are. Why do you suppose this is so? The golden rule…”

“The golden rule”? Give me a frickin’ break. This is the only class I’ve ever had the urge to falll asleep in. Thank God it’s only a pass/fail class and all you really have to do is show up.

I’m taking ten credit hours in addition to working two jobs at 40 hours a week for the first time, so it’ll be pretty interesting.

Your obvious lack of respect for the plumbing profession pretty much proves that you know very little of the trade as a whole. So shut your gob if you don’t want a lecture.

Anywho, did some checking and as it turns out I, luckily, get to skip the stupid art shit and go straight into learning how the industry works and production and storyboarding as well as audio work.

8th grade. You know the classes. They suck. I wish I were in your schools.No further comments.

PHI 640: Graduate Research Ethics

This class is a complete waste of time.

That made me laugh. Every ethics class I’ve taken has been a joke. I believe they are mainly for foreign people who’s cultures as to what is acceptable and what is not are different. There are a lot of foreign graduate students at my university and they do some odd things that they don’t consider rude or wrong, but in our western culture they are.

On the college vs. university differences. The way I understand it

2-year associate degrees - Community College
4-year batchelor’s degree (or higher) - College or University

Typically at the 4-year or higher schools, they call the whole thing the University, then each department is called a college. Like at mine they have “The College of Engineering” and “The College of Humanities and Social Sciences” and “The Veterinary College”. All together they make the university. If a school only really does one thing, like a pure liberal arts school then college and university are even more synonymous than normal if that makes sense. To make it even more confusing a lot of fine arts schools just forgo both university and college like “Rhode Island School of Design” or “North Carolina School of Arts”. That may be for a reason other than art schools just wanting to be different but I don’t know.