FUCK EVERYTHING

Capcom cancelled Megaman Legends 3

I lack the words to truly and accurately express the hatred, betrayal and disappointment I am feeling right now, so just… fuck it. Fuck it ALL, FOREVER.

At least I didn’t rush to buy a 3DS for this game like I know a lot of people did.

Apparently something is going on with the 3DS, because that’s not the only 3DS game to be cancelled. HMMM.

I would suspect the true culprit to be those 3rd party devs trying too hard to cash in on the 3DS’s 3D mechanic without actually knowing how to even work with it. Thus their efforts to flood the system with quick cash ins are backfiring on them by being too costly to crap out. Hence them cutting a lot of support due to biting off way more than they could chew.

That, or Nintendo’s still being the domineering archaic console developer that we all know and wish would get a clue.

Yeah. Saw this yesterday. Disappointing that Megaman has finally been megacanned. But we all knew that this was inevitable back when Inafune got the boot.

This still sucks though. At least we know that Capcom won’t bother making that MegaMoe game they’ve always wanted to twist the Megaman series into since Touhou has already beaten them to the punch (of course when has that ever stopped Capcom from stealing someone else’s creation).

The 3DS is running into the same problems as the Wii, the Gamecube and the N64: no one is making games for it. Nintendo isn’t even helping itself as its not bringing the few JRPGs made in the past few years to NA, where they would sell in greater numbers than they did in Japan (ironically). Go go statistics.

On a side note, I can’t believe people still play Capcom games. I can’t stand their products.

Have you played Street Fighter IV?

No and neither am I interested in the genre or the game. And if you want to mention SFIV, Capcom’s pulling the same shit as they always do by recycling their IP and robbing their gullible fans with rehashed re-releases.

The rehashed re-releases are actually pretty awesome. Super Street Fighter IV was a good improvement I’d say, with some good characters added. The Arcade Edition (which I also picked up) may not have been necessary for a casual fan like myself, but the hardcore players like it well enough. Needless to say, Capcom can still make a good fighting game.

Capcom revitalized the fighting genre with the Street Fighter IV franchise. They sold over 5 million copies of the game, there are big SSF IV cash tournaments all over the place, and fighting game communities are thriving for the first time in years. The online play is incredible. If you liked fighting games, you’d probably understand why SSF IV is the top fighting game in the world, no contest.

And why wouldn’t they recycle their IP? That’s what consumers want. See Zelda, Mario, FF7, etc.

Comparing Nintendo and Capcom couldn’t be farther off the base. Nintendo may whore out Mario like a five-dollar prostitute, but even then the assorted games they shove him into tend to be at the very least average, if not good. When it’s time to make proper sequels to their franchises, they either do great stuff or at the very worst mediocre. I just recently complained about Twilight Princess, but even then the game was not terrible, it simply did not deliver on the kind of refreshing new quality we expect from big-budget Zelda titles. Bottom line is, brand will only take you so far if your games aren’t good, just ask Sonic. Nintendo may dip the bucket in the same well constantly, but they know how to take care of their brands and occasionally deliver some genuinely awesome stuff like Mario Galaxy 2.

Capcom is more famous for getting a good idea, telling the person responsible for that idea to go fuck himself and then run it into the ground. The quality of their games is wildly dependant on how much the individual developers can get their way, and when they can’t, things go to hell (See: any Megaman game not made by Inafune). Alternatively, they can also outsource their manpower without making any effort to ensure the new guys don’t rape the shit out of the IP (Looking forward to the new DMC?). They’ve latched onto a very few individual franchises that are easy to copypaste with minimum effort and rehashed them to hell and back while they let all others to rot, to the point that save for Ace Attorney (Which they’ve already shown signs of starting to drop), they are now basically “Street Fighter and Resident Evil Inc.”. The few upcoming titles not related to those two are, surprise, Inafune’s brainchildren. Going back to Nintendo, their games tend to at least incorporate new mechanics. Say what you will about Squeenix and FF7, but none of the games they released were FF7 with a boob job, they were all different games, sometimes in different genres, that happened to use the same setting. Capcom will sell you the same Street Fighter you just bought at full price with tweaks that other genres would never get away with selling as anything but DLC, and you’ll buy it because SFII brainwashed you into thinking it somehow makes sense to pay full price several times over for gradual improvements.

You know Platinum Games? It’s a relatively new studio that has been churning out some really, really awesome titles as of late. It’s also the place where most of Capcom’s talent has been fleeing to for the past few years. Inafune was just the last in a long stretch of Capcom’s talent haemorrhage. Almost everyone is jumping ship in much the same way everyone worth shit left Square years ago.

