Hey GAP

Black Sabbath blows :slight_smile:

Come on, at least give me an argument. We could go on and be all “DOES NOT!” “DOES TOO!” But I expected better.

Your expectations are way too high. Argument? What the fuck? I don’t THINK.

They totally do not.

Counterpoint:
Black Sabbath does not blow. They do the opposite of blow. They suck.

What I’m trying to say is

Black Sabbath sucks.

It’s a combination of not liking low-fi recordings from 40 years ago, and thinking there are newer bands who do what they do a lot better than they did it, without making it every 16 year old guitarist’s wet dream to play Iron Man.

Please tell me I don’t need more of a reason than that :frowning:

Sabbath = Good
hades = good too

Sabbath = Record deals, millions of fans, helped spawn a new genre
Hades = …painted his own guitar some blue color.

Sabbath = win
Hades = fail

<object width=“425” height=“344”><param name=“movie” value=“http://www.youtube.com/v/rN990fv8hcs&hl=en&fs=1”></param><param name=“allowFullScreen” value=“true”></param><param name=“allowscriptaccess” value=“always”></param><embed src=“http://www.youtube.com/v/rN990fv8hcs&hl=en&fs=1” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=“always” allowfullscreen=“true” width=“425” height=“344”></embed></object>

Yay Zakk :smiley:

So Black Sabbath is good at music for doing the same thing The Backstreet Boys did, and I’m bad at it for doing something that’s not related to it whatsoever? Okay.

Zakk is overrated. Not as overrated as “Synyster Gates,” but overrated nonetheless.

Hell, all of those fucking shredders are overrated and missing the point. Once you hit a certain level of speed, it stops sounding good and starts to sound weak and erratic. In my opinion, if you can play 6nps or so, you’re getting to a point where it’s more useful to start working on something else.

And just FYI Cro, painting a guitar so it doesn’t look like shit is a long and complicated process that’s a lot more impressive than playing a Sabbath song. You say it like I just whipped out a can of paint and a brush one day and started slopping it on. This makes me sad :frowning:

I like Black Sabbath.

Hey, you’re the one comparing something new and experimental from years ago to its much progressed and practiced form today. No shit its not as good as some shit today, but they did well on taking the chance back then.

So Black Sabbath is good at music for doing the same thing The Backstreet Boys did, and I’m bad at it for doing something that’s not related to it whatsoever? Okay.

Way to compare apples and oranges there. I had enough talk of the BSB when I was trying to learn Pre-calc from a loud-mouthed obese woman that would stray from mathematics to talk to us all about a concert where she met their kids, wives, girlfriends, and got their numbers or some shit :stuck_out_tongue:

Point is, what should I listen to more of? Something I like and helped spawn a genre, or someone bitch about why they hate it while comparing one genre to another one entirely? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hell, all of those fucking shredders are overrated and missing the point. Once you hit a certain level of speed, it stops sounding good and starts sound weak and erratic. In my opinion, if you can play 6nps or so, you’re getting to a point where it’s more useful to start working on something else.

One man’s garbage, another’s treasure blahblahblah. You know what I love about them though? They don’t really have to play fast. They can play at any speed. And if they’re having fun and pleasing the people that they intend on pleasing, how are they missing the point? If you’ve a decent response to that question, please explain.

edit: Daaawwwww. I know its a long ass process. I wasn’t trying to be a dick. I’m sorry Haders :frowning: hawt makeup sex later?

Argument (+gratis assumption): Listening to Paranoid (the album) makes for a good discussion on BS’ merits, listening to Paranoid (the song) makes for a bad discussion. Also, I like Tony Martin.

Yeah, that’s legit.

lol, I only bitched about them because GAP begged me to :stuck_out_tongue:

Be honest though, how do you respond when you see some kid born in 1991 decked out in Zeppelin gear like he thinks he’s some kind of classic rock guru? They’re a good band, but people who think they’re legendary tend to be posers who haven’t heard much else, and I see Black Sabbath the same way. Anyone can get into Sabbath. They’re on every top list of rock and metal anything, ever. People who have actually explored the genre don’t tend to cite them as one of their favourite bands though, because they’re so known and done that they don’t define anything about you. The kind of people who like Sabbath are the kind of people who’ll listen to anything and just end up liking what they hear the most of. Or people who want to look like they have some kind of archaic rock mojo in the eyes of everyone who doesn’t, and a tool in the eyes of everyone who actually does. Just my opinion.

