Iron Man

“Not only did he escape… that metallic arse raped my sister!!!”

it was very good, last quarter kind of lost some momentum but very good movie overall. Marvel owes Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch big checks since it’s their interpretation of the character used in the movie.

I wish they’d call it the Ultimates instead of the Avengers :confused: Cooler name.

it was very good, last quarter kind of lost some momentum but very good movie overall. Marvel owes Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch big checks since its their interpretation of the character used in the movie.

ARRGH! KOFF!! Excuse me, Merl, all Millar & Co. did was reinvent the great stuff that was already there. The Origin, Stane, and even the modern take on Tony are all pre-90s stuff. About the only contribution of theirs here would be Nick Fury as a Black man, which is a blatant piece of Political Correctness. Far as I’m concerned, the only thing we owe Millar is a kick in the arse.

(OK, I’m still bitter about “Civil War”. Let’s move on.)

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

OK, I concede, that might be the next blockbuster. But will a sequel that comes 19 years after the last one… especially one set in the 50’s, rather than during the 30’s or the second World War- capture the audience today? Here’s a interesting look precisely on that subject:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080505/ap_en_mo/film_indiana_jones

Agree 100%.

Probably my favorite superhero movie - I’m going to go see it again tomorrow. And this time I’ll stay to see what happens after the credits - thanks for not spoiling!

First off, Ultimate Nick Fury kicks ass. If you want a bastardization, look at Garth Ennis’s Nick Fury: a senile, maniacal, controlling drunk of an old man that hasn’t realized the Cold War freaking ended.

Second, why are you pissed about Civil War still? We all moved on from that years ago. How about you get pissed about World War Hulk? Or every X-Men story since M-Day (the worst idea EVER). Hell, what about all those post-Infinite Crisis series by DC? Compared to them, Civil War looks like a fucking masterpiece.

Sorry about that little explosion there. Frankly, the only comic I read now is the new Punisher War Journal, where the rampant bloodshed and violence of today’s comics actually makes sense.

And…oh yeah, Iron Man is a fucking awesome movie, probably the best superhero movie since Spider-Man 2. (Although I still say Spidey 2 is a better movie overall.)

edit: Ignore the Greek letters that were here. It was a plot of Nazis from the future to confuse Indy.

If they make Harrison Ford do as much as run, it’ll be worth it.

I actually thought the whole MIddle East thing worked very well. He’s a weapons dealer so being in a current combat zone makes sense, it just brings the movie to the real world. Having the attack take place anywhere else wouldn’t really have made any sense, plus the middle east bad guys weren’t completely bad, they were more used by an American. It was a pretty cool movie though and I liked the humor throughout it. I also liked how in the final battle it gave him a handicap and showed how good of an inventer he was and to make the final battle a challenge, but still show the power of the suit.

It’s Indiana freakin’ Jones. Of course it’s gonna capture the audience for at least one week.

Besides, Prince Caspian may very well unseat it too.

I’d say for comic book movies…

Batman Begins
Superman (1977)
Spider-Man 2
Iron Man
X-Men 2
Batman (1989)

of course, The Dark Knight is looking to blow all of this out of the water (I hope!)

I would SHOOT myself in the brain before I read a Garth Ennis book. I’m not saying they can’t be fun- to those who like his style. Which definitely excludes me.

Second, why are you pissed about Civil War still? We all moved on from that years ago.
Because the ramifications are still being felt? Iron Man is still a bastard (wait till the movie fans start buying the comics and find out :P) being a hero is still illegal unless you’re a government bitch, etc. About the only thing that was fixed was the public knowledge of Spider-Man’s identity- and it took a deal with the Devil to do it! :thud:

How about you get pissed about World War Hulk? Or every X-Men story since M-Day (the worst idea EVER). Hell, what about all those post-Infinite Crisis series by DC? Compared to them, Civil War looks like a fucking masterpiece.
Who says I’m not pissed over all that? Didn’t I say specifically that I haven’t bought a DC comic since Infinite Crisis ended? Hey, at least Marvel still has a few fun titles- Nova, for example. I’m just saying, the REALLY cool Iron Man storylines were all in the 80’s. Millar hasn’t done anything to compare. Even the whole Stane thing was from David Michelinie’s run. Which was so influential, DC comics even modeled their “evil businessman” version of Lex Luthor on him.

Batman movies never did it for me. They always try to be so serious… but then I look at the screen… and it’s still batman. It’s just never going to work.

Woo Prince Caspian! Although if they want to keep the same actors for all the movies, they’re going to have to be rather quick about filming them, but that’s another story.

