I have reached a new high with my physical training!:)

Well, about two weeks ago my friend Evan and I started running, as he’s joining the marines and i’m joining the army; we both need to get into better shape. So, we start running a little ways until we can’t run any farther. My mom told us that it was approximitely a half-mile. So we continue to run it and tonight I ran it twice, thusly thinking that i’d run a full mile! I was full of elation at my newest victory over my weak legs and bad overall health.

However, something was amiss. It took too long for one mile at the speed I was going; i’d gone rather quickly for the first half. So I had my mom drive me in the car with a reset odometer to find out how far it is.

Apparently, we’ve been running a mile everyday, and I ran two. It hurt, but I did it! This coming from a guy who simply sat around playing video games from years. I feel rather good about myself at the moment:)

I used to just sit around playing computer games a lot during my teens and when I decided to get fit I did 17 miles in my first week. Now try and beat me.

Holy shit. I have trouble with doing one mile under 9 minutes, let alone TWO miles at all…

Originally posted by Atherelius
[b]Well, about two weeks ago my friend Evan and I started running, as he’s joining the marines and i’m joining the army; we both need to get into better shape. So, we start running a little ways until we can’t run any farther. My mom told us that it was approximitely a half-mile. So we continue to run it and tonight I ran it twice, thusly thinking that i’d run a full mile! I was full of elation at my newest victory over my weak legs and bad overall health.

However, something was amiss. It took too long for one mile at the speed I was going; i’d gone rather quickly for the first half. So I had my mom drive me in the car with a reset odometer to find out how far it is.

Apparently, we’ve been running a mile everyday, and I ran two. It hurt, but I did it! This coming from a guy who simply sat around playing video games from years. I feel rather good about myself at the moment:) [/b]

Don’t worry, when it comes down to crunch time you’ll pass with flying colors. Heck, before I joined I’d be out of breath at 100 yards, but then Iwhen the 1.5 mile run for the first time came, I was able to pass it…barely, but I passed. Heck, my mom is still amazed to this day that I made it all the way through without getting dropped once. Don’t worry, you sound more than ready to me. They’ll build you up for it. Heck, before I was activated I had a hard time running still, but now I run 4-6 miles pretty easily and at a nice pace. Congrats.

I used to just sit around playing computer games a lot during my teens and when I decided to get fit I did 17 miles in my first week. Now try and beat me.

You probably walked a lot of it and you also weren’t worried about time. Arth has to worrying about being able to do the distance within a certain time frame, not just being able to run it. Running 17 miles in your first week or exercise? Right…:thud:

I do about an 8 minute pace for distance running and 6-7 minutes when it is only a mile or 2. I can do a 7 minute pace on long distances, but it hurts. Although right now I can barely run 4 mies because my knee is all jacked up, heck even rolling around in my sleep hurts my knee that’s how fucked up it is. I just can’t say anything about it or I’ll miss my next school semester (they can’t release you from active duty with injuries).

Dude, sucks about your knee; how’s you hurt it?

And thanks for that speech, it gives me a bit of confidence. I’m really finding that I ENJOY running now, oddly enough:)

Nick: I ran a little by morning, a little by afternoon, then a lot by evening. That’s how I got it. I didn’t know you guys were doing it with time limits :get it?:

As for your knee… Dude, aren’t you worried that it might get worse without medical attention? Going to school is a must do, but hiding an injury could be risky.

hey do u guys in america HAVE to go into the army?

Originally posted by Atherelius
[b]Dude, sucks about your knee; how’s you hurt it?

And thanks for that speech, it gives me a bit of confidence. I’m really finding that I ENJOY running now, oddly enough:) [/b]

No problem, it is just cool to see another guy on the boards joining the military. I know how nerve wrecking it can be before you go, so I’m just trying to ease that. I can’t wait until you get back so that you can tell me about Army boot camp since I’m quite interested. As for my knee, my knee is weak anyway and it is in my record. so if it continues to give me problems I’ll be compensated when I get out (Veteran Affairs). Also, part of the reason I’m not saying anything is because my DIs taught me to just tough out any injury. Besides, it just needs some rest. We’ve done so much running the last couple of
weeks that it hasn’t had any rest. Once I get to school I know for a fact that I won’t be running too much so it’ll heal then. Besides, part of me still wants too go toIraq and I don’t want this hold me back incase the option arises (I know it won’t, but I have hope). Oh, before I forget. In you can run 2 miles now, even if it hurts, you’re good to go. Afterall, that is all you have to run for score in the PFT. If you can even run know that is excellent. That means that instead of just trying to do it, you’re trying to improve your time.

hey do u guys in america HAVE to go into the army?

