I always lie.

Not true. There are an endless amount of in-between stages of “Sometimes lying, sometimes telling the truth”. Just because you don’t always lie doesn’t mean you don’t always tell the truth.

That’s not what the statement was in the first place.

He didn’t say “I sometimes lie”.

He said “I always lie”.

You JERK >:EEEE

Oops!!! I’ve been found out! :eek:

The following statement is true. The preceding statement is a lie.

And then what I said was basically nothing. I always tell the truth, except when I lie" is completely moot. The phrase after that is the most obvious statement I could’ve made regarding that.

One of the Tachikomas on Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex asked a Section 9 robot to figure out one of these types of questions.

The robot sat in the same spot for the entire episode looking dumb. :hahaha;

“I always lie.” is a lie.
“The above statement is true.” is also a lie.

The opposite of “I always lie” is “I don’t always lie”, not “I never lie”. Lying twice does not constitute always.

My dad once taught me it is best to lie when you know you can get away with it. Don’t tell the truth if everyone believes the lie.

edit: you wouldn’t be able to say the statement I always lie" if you really did. Suddenly I’m reminded of Labyrinth…

That’s debatable

Right, I shouldn’t say the opposite, I should say the negation is. Both statements do negate “I always lie”, after all.

No, just impossible to arrive. Which reminds me of a joke about engineers and scientists…

Big words! Listen, I took the quiz in KoTOR and got that question right. It’s not a paradox.

>.>

And you respect the people at BioWare?

That’s right

I went there

This statement is false.

BioWare>>>you

I’ve never played a BioWare game that was fun for more than 10 minutes

They make their games as boring and nerdy as possible and get all the DnD fans to buy them

I always lie too. especially when i’m tired.

You can never keep a lie forever. Someone always finds out. You can sometimes get away with telling a half-truth, and then claiming it was a misunderstanding and just look like a dumbass. But who wants to look like a dumbass ?

The problem is that the statement “I always lie” is not self-referencial. It is a statement about the person making the statement, not about the statement itself. Therefore as was explained previously in this thread, the statement “I always lie” can be interpreted as itself being a lie, with the meaning that the person making the statement in fact does not always lie. The statement says nothing about its own truth value.

If something is not always the case, it can be sometimes the case or never the case.

“This statement is false” is self-referencial and there is no sensible way to interpret its truth value.

what about a more explained statement, like “Everything i say is a lie.”?

I think that would work. But Pier’s way of saying it worked equally well, I think.