I hate to say this but...

…Bush did a good thing, this time. Even if all he did was sign it. :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.sbcbaptistpress.org/bpnews.asp?ID=16630

I don’t get why this required new legislation.

As much as I agree that prison rape is an issue, this sounds expensive. Not only are you going to have to pay these 9 board members salaries, but you’re probably also gonna have to create rape units or something in prisons. With the exorbatant amount of prisons in America alone, and that they are all state run, I see prisons degrading even further from the state they are currently in, because now money has to be allotted to these criminal psychologists and investigaters inside prisons. At a time where other issues, to me at least, hold presidence over this particular one. There are a number of other things I would much rather Bush be giving out money for.

Crime rates will rise since less people will be afraid of being arrested.

Originally posted by Ren
Crime rates will rise since less people will be afraid of being arrested.

Not necessarily. That would be true if prison rape was an important factor in keeping people from commiting crimes, which it probably isn’t.

He was joking, I see your robot processors uncapable of understanding such human feelings

Originally posted by Cloth Hat
He was joking, I see your robot processors uncapable of understanding such human feelings

I don’t think that he WAS joking.

Being in a prison in US would involve only doing some light, non intellectual work like laundry or cooking for other inmates or not doing any work at all. I’m excluding those in which they work their hands to the bone building roads & such since they are a minority. Then you’d spend your whole day in a cell. Big deal. You don’t have to worry about paying taxes, driving to work, getting/mantaining a job, studying etc. Everything that could be a stress wouldn’t exist there if they worked like they’re supposed to. And there are the good parts - you have an academy where you can exercise, you can spend the whole day chatting with your friends…

With such conditions, who wouldn’t like to be arrested? Simply everybody without the guts or $$$ to lead a regular mid-class life would commit crimes just to be in there.

Think of OZ without the rapes, fights and disputes among the prisoners. The only difference between it and a spa would be that you may go out of the spa when you want to. The things that people fear and that keeps a lot from comitting crimes is the violence (from all kinds, not only sexual) they know they will suffer in prison.

Edit: I don’t think that rapes in prison are a good thing. I agree that it should be stopped. Let me elaborate further: my thought is that there should be a way to make inmates’ lives a hell that wouldn’t go against their dignity.

The thing is that so many of the prison guards turn the cheek at everything that goes on, I can only see this being effective for a short time before the officials get so overwhelmed and tired of whats going on that they start cutting corners, and then all it becomes is the prison system’s little brother that stays in his room all day.

People aren’t afraid of being raped in prison, when you commit a crime you’re more worried about not being able to see your friends and your family for a long time, the possibility of being raped comes farther down the line.

Bush did a good thing, haha I can’t beleive I could say that either haha.

Eh I still hate 'em…

But when you’re in prison you gotta make someone your bitch before you’re someone elses. :moogle:

About time.

The next step should be to make prisons rehabilitation centres instead of cages.

applaudes for the primate sitting in the oval office at this very moment

Originally posted by Nulani
[b]About time.

The next step should be to make prisons rehabilitation centres instead of cages. [/b]

What? Making the Department of Corrections exactly that – a center of correction and rehabilitation rather than punishment?

You wacky Europeans with your wishy-washy liberal ideas. We’re TOUGH ON CRIME here. wink wink nudge nudge

We are the great and powerful Oz*. Pay no attention to all the handgun violence behind the curtain.

[Ugh, the whole “look at me! I’m tough on crime!” act by our elected officials. Nevermind doing the right thing, can’t afford to look “soft” on crime. Must punish, not reform, 8th ammendment be damned.]

[* = unintentional pun/play on words, for those of you who are fans of a certain HBO TV series based on a fictional New York prison. :P]

Imagine telling your peers that you work on a rape committee.

Originally posted by Ren
I don’t think that rapes in prison are a good thing. I agree that it should be stopped. Let me elaborate further: my thought is that there should be a way to make inmates’ lives a hell that wouldn’t go against their dignity.

Which boils down to one thing: whether you think prisons are meant to <b>punish</b> or <b>rehabilitate</b>.

Originally posted by Cless Alvein
Which boils down to one thing: whether you think prisons are meant to <b>punish</b> or <b>rehabilitate</b>.

I want to find a way to punish without going against their dignity. I don’t mean to rehab anyone.

re·ha·bil·i·tate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rh-bl-tt)
tr.v. re·ha·bil·i·tat·ed, re·ha·bil·i·tat·ing, re·ha·bil·i·tates

To restore to good health or useful life, as through therapy and education.
To restore to good condition, operation, or capacity.
To reinstate the good name of.
To restore the former rank, privileges, or rights of.

Well, I certainly would choose the latter.

I wouldn’t. If it all depended on me, people comitting crimes would be tortured in a daily basis. They would all be treated like those Afheganis in Guantanamo. For those who don’t know, the prisoners from Afheganistan who are in Cuba are tied to a chair and an actor dressed like Barney the dinosaur sings “I wuv you, you wuv me” to them, among other things.

Originally posted by Ren
If it all depended on me, people comitting crimes would be tortured in a daily basis.

I’m sure that’s why it doesn’t depend on you >.>

I’m sure my uncle, you know, the one who was convicted for kidnapping his own kids to save them, would love you, Ren. So would the Founding Fathers.