It isn’t required to join the military in America, some people just want to. There are quite a few perks to being in though. We don’t even have a draft in America (even though it could come back at anytime). The most required is that all 18 year-old males register for the draft.

Nick: I ran a little by morning, a little by afternoon, then a lot by evening. That’s how I got it. I didn’t know you guys were doing it with time limits

As for your knee… Dude, aren’t you worried that it might get worse without medical attention? Going to school is a must do, but hiding an injury could be risky.

Alright, I see then. As I said, I’m not worried about my knee since I know it’ll get better in time. Besides, what are they going to do? Give me some tylenol, a knee brace, and put me on light duty for a week? I can do that on my own.

Light duty - reduced required work, such as not having to PT (ie. run).

Does this mean that sitting around and playing games is healthy? Now this is a scoop.

I can’t run. I’m good at walking fast and do long distances, though. And I’m good at martial arts.

Originally posted by Nulani
[b]Does this mean that sitting around and playing games is healthy? Now this is a scoop.

I can’t run. I’m good at walking fast and do long distances, though. And I’m good at martial arts. [/b]

Not quite, besides, humps (hiking with the back) take it out of you no matter how far you can walk. The paces are also pretty brisk.

I run a mile and a half everyday during soccer season.

Try going to the lakes (mountains) for two weeks in summer. Getting to the nearest newsagent requires climbing over at least one mountain.

I also sit around playing video games as well, but I/the family have an exercise bike. :stuck_out_tongue:

I usually run Cross Country for my school. The races are usually 3 miles.

Sitting around playing video game’s isn’t healthy:P I think the only reason I can handle it is because when I was working, I had to walk about 2 miles one way to get to work, and then walk around all day helping people and whatnot, it being a hardware store. Then i’d walk another 2 miles. Oh, and it STILL hurts, and I did that last night a little before I made the post:P My right calf hurts seriously badly, but I figure I should be able to do about a mile and a half-two miles tonight.

And yes, definitely quite nervous about joining, being infantry and all. I’ve noticed that most people enjoy their time in the military, so that helps me kill my nervousness. Thanks again!

Videogames improve your hands coordination, perception, reflexes and raciocination skills. They are definitively healthy.

Heh. I started lifting this summer. And we had speed and conditioning for a month, we’d run a couple miles everyday of the week. Then for two weeks (Just finished) I had captains practice, which is basically the seniors coaching a practice where we just run. They were really cool about it too, they did everything we did. ; p And now I’m gonna start twoadays now this week. I have to get up at 6 in the morning now. >< Practice is from 7 to like, 9 or 9:30. Then I have band camp until the next practice starts, which is at 4, until 6 or so. Plus me staying up until 2 or 3 playing video games. ^^ I hate sleeping anyways. :fungah:

Originally posted by Ren
Videogames improve your hands coordination, perception, reflexes and raciocination skills. They are definitively healthy.

That doesn’t deal with health though. Those are more of skills and mental capabilities. Health deals with things like stamina and strength.

Neurons grow stronger when you develop those skills and mental capabilities. I don’t think anyone’s ever made some research on it, specially due to games having been around just so recently, but I believe gamers are less prone to have alzheimer and parkinson when they get old.

Cooler neurons won’t help you build muscle or stamina.

Originally posted by Ren
Neurons grow stronger when you develop those skills and mental capabilities.

Yeah, but those neurons don’t help you with your physical fitness. You may reduce those things, but it doesn’t make you healthier too much. Being healthy does things like make you live longer, kepp heart problems lower, keep stamina up, keep you thinner, etc.