So I liked Iron Man, but I’m curious as to how accurately they followed the comic books. I read the wikipedia article on Iron Man, but there was just a bit too much information, so if any of you [STRIKE]comic book geeks[/STRIKE] guys could paraphrase for a guy who’s only experience with comic books is Batman/Super the Animated Series, and the novelized version of the Death and Life of Superman, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Tony Stark. Industrial genius with great business sense (if Reed Richards is the greatest pure scientist in Marvel, Tony is probably the greatest business scientist). Inherits father’s business after they die (car wreck or something mundane like that). Develops weapons for the military. While overseas, bomb explodes, captured, forced to create weapons for the enemies. Has shrapnel slowly moving into his heart that will kill him. He and the other scientist, instead of creating weapons, create this kind of artificial heart plate to keep Tony alive (magnetic I think to keep the shrapnel from inching closer). It gets turned into a big clunky suit (the original comics are playing up all this stuff like Transistor Beams and all of his shit being Transistor powered). His captive buddy is killed, Stark escapes, and the shrapnel is eventually removed. Back in America, he paints the suit gold and eventually makes a newer, better armor, all while running his business. While Batman acts like a playboy billionaire, Stark actually is one. Some time down the line Stark becomes an alcoholic and loses his ability to walk (alcoholic because of being crippled?). The suit lets him continue to walk, and he later gets a chip planted in his legs that uncripples him. He’s now a recovering alcoholic and off the wawa sauce. He was one of the founding members of the Avengers and is almost always on the team in whatever incarnation it’s in. Has a buddy named James Rhodes who became Iron Man for a bit then later got his own armor and changed his name to War Machine.

Then there’s a lot of modern stuff I don’t fully know or remember. At one point, there was a traitor in the Avengers. It was revealed to be Tony (was that eventually Skrullified, Wilf?). A teenage Tony is then brought from the past and becomes Iron Man. After Onslaught and Heroes Reborn, Tony is adult again. Ultron, the preeminent evil robot of the Marvel universe, later removes Tony’s heart and replaces it with an aritificial one that requires to be charged. I think he eventually got a real one back or the dropped the whole “has to be charged” story. During Civil War, he becomes the main hero in favor of Registration. He leads the government Avengers against the non-government Avengers. And now, he’s still a dick.

That’s most of what I can remember.

984: Most of that is correct, yes. Though the heart thing took years to fix. Then he became an alcoholic, and Stane took the chance and stole his company and his technology. Of course in the end Tony got it back, including, yes, an armor-duel in with Stane.

As for the "Teen Tony stuff, as far as I know, no, that stuff has not been relegated to “it was a Skrull impostor” yet, though it’s too early to tell. In any case, what happened was this: he was brainwashed by a villain (Immortus) and the Avengers figured the ONLY person who could beat such a genius was- himself, so they brought his younger self from the past to do it. In the process Adult Tony got killed, so teen Tony stayed in the present and gained his company and the role of Iron Man. (??? OK, first, how is a teenage version of yourself going to be smarter than your adult self? Why not call on, say, Reed Richards of the Fantastic Four? And isn’t pulling someone from the past, and then letting him STAY in the present, a huge alteration of history?? Worst. Plot. Ever!) In any case, Teen Tony was soon killed and then recreated as an adult during the “Heroes Reborn” incident. Of course this means the original Stark is still dead and replaced by a duplicate from an alternate reality, but everybody is acting like it never happened. Maybe it’s for the best.

As for Civil War, having Stark side with the government and lead the pro-registration heroes made perfect sense: he was convinced it was going to be necessary sooner or later, because common people were growing more paranoid about heroes everyday. That’s not the problem; it’s the things he did to “win” that cross the line: cloning Thor to use as living weapon (he was believed dead at the time), using nanites (microscopic robots) to control people, imprisoning heroes without trial permanently, attacking Spider-Man after he decided to leave the Pro side (Spidey never said he was going to join the rebels, just quitting Tony’s side) etc. Last time I checked he was still going for the “ends justifies the means” which is why I won’t buy his comics anymore. This is specially jarring when the movie reminds everybody of the more idealistic Tony he used to be (well, idealistic after getting a face full of reality.) Everybody is dearly hoping that Iron Dick is actually one of the Skrull impostors, but I doubt it- it’s too cheap a way out. A better explanation, in my opinion, is that all that nanotechnology he’s got implanted (he can now control machines with his mind) is messing with his brain. Then again, Marvel “fixed” Spider-Man’s problem by having him make a deal with Mephisto (The Devil) so who knows??

…wow. Well, I guess I asked for it, but geez…

I would say that Russkis/commies were Hollywood’s favorite bad guys for more than one decade, and the Bond franchise could be blamed (or praised) to a certain extent for the popularity of the CCCP baddies.
In the 80’s Sylvester Stallone added some sour cream to borscht. Sly totally powned Ivan Drago, a Soviet poster boy in Rocky IV, then with a few Taliban friends he liberated Afghanistan and contributed to the destruction of the evil Soviet Empire.
But even after USSR’s meltdown, an occasional Russian mobster or an oligarch popped on the screen to face some amerikanski defender of Freedom.

What a superb strategic move by Marvel to produce their own films – Sony and Fox made $5 billion worldwide thanks to Marvel’s misfits.
I am looking at all the films already in Marvel’s pipeline, and the company’s stock makes me salivate. :wink:

Bottom line, the movie rocked.

And when has Sin ever been wrong? Yup, pretty close to never.

Aslo, the new Indiana Jones movie looks underwhelming. I’m not a fan of the series, but I gotta say, the trailer I saw did nothing to make me want to change that.

The irony.

The Indiana Jones trailer was underwhelming, but the movie could still be good. Witty humor alone might make it a decent movie.