I don't know how to cook

I figure it’s time I learn how, and I know you guys can’t teach me. But, I assume many of you live on your own or in dorms and know a little bit about cooking for yourselves and whatnot. Does anyone have any quick meal fixes that they’d like to share? I hardly know anything about cooking for myself since uh my mommy does it for me :frowning: But I know how to make KD! And erm, toast…

So I’m trying to eat healthier at this point of my life. I have whole wheat spaghetti and brown rice as my pasta staples…and I’ve recently started buying fish to eat because I’m trying to ease up on my carnivorous habits. So I am usually stocked with smoked salmon, haddock fillets, and my newest addition- tilapia, yuuum.

I have lots of other healthy stuff that don’t need to be added here, but but but I figure I should get started with my questions:

How the hell do you cook rice?
What is a new seafood choice I can start eating? (No hard shelled stuff plz)
What are some different ways I can try making pasta?
What other pasta choices are out there?
How do you fry fish?
What are some other healthier food choices I could try out?
Do you have any easy meal ideas that doesn’t require a lot of time and effort?
Offer some sort of alternative to cooking something that I could try.

I have a basic idea of how to make some things, but I just don’t know how to do it…creatively. Any help or direction to links would be greatly appreciated. (god I say those words a lot)

Let me try and answer some of your questions:

You can try eating octopus,It can go with a lot of things,also seaweed as part of a salad,and also squid.

What are some different ways I can try making pasta?

I really don’t know many ways to cook pasta but you can always start by eliminating the many sauces that they add to them.

You can always try eating tofu,and soy foods too,I find it very delicious.

Fruits are the most basic meals your going to find,salads too.

Other things I can add is that you can always hold back on seasonings like salt,and the like,don’t eat excesive amounts(no matter how healthy it is)

Thats about it that can come out of my head,if I remember any recipes I will share them with you.

You boil rice. The procedure is slightly different for instant and non-instant, but it’s still just boiling.

If I were you, I’d ask your mom. She cooks for you. She probably knows things. Ask her how to fry. It’s the most important cooking skill you’ll ever need.

I don’t see how going from chicken and cows to fish makes you less carnivorous. At best it changes your smell (I don’t mean breath, these things really change your skin).

I know ten ways. My favorite is the one where you pick that special rice pan (I don’t know the name in English), put water in the lower part, rice on the upper one, send to fire, wait some half-an-hour.

The japanese grow algae to eat. We are starting to try that here too. Maybe up there in Canadia you guys can try it.

How do you fry fish?

You should pass some butter or oil on the frying pan, then you put the fish on it. Don’t forget to turn the fish after some while so that you don’t overburn one side while leaving the other side raw.

Fruits, vegetables. And eating healthy food alone isn’t enough, go practice (or keep practicing if you already do) some exercises.

Fry bread over butter and garlic paste. It takes one minute or less to get ready.

Offer some sort of alternative to cooking something that I could try.

Try making calzones. They’re fun to do. Basically you do a pizza, but before taking it to the oven, you close it (lower side out). Now, really close it, don’t just fold it.

Make sandwiches with the chees on the outside instead of the inside. This one takes a strong belly to eat, though, for it makes your bowels really work (I’m speaking from experience).

Also, try making french fries using water instead of oil.

You can also add pizza ingredients to your soup (except the cheese). Oregan makes anything taste great. So do tomatoes and olives. Also, olive oil is said to increase HDL (high-density lipoprotein, the “good” cholesterol) levels in your blood.

I am nowhere near a skillful chef, I live mostly on Stouffer’s TV dinners when nobody’s around to cook. However, I do make really good minestrone soup and I plan on trying to make my own spaghetti sauce. Anyway, as for your questions:

1. I think most rice comes in a bag in which you boil it. Look at a box of Uncle Ben’s in a strore and it shoud help you out. I haven’t done it myself.

2. I personally love shrimp, but my family never make it at home. Another great option would be grilled salmon.

3. Again, with shrimp or chicken. Cook it in the sauce and it tastes great. Melt some provolone or mozzella chese over the top. My favorite dish has always been chicken or shrimp parmasan and it’s pretty easy to make a “cheater’s” version. Cover them in bread crumbs and bake 'em.