One man’s garbage, another’s treasure blahblahblah. You know what I love about them though? They don’t really have to play fast. They can play at any speed. And if they’re having fun and pleasing the people that they intend on pleasing, how are they missing the point? If you’ve a decent response to that question, please explain.
Music is a communication medium. The accuracy of the message is what’s important, and playing at breakneck speeds the way Zakk does almost never serves any purpose in the context of his songs. I think guys like Joe Satriani and Paul Gilbert are good for the reasons you mentioned because they don’t do it to be worshiped, whereas guys like Zakk and Vai are pretty much just jacking off. Once again, just my opinion.

The fact that you even care speaks volumes. Advice for you: end the pain, or go see a shrink and get some pills.

I’ll get on that

I’ve gotta say I disagree. The Clash basically fill the niche you’re talking about for punk, and they’re still one of my top few favourite bands ever. This is not because I am a poseur trying to convince people I’m punk (that is what spending nineteen hours spiking up one’s hair is for), or because I feel they define something about me (I guess they could be used inductively to discern something about my taste in music.) I like their music and the statement it makes a lot.
Also, it’s kind of silly to say that they end up on the top of every rock/metal list, yet that nobody who actually listens to rock/metal likes them that much.

As for the guitarists mentioned, my relationship with shredding is very complex, but I like neither Satriani nor Gilbert much more than Vai and Zakk.

Speaking of archaic rock mojo, Nazareth’s cover of “This Flight Tonight” is rad as hell.

Hades: I thought maybe you were being serious until you started talking about speed. Black Sabbath is slow and plodding, which is actually one of the reasons I love them. They sound exactly how I picture the concept “doom.”

Also, I’ve HEAVILY explored metal. I haven’t explored as much as say, Gila, but when I guarantee you I could name TONS of metal bands you’ve never even heard of, most of them foreign (to be fair). Black Sabbath is so great because they were the inspiration for so many of these bands.

Locke: At least try to like… you know… argue? “Lol take some pills man” isn’t an argument. Correction: it’s an argument, but it’s a bad argument. Let me address what Hades said about Led Zeppelin:

I understand exactly what you mean. It’s like when I see kids decked out in Ramones or Misfits shirts. I’d say about 90% of the time they just wear those shirts because of the cred they have, rather than their music. I’ll give you that. Hell, I bet you even 5% of the time they don’t even know who the fucking band is (I’ve heard many a kid say "check out my cool tee with the skull)! But bullshit statistics I pulled out of my ass aside, you’re committing a great fallacy when you assume that people that love Led Zeppelin because they haven’t heard anything better. Let’s use me as an example. Black Sabbath is one of my favorite bands. Zombina and the Skeletones is also one of my favorite bands. Black Sabbath is one of the most popular bands of all time, whereas Zombina is fairly obscure. But by your definition, by loving Black Sabbath I’m condemning myself to mediocrity and making it UNABLE for me to listen to more independent music. I call shenanigans. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, it’s kind of silly to say that they end up on the top of every rock/metal list, yet that nobody who actually listens to rock/metal likes them that much.
They end up on the top of lists because in general they’re a very liked band if you take the average choices of a wide variety of people who like rock. But most individual people who are really into rock will have at least a few bands they like a lot more, even though those bands aren’t liked in the same sweeping way that Black Sabbath is. So yes, people who like rock enjoy Black Sabbath. But people who like rock enough to explore the genre can usually find something that works better for them.

Also, GAP, nothing I said about speed has anything to do with Black Sabbath. I could outshred Black Sabbath.

And also also, I don’t give a shit about who they inspired. When I’m putting songs on my iPod I choose the ones I like hearing, not the ones that are historically significant.

Also^3: There are exceptions to every rule. You know the gist of my argument is spot-on :stuck_out_tongue:

See, I just do not think that the more music anyone knows, the less they will like Black Sabbath. I know a girl who listens to a shitton of metal, and Ozzy Sabbath is her favourite band of all time. I think you’re assuming that because they’re popular, and thus people don’t need to know a lot of metal to like them, people who know a lot of metal won’t like them. Which really does not follow. I think you tend to make other people too much like yourself, in your head; I don’t enjoy bars, nobody does, they just think they do; more obscure bands better fit your taste, they will fit everyone’s better if other people found them.

Ah, but you were arguing they “blow.” Now you’re arguing that they’re okay, but there’s better stuff out there. Which is it?