It's a New Semester

Second term of Uni, at the moment…

Calculus II
Analysis I
Matrices, Linear Algebra and Geometry
Introduction to Differential Equations and Fourier Series

None of them are that bad at the moment, but then it has only been about a week.

CSC 232 Intro to Computer Science 2. Java 2 with emphasis on software engineering principles and data structures.

PHY 220 Introduction to Structure and Logic of Digital Computers

MTH 215 Discrete Math

PED 100 Gen ed phys ed crap.

FINA 1210: Intro to Ceramics II
FINA 1230: Intro to Painting II
FINA 1260: Intro to Sculpture II
FREN 1215: Beginner’s French II
ENGL 1129: Modern Novel, Poetry & Drama

All of my classes are pretty much continuations of what I took last semester.

English 371: 1600-1830 Literature - Scientific and Religious Upheaval
-A study of Francis Bacon, John Donne, George Herbert, John Milton, and others between the Renaissance and the Romantic era.

English 482: The Stages of Arthur Miller
-A complete study of the playwright Arthur Miller, who wrote for instance Death of a Salesman and The Crucible.

English 497: Imitation and Inspiration - The Short Story
-Every week we read a few stories by a certain author, and write a two-page imitation of that author. E.g. Poe, Gogol, Joyce.

Geosci 125: Evolution and Extinction
-A history of the sciences of biology and geology, followed by a study of what the course name says.

Theater 429: Playwright Production
-Seven playwrights join the course and have their plays produced for them. It’s a relatively hands-on class, and it should be enlightening.

Gogol is plusgood.

A class on Arthur Miller? That’s pretty cool.

We start our new semester next week, but my classes are pretty much the same

English
Pre-Cal
U.S. History <3
Physio
Psych 2
French 3

I forgot to comment on this. OH MAN! That sounds like a fucking awesome class. I wish I could take a class on dinosuars!! Maybe if I was becoming a paleontologist…

eh…

0 period Honors World History B
1 period Spanish 2 B
2 period English 2 B
3 period Algebra 2 B
4 Chemisty B
5 Basketball

History of Mass Communication
Language Study
Ancient Western Literature
Study of Human Consciousness
Other pointless filler classes

Myself, the dirty french canadian of Quebec, I have(Mind, the courses’ names are in french, so I have to translate.)

Interal Functioning: Computer science, from what I’ve seen, it wont be TOO bad. It’s about the internal functioning of computers, of course.

Programmation II: Boring. The teacher is apparently learning the language(C#) at the same time than we do, and he’s…well, he’s the only teacher in the computer science departement without a computer at home. Draw your own conclusions.

Philosophy II: Last session it was basic rhetorics and history. This time it’s comprehension about humans and psychologie from what I understand. I have the same teacher than last semester, so I know it’s going to be bloody awesome.

Applicated Mathematics: Another computer science class, learnin’ some essential maths about computers. Matrixes and stuff. Boring, a recap, and the teacher’s classes are all Power Points presentations.

Writing and Litterature: French class. Basic. Text analysis. I can predict it boring already.

Physical Education: Conditioning: Nautilus, weight lifting, that kind of stuff. Can’t say much besides that,.

American History 202 - I failed 201 last semester because it was a ridiculous amount of workload for one online class. The only people who’ve been known to pass the teachers class with a good passing grade are the ones who only have so much on their plate each semester. I didn’t have time for 201, so I had to drop. So far, I like this class and teacher. He’s also full of trivia. Did you know that Burger King is owned by Philsbury?

Arranging and Orchestration - This class isn’t required for any sort of degree, as composition is just now getting started at my school with no degrees or certificates of any sort to go along with it. But so far, it’s very interesting and teaches what I need to know for a General knowledge in part writting and such. Also, I learned how to use Finale a shitloads easier.

Jazz I Ensemble - Our top jazz band.

Primary Applied Bari Sax Lesson - I learn all my classical repretiore that I need in order to complete my recital coming up.

Secondary Applied Bari Sax Lesson - I learn all my jazz stuff I want to know. Also, the teacher and I just talk about random shit and just life in general. It’s more like a personal psycharitrist (sic) than a sax lesson at times. I enjoy it.

Music Theory 302 - Six and final semester of Music Theory. We’re just now touching on modern day techniques and influential composers and their methods. It’s the first late theory class that’s been proved usefull.

Intermediate Algebra - I can take 10th grade math as a Math Elective. Hooray for taking the easy way out. To make it easier, we only have to turn in five assignments, and show up for two exams. Shit class.

Wind Ensemble - Our Universitys band thing… beh.