4. I don’t fry fish. I go to restaurant and make them fry it for me :).

5. I’m not really a healthy eater, but I do try to have at least one vegetable or fruit at every meal. Orange juice in the morning, vegetable juice at lunch, and a vegetable and salad at dinner. If you like sandwiches, use whole wheat bread a light mayo or other spreads. In general, if you can bear it, use “low fat” versions of everything you can find. “No fat” varieties are disgusting in my opinion.

6. As for easy ideas that include veggies, try my simple minestrone soup. I buy a package of prepared “ministrone soup vegetables”, add chicken broth and diced tomatoes, and voila, instant minestrone soup, and some spices to your liking and enjoy.

If you could give me some ideas on what you like I can try to help you more. I hope you find my suggestions helpul.

Hmm… Lemme take a whack at this giving advice stuff.

A. You buy a rice maker. Put a certain amount of rice into it (after you buy it! Trust me, I know), then rinse it for any crap it might have (bugs, etc.), then put some clean water in it up to the line on the side that says how many cups of rice you put in, then press the button.

B. Is shrimp hard-shelled? Eh, anyway, you can always go with my favorite fish: blue runner!

C. Aside from eating it hard, you could… uh… oh… I got nothing.

D. Other than spaghetti, you could try lasagna, you could try rigattoni, you could try angel hair pasta, you could try… lots of stuff. Alfredo is good too. I’m just listing random stuff here, so don’t blame me.

E. Okay, first you heat up the stove so that when you touch it, it hurts like hell. Then, you want to put a pan over it, and put some oil into it. As for your fish, remove the guts and scales, then sometimes I put a little bit of onions into the stomach cavity, then you put it on the stove. Flip it over when it needs to be flipped and there you go. Of course, that’s if you want it whole, with or without the head. If you want it filleted, then learn how to fillet (I can’t teach like this!), then fillet it and put some flour or other breading on it, then fry it. Voila.

F. Excersize. That’s the best advice I can give you. If you’re too lazy, just go to one of those crazy online meal planning things.

G. Sure, tons. I don’t want to elaborate though, so I won’t. Just ask me some other time, maybe.

H. Have you tried baking?

1. I cook rice in a rice cooker. Try the housewares in Sears or shopping at a Chinese housewares store. For each cup of rice you put in one cup of water.

2)Don’t know any new ones. The ones you eat are the ones I eat.

1. All I can say is experiment with making your own sauces. Both tomato and cheese sauces. I boil my pasta and add whatever concoction I’ve made before.

2. Other than spaghetti there’s lots: Fusilli, lasagna, rotini, penne, linguine, fettucine, macaroni, etc.

3. Two ways: Bread them and fry them with some oil/butter and garlic; or leave them unbreaded and do the same. I also broil them or steam them. I often use soy sauce and green onions when I do this.

4. Tofu is good as a side dish. Chicken’s really versatile. You could add practically anything to it.

I try to portion out my snacks by using small bowls and sticking to only one bowl (of chips, let’s say). I make sure I eat it with fruit or a glass of milk.

1. I just tried this one and it is delicious. =) It took me about 30 min.

BAKED HALIBUT WITH HERBS

2 (16 oz.) pkgs. frozen halibut, partly thawed
4 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. finely chopped onions
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram, crushed
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 tbsp. minced parsley
2 tbsp. lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut halibut into 6 serving size blocks.
Place in a single layer in a shallow baking dish.

Cream butter with onions, salt, marjoram, pepper and parsley, stir in lemon juice.
Spread over halibut; cover. Bake 35 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a
fork. Serve from baking dish. Garnish with parsley sprigs or lemon wedges.

1. Stir frying is usually easy. Just chop stuff up in small pieces, marinate if you want and push it around a pan until it’s cooked. Remember to add water so you won’t burn the outside and leave it raw on the inside.

You will make a terrible wife.

XD

Easy healthy meal that you can’t fuck up:

Tuna sammich.

Tuna, cheese, pickles ect whatever you want.

In preparing a can of tuna:

-Drain the tuna, push all the water out with the lid.
-Cream cheese tastes better, but if you are worried about gaining weight, mayo works just as good.
-Spices: I love garlic. You may not. However, you can never go wrong with garlic, maybe some pepper.

Over all: experiment! Good cooking is like good sex, you don’t know it unless you try it! ((careful not to over spice))

:kissy:

You can try eating octopus,It can go with a lot of things,also seaweed as part of a salad,and also squid

SEAWEED? How…exotic. I don’t like salad, or most vegetables for that matter. Major yuck. I ate squid like squid rings once but Im sure those arent very healthy.

I really don’t know many ways to cook pasta but you can always start by eliminating the many sauces that they add to them.

But that’s the thing, brown rice sucks when you cook it plain. It tastes…bland, if it isn’t supposed to. I need some sort of seasoning to throw in there to make it tasty.

You can always try eating tofu,and soy foods too,I find it very delicious.

What is tofu? And soy food, hmm. I remember eating soy weiners last summer and didn’t really like them. Maybe it’s because I was so used to the other kind. Maybe I’ll give them another try. And soy chocolate milk, well it sucked, but I’m kinda wanting to give the strawberry soy milk a try. good choice?

Fruits are the most basic meals your going to find,salads too.

Well, I don’t eat salads, and the only vegetables I like are: potatoes, celery, brocoli and carrots. I eat bananas, apples and grapes and…I think that’s it :\ I have no idea what’s good out there. I get so tired of eating the same things.

Other things I can add is that you can always hold back on seasonings like salt,and the like,don’t eat excesive amounts(no matter how healthy it is)

Yeah I’ve done that for awhile.

You boil rice. The procedure is slightly different for instant and non-instant, but it’s still just boiling.

That didn’t work!!

I know ten ways. My favorite is the one where you pick that special rice pan (I don’t know the name in English), put water in the lower part, rice on the upper one, send to fire, wait some half-an-hour.

If cooking rice involves fire, shoot me now.

The japanese grow algae to eat. We are starting to try that here too. Maybe up there in Canadia you guys can try it.

I don’t think so. I need some substance.

You should pass some butter or oil on the frying pan, then you put the fish on it. Don’t forget to turn the fish after some while so that you don’t overburn one side while leaving the other side raw.

ohh okay…what should I set the stove on? And what seasonings should I add in? How long should I fry it?

Fruits, vegetables. And eating healthy food alone isn’t enough, go practice (or keep practicing if you already do) some exercises

I’m not trying to lose weight, I’m just trying to eat healthier foods so that I don’t get attack of the pancreatis again.

Try making calzones. They’re fun to do. Basically you do a pizza, but before taking it to the oven, you close it (lower side out). Now, really close it, don’t just fold it

I’m not going near the oven.

So do tomatoes and olives

BARF

1. I think most rice comes in a bag in which you boil it. Look at a box of Uncle Ben’s in a strore and it shoud help you out. I haven’t done it myself.

Uncle Ben is my saviour, but the loose pasta and stuff I bought in bulk because it was…cheaper. I cooked it like I cooked the package stuff but it turned out shitty…especially when I didn’t know what to put in it

1. I personally love shrimp, but my family never make it at home. Another great option would be grilled salmon

That sounds really, really good…would I be able to use the george foreman type grill to do it?

Again, with shrimp or chicken. Cook it in the sauce and it tastes great. Melt some provolone or mozzella chese over the top.

Would it be alright to fry it? Same with the fish…I need to know how to grill some chicken breasts and whatnot…

My favorite dish has always been chicken or shrimp parmasan and it’s pretty easy to make a “cheater’s” version. Cover them in bread crumbs and bake 'em

EEE frying up chicken covered in crumbs or corn flakes and parmasan…I could so do that!!

Orange juice in the morning, vegetable juice at lunch, and a vegetable and salad at dinner

oh oh oh that reminds me, do those meal substitute drinks really work? Like are they effective? Should I buy them?

If you could give me some ideas on what you like I can try to help you more. I hope you find my suggestions helpul.

Definately, sir :smiley:

A. You buy a rice maker

I can do that. How much do they cost? Are they big and bulky?

Is shrimp hard-shelled? Eh, anyway, you can always go with my favorite fish: blue runner!

Shrimp kinda looks icky. What is blue runner?

D. Other than spaghetti, you could try lasagna, you could try rigattoni, you could try angel hair pasta, you could try… lots of stuff. Alfredo is good too. I’m just listing random stuff here, so don’t blame me

I just wouldn’t know how to make them taste good. My only talent is making cheesey pasta (especially cheese spaghetti) but that gets boring after awhile. I don’t know what other pasta sauces I could make or use…

H. Have you tried baking?

No but I’d love to learn how…it’s an art, to me. I hope to take courses someday.

1. Two ways: Bread them and fry them with some oil/butter and garlic; or leave them unbreaded and do the same. I also broil them or steam them.

