How long before RPGC dies out?

I sincerely hope RPGC continues for quite some time. I’ve been lurking these boards for a long while now, and would be quite saddened at the loss of them. This is easily my favorite place out of all those that I have wandered.

I say it lasts a few more years. Give FFNet a few more years to take in bad writers, make them think they’re good, and eventually they’ll overrun this place.

It is inevitable, Mr. Anderson…

I’m thinking this site will last a long time since new people come to this site often.

Unless someone decides to close the site. * glares at those idiots from FF.net* Then we’d be stuck with that site and I’m sure no one wants that.

No, this is juvenile:

LIEK, TEH MAILBAG SUCKS OMG!!! KAGON FUCKS WIHT TD LIEK EVERY FUCKING NIGHT OMGWTF!!!

I wasn’t trying to be badass. I was simply saying that I don’t find the mailbag funny anymore. I’m sorry if I was a little too extreme, but I was trying to say what was on my mind. And I apologize if I bitched about the mailbag before (although I can’t remember any other times…except one, and that was in a thread ABOUT the mailbag).

Then we’ll fight them off… with pointy sticks if we have to. :victoly:

Seriously now, this place seems to have a lot of stability. The most important thing about it is probably the people, and they won’t let it die.

I wouldn’t mind if you don’t like the mailbag anymore if I and others didn’t recall this being said constantly by you. We know you don’t like it- we don’t need the constant updates. If you don’t like it, don’t read it, and don’t make the comments about it.

I hope and think RPGC will last for a very long time.

Old soldiers never die, they just turn into bloodthirsty mutant zombies.

I think RPGC will run for quite a while so long as there are maintainers around to take care of it.

My best guess is any fucking day now.

says the guy with the name bushwins2004 B’p

:moogle:

Sorry we don’t all agree with your extremist and bewildering political philosophies, but that doesn’t mean our liberal minds will be our undoing.

Yeah it does. We’re being eaten from the inside by our fragile left-wing minds. <_<

You mean moral and social ethics? :stuck_out_tongue: Yeah, those are deffffinatly eating away at me!

Sadly, RPGC isn’t going to ‘die’ soon enogh. As a website, message board, or chat room, the people that make it ‘alive’ are still very young (in most cases) and constantly drawing in new people. The eventuall death of RPGC will come when the older generation of people, the foundation upon which the youngens come to build upon, pulls out for a ‘better’ life. At that time, probably everything but the chat will collapse almost imediatly (due to finactial costs). A time after that, the chat rooms wil widdle away and die. Only memories will survive, and even those will be poluted by other thoughts. So smile now and stuff! Cause you might not be around to smile tomorrow- life is long enough without having to regret things.

:kissy:

Gemini: If all goes well, RPGC should last forever
Joey: But some stuff doesn’t go all well.
Gemini: Good point, Mr. Heald. In reality I hope to see RPG Classics for a few more years.

It’s got plenty of time left, as long as the bills are paid. As any of you who’ve been here a while can attest to, many of the most regulars have disappeared or faded into obscurity while new regulars have taken their place, and as is the cycle of things. Gone are the days of weekly staff StarCraft games, and even some of the most regular staff (myself included) have become background people while newer staff have become the voice of the site. This will be the cycle, and is how things will happen forever more. Occasionally old regulars will show up (myself included) and breath some new life into some old faces, but that will pass just like always. The people who started this site are getting older, and as real life requires that jobs be obtained and bills be paid, site work and community becomes secondary and tertiary and eventually becomes “whenever I have a free evening” to “at least once a month.” But, as is the cycle of the internet, fresh young faces will always have free time. They will find this site, set up camp, the old regulars will think that they’re immature, and the youngers will outlast the elders until the cycle repeats.

Additionally, why is everyone comparing RPGC to some fanfic site? Aren’t there other things here? There weren’t fanfics when I first joined, and the fanfic section never really took off until the last couple of years. January will mark my <B><I>SIXTH</I></B> year at RPGC. Obviously, those haven’t been six <I>straight</I> years, as I’ve taken some sabbaticals, but that’s six years since I first joined the community. There were no fanfics then, there was very little fan music. This site was then what I still feel it’s about now; information, and community. However, things have changed. Newer information has been added (such as fanfics, etc), and the community has rolled over.

As is the nature of things.

Not to say that things are eternal, though. Perhaps the www as a medium will die out someday, and this “website” will be replaced with some other form of informative community baring the name “RPGClassics.”

Back when RPGC was young, I was the token youngster of RPGClassics (12 years old while everyone else was like 17 and 18), and I’ve kind of grown up with RPGC’s rise from a pretty small little site to this huge thing, and now there are all these 13-year-old little twerps occupying the same position I used to hold - and like, while I have contributed a bunch to RPGClassics, I’d be lying if I said I was an active participant in staff affairs. I’m seriously not sure what’ll happen when the people from way back when the site was founded up and like, get married, get full-time jobs, that sort of thing - I don’t think the “youngers” will necessarily follow through on taking over the leadership positions left to them when the older people leave the site - I think though, that the community is remarkably stable and well-balanced such that, it doesn’t require the constant vigilance of the admins and mods to function as a friendly, happy place - and I think that’s really cool.

So yeah, I don’t know what’ll happen to the community of RPGC as the years pass on by, and as for the content, well, it’ll always be totally awesome, barring another Great Deletion of some sort.

I dunno where the fanfic discussion came from, Saturn, though I think it’s because most of the authors here are very wary of ff.net and see it as a general eyesore. Just go there and check the Inuyasha section to see what I mean.

And…

Glurrr… I probably could, but that would mean more work for me. It’s enough as it is. RPGC is the place that hired me, and here I’ll be staying for as long as I can :slight_smile:
Lesse… I think this is my fourth year here, but I’m not 100% sure. I was lurking around for a good while before I started to contribute with anything, I even remember the old, dark layout and Jim’s announcement of the new RPGClassics site during the revolution.

I think even if we don’t actually take an active participation, some of us (ie me) who aren’t anywhere near the ‘oldest’ members but who’ve been here a while, might try and contribute towards it, even if it’s only server costs to keep the site up, to keep it alive.

The site will last for ages that is pretty much given. But as many have already stated, it will be the older members who leave.

And there in lies the problem. For as the older members “retire” from RPGC, and the new ones take there places. I have a feeling that the community will slowly begin to drift apart. For the younger generations do not seem to be as close as the current one is. And so, this trend will continue, until the site has become nothing but a shell of ait’s former self. And it will be have to be put out of it misery.

But until that day comes, let us enjoy the time we have now. The friends we have made, the friends we have yet to make, all the memories we share, and all the stuff still to come.

Very well stated. I couldn’t agree more. This site when I first found it I just read the fanfiction, then I read the history and was moved by the sence of duty and honor involved to keep it. I joined the forum shortly after and I found this place to be truely remarkable. The people here are good and I hope RPGC lives forever.

Sorry I’m rambleing.