GunslingerGuy Forsaken Station: What are your favourite non-RPG PS1 games?

NO DON’T!!! >:(

Hades needs more In Flames in his ears :frowning:

You’re right! Youtube here I come!

You can’t really use the “good for its time” argument on MGS; quite a few games were one-upping it hardcore YEARS in advance. Fuck MGS, yo!

I can see how Yoshi’s Island would cover your need to play a stealth action game :crab::crab::crab: (<<stealth crabs). The influence of Resident Evil on MGS is clear, I agree, but the focus of the game was distinctly different. Survival horror vs stealth action.

I am fond of Shadows of the Empire because I spent more time with it than I should have, but it was a lousy shooter that didn’t really have any stealth - unless you mean being shot at from the other side of the screen and trying to [strike]see[/strike] reach the enemy without dying or enemies suddenly appearing at set moments with prolonged firefights taking place. The large exploration stretches where nothing happened do not make this a MGS. (Incidentally, the Battle of Hoth at the first stage was fantastic and some clever people ditched the rest of the game and created Rogue Squadron). I think Dark Forces (I or II though?) had more stealth elements than SotE.

I suppose you could play Fallout stealthily, though it doesn’t cover the same “everyone wants to kill you/infiltrate places” territory - it’s a bit more social. In Goldeneye you can sneak up on people, though as often as not James doesn’t avoid combat and goes guns blazing. As for Gerudo Fortress, you can’t die regardless of your performance i.e. the stealth part is a mini-game.

To conclude, if you wanted a stealth action game, you would be playing MGS or waiting for Thief to come out. Or be playing Starcraft and not be doing much else at all.

I’m not even really talking about stealth. MGS is just a low qual game. It has so little fun factor compared to pretty much everything else ever :smiley:

Well, a more intelligent bot could. Shadows of the Empire was a Star Wars game. I bet it’s storyline is as innovative as it is not terrible. MGS isn’t about getting to think you’re hot shit because you can kill an endless army of stormtroopers like those guys in movies you want to be. It’s about learning that you don’t want to be those guys.

No wonder it stinks :frowning:

I liked Megaman Legends 2. Granted I played it a long time ago so I don’t know how well it stands today.

Don’t forget that in YI you had to stealthly not touch those fuzzies lest you got dizzy.

As for Goldeneye there were a few parts to that game where the stage couldn’t be completed if you killed certain people (such as that bitch that you’re always forced to save) wherein keeping them alive was most difficult to do when you went in guns ablazed. Plus health was in such short supply and if you did things wrong you would have up to like 20 guys spaying your general vicinity down with machine gun fire which generally led to you being hosed. Also a console owner and three of his friends could play a good FPS together, rather than performing some arcane technological wizardry to hook up four gaming rigs to achieve the same effect.

And in the end, is that not what really matters…?

Also also OoT had TWO stealth segments.

Don’t forget that in YI you had to stealthly not touch those fuzzies lest you got dizzy.

Heh. Yoshi’s Island was fantastic, especially transforming into vehicles with Yoshi’s face. Not to mention you had a whole wardrobe of Yoshis in trendy colours to match your surroundings.

Ah, Natalya whatshernameva. Yeah, that’s true. However, if you ducked behind a corner said 20 guys would charge in and summarily get dispatched. In Archives, that supposed stealth stage where you’re interrogated, grab your silenced PPK and try to escape without an alarm going off, you can just wait behind the door, kill enough people till their hats litter their floor (first shot to their cap, second to their head) and when you leave no more reinforcements will be available.

As for hiding among His Majesty’s bushes… no comment.

Yeah, but you’d never unlocked the cheat using that method.

Fair point. Just as you’d never unlock the cheat at the train stage if you didn’t run throughout the stage (and even then the outcome wasn’t sure).

Enough about this fucking shit! Thread closed!

Every thread I start turns to shit! What is wrong with me? God, why have you forsaken me!!!

No way man, this thread is going places.

Choo choo!

To be fair, it was not GSG that killed this thread.

I love this train.

Well, here’s a few games that I thought were ok:
MedEvil
MegamanX4, 5, & 6
Intelligent Qube (CRAZY)
One (Like a hardcore 3D Megaman it was!)
40 Winks
Both Oddworld games
MDK (Was that PS1?)
Metal Gear Solid (If you get entertained by awesome voice acting, it’s not bad. A 5 hour long movie it is.)
Einhander
Bushido Blade

Oh no, it wasn’t the airplanes. It was beauty killed the beast.

I hate that movie so much