How long does the Earth have left?

2012…that’s what the mayans predicted. You have less than 4 years…have fun.

I think we can destroy the earth. It’s just that nobody really wants to. I mean, what kind of shit is that, to blow up the earth? I’m sure all you’d need is a few nuclear weapons that set off the plate techtonics to open up the crust then drop a few more down in there and we’d be fucked.

‘Sol’? The sun has a name? Shows how much I know.

There’s forces quite a bit more powerful than nukes getting their shit on underneath the crust, at worst we’d make the planet uninhabitable or carve out a new moon or something. Possibly both.

I doubt it. At most we’d trigger a few earthquakes. Seriously, people underestimate the sheer power of Earth’s natural forces (to say nothing of the rest of the Universe’s.)

‘Sol’? The sun has a name? Shows how much I know.
Most people don’t know it, Sorc. It’s just Latin for “Sun”, anyway.

Meh, I like Helios better. And how can people not no about ‘Sol’? It’s the Spanish, Latin and possibly French and Italian name for the Sun, for the Doors’ sake!

Anyways, if you want to blow up the Earth, you would need a bunch of Czar Bamba-class Thermonuclear Warhead(50 Megaton output). Even with those it’s pretty much impossible. Best you could do is throw off the Earth’s electromagnetic field and rotation, thus changing the planet into something similar to Mercury.

Yeah pretty much, though making the planet uninhabitable is actually possible to do with enough guts and hard work.

Sol is also the Swedish (and if I’m not mistaken, Norweigian and Danish) word for “sun”.

Yeah, but whoever tried that would probably end up dying themselves long before they could get rid of all the bacteria that will eventually evolve into new lifeforms capable of surviving on whatever grows from the spoils that are left when the Bond villain is dead.

And the coakroaches, of course. Coakroaches survive anything. Even nukes in “stone, paper, scissors EXTREME”.

Well, not just the cockroaches. pretty much, the insects will always survive. As long as there is any source of food for them, and stuff. Especially Twinkies.

Exit Mundi

Remains an interesting read when taken with a grain of salt.

There was a missing poll option, fixed now.

Consider it my way of saying ‘Nothing I can do about it, so why worry about it?’

Can’t elieve no one’s mentioned the LHC so far. I don’t believe it’ll end the world, but some guys do.

Corrected.

Oh yeah, the “Hard On” collider. I almost forgot about this potential Black Hole creator; we even had a thread about this not too long ago. If everything goes according to plan, the first attempt to circulate a beam is scheduled on September 10. I don’t believe in the Doomsday scenario either, but…

Your poll sucks. Where’s the OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAND! option?

Even if that overblown pressure cooker DOES wipe us out, it’ll probably be so fast we won’t even notice until we are dead. So, why worry? :wink:

i’m still waiting for 3rd impact. >3>

Well, the sun should last another 5 billion years or so before another supernova accurs . . . that will of course be the end of the earth and the birth of new planets and such. No, that isn’t to say that the idiocy of the world, humans, won’t kill eachother off first (which i’m sure they will) and possibly wreck the world for quite some time. But the world won’t be destroyed before then unless we get some kine of bombardment of meteors and haleys comet decides it would like to hit us lol.

The sun can’t go supernova. The sun hasn’t gone supernova in the past. Once a star goes supernova, it can’t again. It’s DEAD.

The sun will eventually turn into a red giant. In the red giant phase, the outer edge is believed to extend close to Earth’s orbit, enveloping Mercury and Venus. Eventually that outer edge will break free and all that will be left is a carbon core that will cool down over time. A white dwarf.

The 984 certainly has a white dwarf

Actually a supernova is possible . . . but nevermind that.