How long does the Earth have left?

Sorry if this is depressing, but…you know, when I can’t stop thinking about this shit, this is the only way to get it off my mind. So, how long before humanity finally destroys the planet to the point that, not only do we all die off, but that the Earth as we know it will completely cease to exist?

As of right now, we still don’t have the means to destroy all life on Earth permanently. Even if we A-bomb the hell out of it, pollute it as in Wall-E, or unleash killer bioweapons, there’s are still bacteria living deep within the Earth which will likely survive and evolve into something over millions of years. FYI, the Earth HAS suffered several natural extinction events already (meteor impacts, radiation waves from stars, etc.) that have (in some cases) wiped more than 90% of the (current) lifeforms. Seriously, look it up. So, even if we are stupid enough to destroy ourselves, most likely life, possible intelligent life, will eventually reappear (let’s hope they don’t commit our same mistakes.)

If it makes you feel any better, the planet doesn’t really give a shit. We do BS, we’ll pay for it.

Yeah. It’s the height of arrogance to think we as humans can permanently destroy something that’s been going on for billions of years. The Earth will always be around, and I daresay humans will also always be around. The chances of us going completely extinct are pretty slim.

Haha we wont destroy the planet but we’ll kill ourselves

We won’t destroy the planet, maybe fuck it a bit, but it’ll eventually fix itself. But the world won’t last forever, eventually the sun will explode or some other cosmic catastrophe.

That is true. But that will take a few billion years more… by then, either we’ll be extinct, or we’ll have long since left for safer parts.

or ascended :slight_smile:

Of course the earth will eventually end. All things end. But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

Admit it, The 984…

You ARE your father.

Many, many years ago when I was twenty-three
I was married to a widow who was pretty as could be.
This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red.
My father fell in love with her and soon they, too, were wed.

This made my dad my son-in-law and changed my very life
For my daughter was my mother, 'cause she was my father’s wife.
To complicate the matter, even though it brought me joy
I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy.

My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad
And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad
For if he was my uncle, then that also made him brother
To the widow’s grown-up daughter, who, of course, was my step-mother.

My father’s wife then had a son who kept them on the run
And he became my grand-child, 'cause he was my daughter’s son.
My wife is now my mother’s mother, and it makes me blue
Because, although she is my wife, she’s my grandmother too.

If my wife is my grandmother, then I am her grandchild
And every time I think of it, it nearly drives me wild
For now I have become the strangest case you ever saw
As husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpa.

I’m my own grandpa
I’m my own grandpa
It sounds funny I know
but it really is so
Oh, I’m my own grandpa.

Two days prior to The Day After Tomorrow.

Oh, all life as we know it could end any day. Wouldn’t take much to wipe us all off the face of the Earth. But hey, the planet would still be here…we just wouldn’t be. :smiley:

That is why each day is a unique and special gift. [/HEAVYsarcasm]

Well, it is a fact that the world will end when the sun burns itself out and becomes a black hole and absorbs our entire solar system. However, I think it’s naive to believe that we are incapable of truley destroying our planet. If “all things end”, than “anything is possible”.

Sol is far too small to become a blackhole. It will become a red giant then a white dwarf.

Till next Thursday.

Don’t be so sure. Unless you cheat, but that doesn’t count. /Nethack

The Earth will endure long after we’re gone.

One thing I would really like to know… after we are gone, possibly taking most of life with us, what will evolve to take our place?

HS, to answer your question, squids. Squids will be taking our place and the monkey’s place. XD

I have voted for more then 60 years because we ain’t stupid enough to kill the world. I already have a few plans for getting rid of humanity(I get really bored), but we’re not going to be able to actually destroy Earth(yet).