I finally get to vent...

My brother went to Boy Scout camp yesterday. Naturally, I stayed here, with you fine people. Then we got a call from dad today, explaining what’s happening. So far, it sickens me.

The local troop is run by a family called the Thomures. I don’t mean to sound hateful here, but they’re the biggest assholes I’ve ever met. They dictate everything that goes on, without consulting a single other person in the committee. Their kids make the other scouts do their bidding. It’s a big mess.

Well, the troop was suppossed to go to Catalina Island this year, but the Thomures didn’t want to pay that much, despite the fact that it was well within their budget. So they went to another place I can’t remember the name of. So far, it’s been one disaster for my brother after another.

First off, Colin Thomure, the SPL (Senior Patrol Leader), decided that he didn’t want to take responsibility during the camp, so he gave it to my brother, who was the oldest scout there. Then when my brother asked him to do something simple (such as help with the bulletin board or prepare the schedule), he becomes an asshole and decides to tell everyone not to listen to my brother. Then nobody wants to bunk with him because Colin told them not to.

All the merit badge classes my brother signed up for have either had last-second requirement changes or been cancelled. He wanted to do Hiking in leui of Swimming, since he can’t dive worth a damn, but the only way to do that now is to get a partner and do a 10-mile hike. And guess what? NOBODY WANTS TO DO A 10-MILE HIKE!!! Why, back in my day, all scouts did 10-mile hikes every day without whining. That’s how things were and we liked it!

Also, Mr. Thomure, the Scoutmaster, isn’t doing his job. He’s basically letting the kids run wild, while refusing to help my brother maintain some level of control. My dad tries to help, but can’t take control because he isn’t the Scoutmaster. God damn, I’m glad I turned 18 when I did.

So basically, my brother’s camp got shot to hell, assholes have taken over scouting, and the Scoutmaster can’t do his job. Anyone see why I’m mad about this?

Fubar. Isn’t there any way you can video tape this happening and send it to some Scout head office? Hell, making claims your bro was molested will be enough to cause bad publicity on its own to have them kicked out.

How is a scout master picked? Is it just whomever wants to and shows up the most or is it an election or some guy chosen by the scout high council? It sounds about time for a coup.

Originally posted by Sinistral
Fubar. Isn’t there any way you can video tape this happening and send it to some Scout head office? Hell, making claims your bro was molested will be enough to cause bad publicity on its own to have them kicked out.

The mosleting thing would be too harsh. Just do the videotape thing.

Originally posted by Cloth Hat
How is a scout master picked? Is it just whomever wants to and shows up the most or is it an election or some guy chosen by the scout high council? It sounds about time for a coup.

The local scout committee elects the Scoutmaster. However, the Thomures rule that place, so it was no contest.

What’s wrong with being harsh? It works. Look at the Church.

Originally posted by d Galloway
The local scout committee elects the Scoutmaster. However, the Thomures rule that place, so it was no contest.

Rule the place, could you elaborate? Is their family in control of the committee, or they’re close friends with all the members?

Cause if it was found out that he wasn’t ACTUALLY molested, his brother’s moral high ground would be nonexistant, and the problems would just continue on worse than ever, since the Thomures would hold a grudge against his brother for putting them through so much crap.

Videotaping it might help, though, or getting a bunch of the scouts and their parents to petition to the scout head office to have him removed from duty (cause this guy can’t be too popular).

-Mazrim Taim

Yeah… That’s one of the reason I quit as soon as my mom divorsed her second husband (he was making me and my brother stay in the boy scouts).

It doesn’t matter if its true or not. All that matters for the scouts is the preservation of public image. The media feeds off stories like that and once people get sick of it, they never hear of it again. The damage would be done.

Originally posted by Sinistral
It doesn’t matter if its true or not. All that matters for the scouts is the preservation of public image. The media feeds off stories like that and once people get sick of it, they never hear of it again. The damage would be done.

Yeah. And then, for the rest of his life, the poor boy would have to hear people whispering when he’s around “hey, isn’t that guy the one who was bf** by his scoutmaster when he was a little kid?”

I’m not one to care what idiot gossipers think. If it does happen, it means the ploy worked.

But the point is, there are other ways of getting rid of this guy that wouldn’t be so potentially harmful to the his brother’s credibility and/or enjoyment of life in general (credibility more than anything else though, if people found out he was just lying about it to get his idiot scoutmaster sacked).

-Mazrim Taim

That would depend entierly how you play your cards, what kinds of arrangements you make with lawyers and boy scouts of america

Also, since he’s a minor (from the sound of it), his name would never be made public.

Don’t give weak persons power, they are corrupted by it.

The truth alone, as it stands, should be enough to give them a bad public image: There’s no need to make up something extra. Though, I wouldn’t be suprised if he had used his position to molest someone.

Urgh, I’m sorry to hear that, Gallo. I hope that you’ll come up with a solution.

Yea, and then when they find out that he wasn’t molested, the Boy Scouts of America could possibly sue him for slander or something.

I know what I’d do. I’d just punch that Thomure kid right in the face, and then DEMAND that he, and his dad, help out, and do what they are meant to be doing! It might get the best results, but I’d just do it, if things really are the way you are describing. Also if your brother can get a group of people behind, him who feal the same way he does, it might make it easier to fight agaisnt them.

Originally posted by Heaven’s Soldier
I know what I’d do. I’d just punch that Thomure kid right in the face, and then DEMAND that he, and his dad, help out, and do what they are meant to be doing! It might get the best results, but I’d just do it, if things really are the way you are describing. Also if your brother can get a group of people behind, him who feal the same way he does, it might make it easier to fight agaisnt them.

Heaven, that would just cause more trouble and just make them be even more evil toward Galloway’s brother.

That is why I said:

Originally posted by Heaven’s Soldier
It might get the best results, but I’d just do it, if things really are the way you are describing.

See! Anyway, it would be something I WOULD do, not something he SHOULD do! Got it?