How do you say "Sephiroth"?

I always pronounce it “Sef-eh-roth” and Aeris as “Air-ees”. I always thought that sounded pretty cool.

Someone said Sephiroth should Sephiloth, based on the Japanese pronunciation

Absolutely not. Sephiroth is not a Japanese word, it’s a Hebrew one. Strictly speaking, there are two Hebrew pronunciations of the word (Ashkenazic and Sephardic). The first is “S’feerose” (with the second syllable rhyming with “dose”), the second is “S’feerot” (second syllable similar to the English word “rote”). Exchanging the “s” for “th” is something introduced in the King James Bible to differentiate between two Hebrew letters which are actually pronounced identically.

Sephiroth is probably written as “sefirosu” and Aeris as “aerisu.”

They are indeed.

Sephiroth is not the “power which created the world”. Check the Name Origins section of the FFCompendium for a basic explanation of the term, which I will decline to go into more depth about.

Well as for your Aeris pronunciation, your not pronouncing Aeris at all, your saying Aries, which is a completely different word.

Darn I was gonna say that… heheh

lol, well, Aeris isnt a Zodiac, ARIES is… lol, or a god of war, or somthing like that…

ARES is the god of War

ah, so thats how you spell the god of war’s name, ty

How about Ay-Rees?

I pronounce it Seph-ee-roth. ALthough my friends and I have had many an argument over how its pronounced… How petty of us. :stuck_out_tongue:

From what I understand, the original spelling of the name Sephiroth is actually Sefiroth . And that the Hebrew’s pronounced it Seff-ee-rote . I don’t know how much sense that makes. In the song, One Winged Angel, it is infact latin, and they are saying, Seff-ee-roth . Personally, I think the last pronunciation is correct, but there is not much harm in saying it any old way, as it may get cleared up in Advent Children. The problem with this is, Ryu, was pronounced Rye-you in the Street Fighter movie (live action) and in every other anime that I had seen, it was Ree-you, so what I am saying is that errors can be made, and everyone has their own iron-opinion. Make the call yourself.

This is something that I never could really figure out that maybe you guys can help me with…

Did Sephiroth exist, and then was altered? Or was he created from scratch?

This has nothing to do with how the name is pronounced, but I figured this was a good thread to ask this particular question in.

If you watch a Vincent bit if you have either the Sub or a certain Choboco. You ‘hear’ that Sephiroth is an lab Experiment. Seen as I can’t reamber it properly, I think that he had JENOVA cells inplanted in to him before he was placed in the womb of Vincent’s Girl Friend.

Big Nutter

Ah, I see. Yeah, I haven’t done the Vincent stuff yet… I’ve played the game maybe 3 times through and forgot about the Vincent stuff every time. Thanks!

ARGH!
Ignore this…
I’m tired and I’ve just recovered from a cold so my brain is sort of fried…
This was a post that didn’t belong…

2nd Edit: Oh well… Might as well use it for something relevant…

As for Sephiroth’s origin:

He was Hojo’s and Lucretia’s (don’t know how to spell it) son, and Hojo used Lucretia for as a guinea pig (i.e. Sephiroth too) for his experiments before he was born.

That’s at least what I’ve managed to find out from the game…

For Me it’s Seh-Feer-Roth. And I pronounce Tidus with the Long I sound. and as for Aeris I pronounce it like it’s spelled.

Exactly, there’s no th sound, but the Japanese mimic most of times with an s sound (Thunder Beam in Final Fantasy VI is “Sanda Biimu”, a classic katakana reference). So when they place an s somewhere you can’t know wether it’s a real s or a th. I use Aerith because I think it sounds cooler… i like the th’s and dh’s.