Holy shit! Zelda!

Gamestation where I live have the original NES cartridges for Zelda and Adventure of Link for £15 each. I mean these things have a gold finish for chrissake, and they’re in perfect condition. Should I get them or what? They look awesome.

Two words: Right on! :hyperven:

Very cool! Go for it!

Speaking of which, does anybody know a place where I could purchase a new NES system, even though it would be used? My old one is screwed, and I just got some new games for it; Mega Man 4, the Japanese version of SMB3, and two of those 250 in 1 cartridges from Taiwan along with a Famicom to NES converter. I want to try them out, but my system is kaput. 8(

In one word: emulators.

Go ahead and buy them, Pierson. Although personally, I prefer the Zelda: Collectors’ Edition on GCN, just because it’s cheaper. But the deal’s been discontinued. :fungah:

Erdrick, he said he bought the games. You must realize that NESs are usually pretty cheap.

Dalton, I’m not too sure where to buy, but try calling stores and/or going to the mall. You should find at least a coupla places where they’re being sold.

Psh, whatever dude. Don’t waste your money on outdated technology.

Actually, the grey carts are rarer because Nintendo sold so many of the gold colored ones.

But gold looks so much better.

Yes, they do, I’m just sayin’.

Dalton: I’ve got an NES for sale. :sunglasses: It still worked the last time I tried it (a few months ago). We do live in the same city, so if you’re interested maybe we can figure something out.

Btw, clear out your PM box.

I know he already bought them, but that would officially make emulating legal. There’s virtually no place to find a NES these days. So I suggested emulation.

Cid, thanks. I cleaned it out, and I’m very interested in buying. Do you have any games I could buy for a little extra, too? 8)

Are you saying the modular phonograph i just bought was mearly wasted coppers? I bite my thumb at you good sir, one day you must come to my abode and listen to my recording disk titled “Blind Lemon Lipshits and his large Ragtime band” and surely you will take back your previous statement IF you are not to busy dancing with joy because of the pure pleasure of Mr. Blind Lemon’s piano solo!

Oh check ebay, you should be able to get a replacement cartarage reader very cheap and repair it yourself.

What can I say? There’s a feeling of nostalgia and joy when playing an NES that I don’t get while playing on an emulator.

Emulation isn’t legal no matter how you look at it. I should know, I had an emulation site for years, before the IDSA (now the <A HREF=“http://www.theesa.com/”>ESA</A>) told me to take it down. No matter what you’ve read on the internet, there is no technicality to make it legal. Even if you own the cartridges, even if you only have them for 24 or 48 hours, or whatever. Having any ROM images that aren’t considered public domain (meaning that the developer of the game has officially released the ROM image for people to download, mostly just homebrewn games), is illegal, no matter what. The reason people can have backup copies of PC games is because the EULA (End-User License Agreement) allows one to make a backup copy for personal use, in case the original copy craps out (and even then, many newer games lose this part in the EULA). Console games have no such statement in the EULA, mostly because copying them was impossible until fairly recently. Thus, it’s illegal no matter how you look at it. If you’re still fine with doing it, be my guest. I’m not going to talk you out of it; hell I had an emulation site for years, apparently I’m fine with it.

As for finding an NES? Be happy Cid has one to spare. They’re becoming HARD to find, surprisingly. Don’t check a retail store, you’ll very rarely find one there. Start the search on eBay.

As for whether or not you should get the Zelda games? I’d say go for it. They’re best on their original platform, and, honestly, I’ve had more fun playing classic stuff lately than I have with the current stuff. If you’re desperate to avoid the “aging technology,” then grab it up for <A HREF=“http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=916358”>Gamecube</A> (decent port, if you can get used to the controller), or for <A HREF=“http://ebgames.com/ebx/product/242757.asp”>Gameboy Advance</A> (good port, but the “crunched graphics” make it a bit hard to tell where you are on screen at times).

The gamestop near my house has a ton of the “revision 2” NES’s. You know, the one with the dog bone. I think they are more common now than the nice front loaders. =\

I used to have an NES and a Gold copy of both Zeldas…but then my mother gave them to one of those poor people foundations without telling me. I was devestated. The NES is my favorite system ;_;

Actually, those are still rare as hell. I’d buy 'em up and put 'em on eBay, you’ll make a pretty penny. Front loaders are about 20 times more common than toploaders with the dogbone controllers, and the top loaders work better, too.

My NES crapped out a few years back, and I use emulators. I’m not denying that it’s illegal, but I still use 'em. It’s preservation of classics! (For what its worth, though, I only emulate dead systems, and am very against next-gen emulation.)

But yeah, Dalton’s right. Emulators are good, but nothing compairs to playing an actual NES.

I’m not saying that there’s anything wrong with emulating… heck, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t use emulators myself, for every console (NES, SNES, GBA, Saturn, PSX, Arcade, TurboGrafx, etc). I just prefer to use the original, and I don’t want others to confuse themselves into believing that the use of commercial ROMS is legal in any way.