Hey GAP

I don’t think they get worse if you know more. I just think the more you know, the more likely you are to find bands that fit your taste better than the ones that are shoved down your throat like BS. Liking BS isn’t bad, but putting them on the top of your list only implies that you haven’t really looked at what’s out there. Implies.

The blow thing was a joke.

I mean, that’s fair. I guess I just don’t label people as much as you do, so it’s kind of alien to me to think, “Oh, Zeppelin shirt, what a poseur trying to show his archaic rock mojo,” I tend to think, “Oh, Zeppelin shirt, that guy likes Led Zeppelin.”

How could what I said be an argument? It was a comment stating that I think it’s strange to get all butt hurt because you saw a person wearing a Zeppelin t-shirt.

I like to think Hades lives like Wolverine in the early '90s, going from one seething rage to the next.

But he doesn’t have the cool theme song from the early 90s X-Men show. Duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh… duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh… duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh… nuh nuh! Duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh… duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh… duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh… nuh nuh!

Tch ,that’s not it GAP. You forgot the elongonated nuuuuuuuuh in the middle. It’s "Duh nuh nuh nuuuuh nuh nuh…duh nuh nuh nuh nuh, nuh nuh…"etc. Come on man. Weaksauce.

I don’t normally like elongating my vowels.

Oh baby, oh baby.

This is why Hades is the coolest.

Dream Theater end up on the top of lists because in general they’re a very liked band if you take the average choices of a wide variety of people who like progressive metal. But most individual people who are really into progressive metal will have at least a few bands they like a lot more, even though those bands aren’t liked in the same sweeping way that Dream Theater is. So yes, people who like progressive metal enjoy Dream Theater. But people who like progressive metal enough to explore the genre can usually find something that works better for them.

There are like 5 Prog Metal bands in existence, and two of them are the same band :stuck_out_tongue: (DT and Liquid Tension Experiment :P)

You’re absolutely WRONG about that!

GOD! You’re such an idiot for not having memorized the Encyclopedia Metallum! But here, let’s do you a favor:

Let’s see… let’s look up bands by genre… okay… progressive metal. Here. 4453 bands total. Holy shit! Well, I guess you were only 4448 off, so I’ll go easy on you. Granted, that includes people who just released demos. Okay, that’s fair. Let’s go to another easy source, like Wikipedia.

Holy fuckbeans! And these are the ones that are at least notable enough to have a Wikipedia page. For shame, you’ve never heard of seminal prog metal bands such as The Number Twelve Looks Like You and Mizraab. Dream Theater is only listened to by people who haven’t explored the genre enough to truely appreciate what progressive metal has to offer. Furthermore, they don’t really enjoy the music they listen to. They only wear the tee shirts and go to the concerts so that other posers will nod sagely and defer to your supposéd knowledge of a genre which you know nothing of!

Have you heard Ayreon?

And there are a lot of bands on that list that aren’t progressive, for some reason. Two major ones are Kamelot and Blind Guardian.

Seriously though, Ayreon.

<object width=“425” height=“344”><param name=“movie” value=“http://www.youtube.com/v/tIqRsl8Vm-Q&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0”></param><param name=“allowFullScreen” value=“true”></param><param name=“allowscriptaccess” value=“always”></param><embed src=“http://www.youtube.com/v/tIqRsl8Vm-Q&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=“always” allowfullscreen=“true” width=“425” height=“344”></embed></object>

This is one of the most intense songs ever wrought by a human mind, I swear :stuck_out_tongue:

This is wrong to the extreme. Not only are there many other progressive metal bands, like GAP mentioned, but the term progressive can be applied quite well to other sub-genres as long as the music fits the definition.

There are some great ones, and the cool thing about the progressive definition is that it is not limited to itself, it can be applied to many sub-genres. Enslaved for example are a black metal band with strong progressive elements. Voivod on the other hand are a Canadian thrash/speed metal band and they are insanely progressve. Ackercocke, progressive death metal… and Fates Warning of course, who have a more traditional sound more akin to what you would expect ala Dream Theatre.

Ayreon are pretty cool. They’re the band with all the guest appearances on their albums right? I’ve been meaning to check out a full album by them.

As for the whole Black Sabbath thing… I think most of it’s been covered but I’ll go on anyways. Yes there are many newer bands that are out now a days, and you should probably be giving them a chance first before you go out and buy more BS records simply for the fact that if you support them they will grow faster. However, Black Sabbath is on the top of lists for a reason: they’re fucking damn good at what they did and still do (with Dio now fuck yeah).

You can easily pull the card that kids wearing band apparel of bands just to get credentials are douchebags, and I’ll agree with you to an extent (wearing a shirt because you like a picture doesn’t seem like a bad thing to me, which is the case in some situations). However, the same douchebag kids that you’re telling to explore music further will then exploit the underground bands you love so much. Basically what I’m saying is there’s douchebags who brag about popular bands, and then there’s douchebags who brag about how underground they are for listening to bands you’ve never heard of. Which one is worse? I don’t know, I haven’t had breakfast yet.

As for “outshredding Black Sabbath” on guitar… well good fucking luck with that one. I don’t think Toni Iommi can do sweeps but he’s a fucking killer guitarist who has clearly been playing for the majority of his life now. That said you were probably joking around as only a jackass would say such things seriously.

You could tell I was joking about out-shredding someone, but not about there only being 5 prog metal bands? Come on :stuck_out_tongue:

And yes, Ayreon are that “band.”

And sweeps are the most overrated shit :stuck_out_tongue:

Agreed about sweeping. Oh man is that shit ever lame. It’s cool when it’s thrown at say the climax of a song, but when you base your whole songwriting and lead playing off of it your integrity is crippled to me.

Yeah I figured you were joking about the 5 prog bands, I just wanted to be an elitist jerk and list off bands to show how underground I am. :chupon: And, perhaps, maybe get you to listen to some of them. Seriously. Check out Enslaved’s new release Vertebrae (I think that’s how it’s spelled). It’s an excellent mix of clean and harsh sounds that you might enjoy. http://www.myspace.com/enslaved

Sweeps are one of those things that seem to take so much concentration and effort that you can’t play the song and also enjoy it at the same time. And that goes against what I personally believe music to be about.

Well, I’m sure with enough practice you can get it to the point where they’re not that much trouble to pull off. I guess that’s sort of the appeal of bands who do that stuff all the time, is it’s pushing everything to the extreme. Too bad songwriting isn’t included! haha!

But yeah I agree with you. Just playing what you’re feeling at the time is great. Mind you working up a sweat during a jam is always a good thing. It should always be about enjoying the music you’re playing.

I’m listening to “The Watcher” by Enslaved. It’s good :stuck_out_tongue:

Good! I’m glad you like it. I think their newer stuff is right up your alley if you can tolerate harsh styles at times.

Also, while you’re at it, check out Cynic:

http://www.myspace.com/cyniconline

And I was mostly joking, obviously. I was just taking your argument and showing how absurd it was. :stuck_out_tongue: