I am now the proud owner

How would you make an emulation program for a system that has two screens? wouldn’t you need two windows? And isn’t there a touch screen thing for it?

The fact that it uses two screens wouldn’t be a problem at all, and for the touch screen surely they’ll emulate it using the mouse. MAME emulates games that makes use of multiple screens for instance, and there is a game on its list (not fully emulated yet) that uses a touch screen, I don’t rememeber its name tho.

Anyway, I’m against the emulation of recent systems and games, I believe emulation is for preservation and emulation, so you are able to play games that are now dead or very hard to get. Plus, I’ve always thought that emulating a portable system on a laptop makes the game to loose its original feeling, and the DS with the touchscreen will be “affected” even more by this and the touchscreen.

As far as I know, the DS still only uses one processor, so it’s very possible to emulate it on most systems. It’ll most likely just be a simple matter of two windows, one which is controlled by the mouse and the other by regular controls, as Shogetsu said.

I basically do the roms thing since 0 places around here rent games, and I’m in Europe so I only get half of the games that are released. The good ones I actually buy after trying them out. Just nothing beats the feeling of playing a game like it was meant to be played, and it helps the developers.

Nah, i’m pretty sure it uses 2, and i’m 100% sure it has a GPU for each screen.

And on the whole “recent systems emulation” thing, i’m all for NextGen Emulation, but not for the roms. I agree that its stupid to want an emulator for a PS2 when you could just go get one, but i think its great to be able to develope for PS2 and Xbox and such. I can’t wait for the DS emu, i would love to code something that takes advantage of the touch screen.

The DS has one and only one processor. It couldn’t have two processors for the different screens because they are displaying THE SAME GAME!! It would be unwise to have two processor’s going, because one might hang up while the other goes on ahead.

And the way I see it, they should have it with two windows, the bottom one being mouse controlled. ALSO, each ROM would have it’s own seperate file with “Tap Zone Hotkeys” where pressing a certain key triggers a tap at X area.

P.S. On Boxing Day, no defective DS’ at any stores in my town. I was chatting with my friends at EB, Zellers, and Sears.

The only ‘defect’ if you can call it one is that on one batch, the barcode for the serial keys are printed invertedly or something, and they don’t scan through, so the cashier has to manually key it in. Nothing besides that!

Why do you insist on acting like a bitch even when you’re wrong?

The DS clearly has 2 processors. An ARM7 for GBA and an ARM9, along with 2 of the GBA chipsets (66/33/16.8mhz respectivly). Since it has an ARM7 for the GBA, that means it has to have a GPU for the GBA. So now we are at 3 processors, 1 of which is a GPU. And you’re rendering 3D graphics for 2 FUCKING SCREENS, showing 2 DIFFERENT IMAGES, how the fuck can you not have individual GPUs for each screen? Thank you for proving your ignorance on this subject.

So stop acting like i don’t know what the fuck i’m talking about.

And in regards to your comments on how a DS emulator would work, i think we should be worrying about how anyone will even begin to build one, seeing as <i>the roms are fucking encrypted</i>. Have fun making library calls with that. And seeing as how shitty most emulators of 3D systems are, its not going to be easy to build a DS one, either.

After a bit of digging, yeah, it does use multiple processors. Guess I’m collecting roms for a system that won’t see an emulator <_<

pardon my ignorance, but how does mulitple processors outright destroy the chances of an emulator?

I don’t know if it does. But here’s my logic:

DS: 2 processors.

Your computer: 1 processor.

There are two processors in the system, but only one of them is used by the DS. The other is for the GBA component. THINK! Why would you have two processors of different speeds controlling the same game. I can understand the possibility of doing it if the processors were the same, but one is a 67 mHz and the other is a 33 mHz. Simply enough, if you were to split the processing between the two, one would go half-speed. It’s only logical to assume that one is for the GBA side. I’ll believe that both are used by the DS if and only if you get one, open it up, and show me the circuitry.

And multiple processors would just complicate the emulator. The total power of the processors in the DS are 100 mHz. That’s 1/20th of what the average computer is today.

The DS has one and only one processor. It couldn’t have two processors for the different screens because they are displaying THE SAME GAME!! It would be unwise to have two processor’s going, because one might hang up while the other goes on ahead.

Even if you can’t make an emulator, you can still burn the ROM onto a disc/flash drive, and still play it. I think.

With a modded DS, yes. No Mod chips out for it yet that actually work well.

Work well, or work at all? Still, if it doesn’t work well, and still works, people could still use the ROMs… TD, make a DS mod, and there’ll be no more complaining. :stuck_out_tongue:

The only ones I’ve seen require 30+ sodders, and have a good chance of overheating the system when in use.

That has nothing to do with how feasible it is to make an emulator. And nobody is yet sure about exactly how the DS uses both processors, though after finding the clock speeds it does make sense that only one is used for DS games, so the quotes that had nothing to do with your reply are conjecture at best.

Why not ask Ben Heck for help? :stuck_out_tongue:

Didn’t they make a ROM for the MAME, and it used two-screens, with a touch screen? Forgot the name, might’ve been mentioned already.

Just because it has 2 procs doesn’t mean we won’t get an emulator.

The saturn uses twin SH2s and we have an emu for it. The Xbox is a “80” (MMXSSE) bit proccessor, and you can still run xbox emulators on a 32 bit processor. Heck, the PS2 can do 128 bit calculations, and the emulator can run on a 32.

Xelo, seriously, stop fucking talking. You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. This is so fucking wrong i don’t even know where to begin.

Uh, no. First of all, there are NO modchips out. Nor are there flash carts, nor linkers, nor homebrew. We can’t even wireless multiboot to DS yet,much less hack it or write code for it. Beside, what the hell would be the point of burning a DS game to a flashcart anyway? The system can multiboot…>_>

Think about it you guys, did you need a fucking modchip to play flash cart GBA games? No. So why would you need it for the DS? And hey, xelo, link me to this modchip, because uh, <i>none exsist for a DS yet</i>. Thats just a little tiny detail you must have overlooked when giving your fantastically vague details about the modchip. Every modchip requires soders and can overheat. >_<;;

And corn is right. There have been dual screen projects done, and touchscreen too. Not having played them, i wouldn’t know how they handle the 2 screens and touch feature. Heck, they emulated the holographic laserdisc game “time traveler”

Im still doubting its impossible for the emulators to be made. Not only is it not impossible to emulate two processors simulataneously (IIRC the saturn is dual-chipped. Not sure on that one, but I also KNOW for god reasons the N64 is 64-bit, and there is an emulator for that, so bits are not a factor), but most chips are turning to use dual-core and hyperthreading (a variant of dual-core) which from what I understand are basically a lesser form of dual-chips, but with more powerful chips (again referencing how a 100 mhz processor is 1/34th of my hyperthread job). I’d say keep the roms, TD, if I were for modern emulation, but as it stands I only emulate older systems (n64 is most recent I’ve gone), but I will say I highly doubt there won’t be an emulator.

In retrospect, I’m stupid. After thinking on it more, there really should be no reason why multi-processor units can’t be emulated. But then again, retrospect has a 20/20 modifier.

Yeah, if a computer is able to run multiple processes (like, once i ran TWO instances of ePSXe by mistake O_o) and if its really that tough, just have two separate proccesses, one for each cpu. Or something. I’ll likely get a better feel for dual-core emulation once I use a saturn emulator (which I plan on soon, like, after getting back to NH), but meh.

Oh, thought just occurred to me; you know the superfx chip, from the snes era? Remember starfox and its ilk? Or even megamanx2 and x3, even though whatever their’ chip did is unknown? Those are emulated just fine over snes9x and zsnes. I believe that running both the SNES chip and the superfx chip at once would be a dual-chip setup, correct?