Well classes haven’t started as of yet, but so far I’m registered to take
Calc 3~Sure to be easier than calc 2 since this year I’ll actually have a book
Japanese second semester-I fear the 8:00 wake up call
Some Philosophy and statistics class-I forgot what’s it’s called again ^^;
I still need to get my fourth, hopefully I can do that during add/drop period.

Semester 1:
Period 1: CLU3E/M1 (Grade 11 Understanding Canadian Law)
Period 2: MCR3U (Grade 11 University preparation Functions and Relations)
Period 3: SCH4U (Grade 11 University preparation chemistry)
Period 4: Free Period (Spare)

Semester 2:
Period 1: PWL3E (Grade 12 weight lifting)
Period 2: MCA4U (Grade 12 University preparation calculus)
Period 3: SBI3U (Grade 11 University preparation biology)
Period 4: SPH4U (Grade 11 University preparation physics)

In Canada, they got a different kind of education system, where students who excel in their subjects can apply to become an “academic student”. Basically, there are 4 levels of education in Ontario (at least).

Pretty much the most advanced is academic level, then it’s applied level, then it’s basic level, and then it’s essential level.

Academic students get more work, and are marked for things that other’s would normally not be marked for; such as spelling errors (if concerning english). Applied is the level you begin at. I don’t know much about basic/essential, but it’s kind of remedial-ish. Teacher expects little of you, and you get easier shit to do.

Academic courses are all courses with a “U” as the last letter of the course-code. You need academic courses to get into university, but applied courses to go to college. A prerequisite of all universities in Toronto is an academic in english at least.

I’ll be taking summer school; since I wasn’t located as an academic english student, so I have to take a 2 week transfer course, since I can’t take Grade 11 University preparation english without being academic and it’s a prerequisite course to get into ANY university avaliable to me in Toronto.

So basically you’re in College prep.

Philosophy 1105 - A Survey of Philosophical Thought. Intro Philosophy.

US History Since 1865 - This is the second time I’ve taken this class and god damnit it’s not any easier this time eiither. It’s really starting to get discouraging, the amount of reading that goes into this class is fucking ridiculous. Entire chapters over night… fuck that.

Tae Kwon Do - haha yea, its my physical credit.

Elementary Spanish - Simple Espanol.

English 1102 - This class would be eaiser if I, say, had the correct book. But it’s not that hard.

What do you mean? I’m preparing for university. Courses that end in “C” are college preparation, and any other letter, except “O” (which is an open), don’t have academic/applied/whatever to it; just same-level students. The transfer course is to get my applied english changed to academic english, so I’ll go to university come 2007.

Edit; the only college level subject I have is english, which I am an applied student; but I’ll be academic next year, which means all my courses, except for those whom don’t have any grade-level to it, I will be academic in.

By the way, when do your next semesters begin? o.O My next semester is starting February 6th.

In Amerikka, “college” is sometimes a broader term referring to both colleges and universities.

And you’re right, there are 4 different kinds (for gr. 11/12 at least).

Courses that end in “G” are “gifted” and you need to be in the gifted program (usually) to take them.
Courses that end in “U” are “university preparation” and are what most people interested in continuing their education usually take.
Courses that end in “C” are “college preparation” and are for people intending to go to a college or discontinuing their education.
Courses that end in “O” are “open courses” which are usually reserved for stuff like phys ed. courses, which don’t have much academia in them.

He must think We’re all living in Amerikka.

Here is my awesome schedule of awesome!

Phys253 Electrostatics and Magnetism II - This one is crappy… which shouldn’t be in an awesome schedule of awesome, but it is. It’s pretty much Calculus 2 : Electric Boogaloo… Integrate this!

Phys256 Classical Mechanics and Special Relativity - I hate Einstein so much… And Newton. They make my life so hard. But the rest is good. Also, I have the best prof on campus that I am aware of.

Phys275 Astrophysics III - Oooo. Spacey. I’m learning about Stephen Hawkings’ radiation… IN BED! Wah ha ha ha ha! That’s so funny. Black holes are funny.

Math228 Solving Differential Equations - A class with a verb in the title. As though we wouldn’t know what to do with the equations. And finally…

C&O250 Combinatorics - I don’t even know what this class is. Alls I know is there are generating functions that need solving and graphs that need… doing… Lots of graphs.

Don’t patronize me, I was trying to simplify what you said for those that may have been confused.

You are in what is essentially refferred to in the states as College Prepatory. In the states, college refers to any higher learning facility beyond high school. As far as I know, in Canada, college refers to the grades beyond 12th, but not a “higher learning facility”, known as a university. In America, a University and a College are interchangeable and relativly the same thing.

So, while you are in “University Preperation” classes, you are in what is complimentary to a college prep course in the united states.

By the way, my semester started on January 9.