That sounds sooo good…

1. Stir frying is usually easy. Just chop stuff up in small pieces, marinate if you want and push it around a pan until it’s cooked. Remember to add water so you won’t burn the outside and leave it raw on the inside.

But I dont like vegetables…what else can be stir fried?

edit: Eden, the man will do the cooking in my future household, that’s all I have to say to that XD

I’ve left tuna behind in my younger years…

If you have access to a crockpot, give this recipie a shot. Me and my dad tried it and it came out great. Easy, too.

1 pkg chocolate cake mix

1 pint sour cream

1 pkg instant chocolate pudding

1 small bag chocolate chips (approx. 6 oz)

3/4 cup oil

4 eggs

1 cup water

Spray crockpot with non-stick spray. Mix all ingredients until smooth, pour into crockpot. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Serve with ice cream.

Then give up your life as a cook. Unless you intend to live in Japan and dwell on raw food.

No! Ovens and I don’t mix. I will use the stove but I fear the oven.

GG- What is that? It looks GOOOOD

You people and your damn complicated shit >:(

You buy a goddamn <b>rice cooker</b> and you put rice and water in it! Make sure the rice is between 1/3 and 1/2 as high as the water or otherwise you’ll get really dry uncooked rice.

You can stir-fry meat with rice, and there are like infinite possibilities with this. You can try putting some frozen chicken soup flavouring into the pan first, or you can lightly scramble and cook an egg before putting the rice in, you can also exotic things like shrimp bits if you wanted. If you’re dealing with uncooked meat, make sure to cook the meat before putting the rice in. The rice has to be <i>cooked</i> rice (as in, cooked in a rice cooker) first though. You can’t stir-fry raw rice.

And seaweed tastes good.

Hey hey hey that’s a good idea! Since so many of you have mentioned it I think I will shop around for a rice cooker…I forgot about adding meat in with the rice, I looove that.

Rice cooker! That’s the name! Thanks, Cless!

Also, lonely and/or single and/or gay teenagers are giving you advice on how to cook, so you’d better appreciate this! >:O

I do Clessy Wessy, I do. I embrace loneliness, single statuses and homosexuality.

Eva is a lonely, single, homosexual who can’t cook. =x

If you like pasta you can make an easy meat sause by buying a pasta sause can thing, lean ground beef, and pasta duh. :stuck_out_tongue:

Defrost, fry with some oil, add pasta sause, cook noodls. Fin.

:kissy:

Sinistralian Shepherd’s Pie:

Pre-heat oven at 400 degrees

1 pound of lean ground beef (around 250ml)
3 cans of cream corn ( around 15 ounces each)
5 big boiled potatoes
salt, pepper, onion salt or powder, Worcestershire sauce ( you will have to taste it to know if it’s enough)

Boil the potatoes
Brown the beef in a skillet
Add the cream corn to the browned beef and mix together
Mash the potatoes with milk, 3 tablespoon of butter, salt, pepper and onion salt/powder until creamy.
Put the beef and cream corn mixture in small aluminum containers or in one big corning ware, top it with the mashed potatoes, put few small pieces of butter on top of potatoes and sprinkle with some crush crackers.

Put in the pre-heat oven for about 20 minutes.

Sinistralian French Crepes:

Materials:

Dry ingredients:

1 cup of flour
¼ tea spoon of salt
1 soup spoon of sugar

Wet ingredients:

1 ½ cup of milk
1 soup spoon of melted butter

Other ingredients:

2 large or 3 small eggs
1 tea spoon of vanilla essence

Methods:

Preparation:

1. Mix dry and wet ingredients separately.
  2. Add eggs to blender
  3. Add 1/3 dry mix and 1/3 wet mix to the eggs. Blend.
  4. Repeat
  5. Repeat.
  6. Add vanilla essence, mix very briefly.
  7. Allow to sit for 30-60 minutes

Cooking:

1. Grease pan or plaque.
  2. Warm pan or plaque at medium to low intensity
  3. Pour 1 scoop of the blended mix into 2 halves on the plaque
    or
    half a scoop at a time if in a frying pan.
  4. Spread the mix using a plastic spatula into circles.
  5. Flip the half cooked pancake over when it has acquired the consistency that allows you to flip the half cooked pancake.
  6. Cook 2nd side as the first.
  7. Remove from the plaque or pan.

Serve:

1. Roll pancake in plate, pour maple syrup and sprinkle powdered sugar.

You know, the word ‘Sinistralian’ kinda gives me the creeps, but I might try the crepe one.