I have reached a new high with my physical training!:)

So you mean someone with built-up muscles and Parkinson is healthier than the regular person?

Body health is not only about fitness. And there is also mental health =p

It’s not like I said video games are evil or something, I come HERE, think about it:P

It’s funny, I can hike 5 miles at a good pace and not get winded, but the second I try to run, I can barely go 100 yards.

Originally posted by Ren
[b]So you mean someone with built-up muscles and Parkinson is healthier than the regular person?

Body health is not only about fitness. And there is also mental health =p [/b]

I’m saying that if you just play games all day and get winded everytime you go up there stairs you’re not very healthy. Sure you may have good hand-eye cordination, but what’s it matter if you get a full days work-out getting up to go to the fridge to get another soda? I enevr said that the stuff video games help isn’t good, it just doesn’t make you healthier. Decreasing the chance of and having are two very different things. Sort of like condomas decrease the chance of STDs and pregnancy, someone can use them all the time and get both and another person can’t and never get either. The chance is lessened, but doesn’t that really make things good? Besides, the way many have sort of said it, it makes gaming sound like an exercise that if you do it 30 minutes a day you’ll stay in shape which isn’t true. Here’s the reverse of what you said. Is someone without Parkison’s and no muscle, 300lbs, and gets winded going up the stairs healthier than the average person? No, but is it really a fair argument? No. What I’ve saying is that games may have a nice help in your later life, but being healthy is mroe than just an old person thing. Besides, I’m not saying games are bad, the things they do are bad, I’m just saying they don’t make you a healthy person. Besides, if I wanted to, I could bring in the social aspect and say how they afect people socially and say that that isn’t healthy, but that’s a whole other argument. Besides, there are different kinds of health. Physical and mental, games help the mental, but we are talking about the PHYSICAL. Unless you are trying to get into the thumb olympics, games aren’t going to increase your physical prowess.

I am the exception to that rule. Right now, i’ve sat around most all of summer playing games and computer, and I could probably get up and run a 7 minute mile right now. Of course, if I worked at it and trained, I could get down to a 5:30 mile or so. At the beginning of school last year, when we ran a timed mile, I hadn’t done anything before that and ran it in 6:40, beating everyone in my class. I have never lifted weights before in my life, and I can beat everyone my age that i know and alot of adults in arm wrestling, yet i play so many video games, it’s insane. Probably what i’m getting at here is that physical health does not just come from running and excersizing and training. Some people like me and a few other people I know are just naturally fit. Unfortunately, not everyone is like me and they have to excersize if they want to keep in shape.

BTW I go hiking occasionaly as a hobby, and I’ve hiked around Mt Rainier (The tallest mountain in Washington State) a couple times. Hiking is definately different than running. I know a 45 or so year old man who can out hike me, and yet I could out run him anyday. Hiking uses mainly your Quadriceps (that’s the other side of your thigh) and jogging/running uses your calves more. It’s just how peole are built physically.

It’s such an ego booster to see all these people talking about their idea of a hard workout. Of course, having run XC for four years I’m a bit deranged. I worked out with my high school team all summer even though I’ve graduated. And we do some pretty vicious workouts. 13 mile run last Monday, a 7 mile run Wed. morning and another 5 miles that night. These aren’t flat runs either. The 13-mile had a hill that was at least a quarter mile long.
Of course, at the beginning of 4 years ago I was really horrible and my first 5k (3.1 miles) race I ran about 28 minutes, whereas now I can do it in about 18 minutes. The moral of the story is: if you don’t care about losing your sanity, you will become better and find training to be fun.

I’m a lot like Frame… I love walking/hiking, but running’s not my thing. Although I think I’m a pretty decent runner, if I’m not going for any speed record. In other words: I have a slow pace, but I can keep it up for quite a distance.