I didn’t mean to directly compare Nintendo and Capcom; I was trying to make the point that successful characters and games (IP) are rehashed, in one way or another.

I can’t speak for what Capcom has done with their other titles, or what goes on at the company. I got bored with Mega Man after III, and that was what, 20+ years ago? I don’t like Resident Evil, I don’t play Disney games, and I had to scratch my head to remember if I finished Devil May Cry. I thought Okami sucked.

They did SFIV right, and I don’t know how anyone can argue with the success that title and the xpacs have achieved. Lots of fans were more than happy to pay for the “patches” (Super and Arcade versions), which included new characters and gameplay/balance adjustments.

Also (I looked this up because I was curious given the discussion):

Capcom revealed its earnings for fiscal year 2011, which ended on March 31… Net sales increased 46.2% to $1.2 billion… Net income increased to $95 million, up a whopping 257.6% from the prior year. The company says this marks record net sales, operating income, ordinary income, and net income.

I guess Capcom is doing something right, because they’re making more money than ever before, years after the Platinum Games people left - or did Capcom fire them when they shut down their studio?

I don’t think you understand the point Sin and I tried to make: yes, we know SF makes money. That’s because their audience is stupid enough to not realize they are being thoroughly scammed and being made to pay for basic functionality at insane markups. Nobody is doubting that Capcom can make money, just that they can’t make anything even remotely new and make fortunes by scamming their gullible fans while not even trying to produce anything beyond what they’ve been churning out for decades. They know how to make Street Fighter because they’ve been making that game for most of their audience’s lifetimes and reselling it to them over and over.

You just said it yourself, you play nothing by Capcom but SF, so the wasted potential and staff that they’ve scorned by ignoring every other IP flies right over your head. The complaint that Capcom does nothing but SF is not going to matter much to you if you care nothing for any games besides SF. Every other franchise that isn’t as easy to repackage with no effort has gotten the shaft.

Did you like Marvel Vs Capcom 3? I hope you or anybody who did enjoys paying 40 bucks for Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3. Yes, it’s been less than ten months since the game came out and they’re already selling you a character pack disguised as a game for full price. And you’ll buy it, because others will buy it and if you don’t you’ll get locked out of competitive play. And while you play that, they’ll prepare the same stunt with a Super Street Fighter 4 Deluxe Hyper Blowjob Edition Remastered HD and milk you dry for the next decade.

I understand you think anyone who enjoys SSF IV is gullible and being scammed; I get your point. And I respectfully disagree with your opinion. I feel Capcom did an amazing job with the transition to HD and online play, and I back my opinion with sales figures and that the fighting game community is thriving because of the franchise.

What next gen fighters do you currently play, and which do you recommend?

No, I never liked the series because I didn’t like the gameplay - characters flying all over the place, specials taking up 75% of the screen, etc. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, it’s just not a style I enjoy.

Except for the part where Capcom didn’t even do it. It was DIMPS.

Here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=411847

4G: What was the most recent internally-produced hit?

Kenji Inafune: That’d be Biohazard 5, two years ago. That also took 150 people. This year, it’s mostly external. Street Fighter IV was external. Monster Hunter Diary: Poka-Poka Island Village, which sold half a million, was external. Dead Rising is also external.

Incidentally, you know about the whole thing with Capcom making huge profits? Consider Dead Rising and Lost Planet. Both sold over two million units, excellent games, great successes.

Capcom wanted to scrap them.

Inafune (seeing a trend here?) continued working on them without permision, hoping that once he spent enough money on them, Capcom would just throw their hands up and go “Bah! Whatever, finish them!”. That’s exactly what happened and both games were huge hits. Inafune had to practically shove success down Capcom’s throat at the risk of his career. They then took him off the team for Lost Planet 2 and that ended up being a shitpile, while he stayed in Dead Rising 2 and that one went over 2 million units too.

Read that interview I linked to up there if you’re curious. It’s pretty enlightening to see just how hard it is to be creative under Capcom, even if your name is attached to one of the most emblematic franchises ever.

I didn’t realize they outsourced development of SFIV and most of their other titles. You have to wonder how much of a creative role Capcom played designing the game, making changes, etc. At the end of the day it’s still Capcom’s money at work under Capcom’s direction, and Capcom is ultimately responsible. Game development is more of a commodity than I realized.

Very interesting article. I got through most of it but have to run - thanks for sharing the link!

There is actually a petition to localise 3 wii rpgs (at least 2/3 are being localised now). Weird that the fans should be the ones to demand them, but I guess N is resting on its high hardware sales while preparing the wiiU or whatever they call it.

Holy crap, has Capcom been taking lessons from Sony at doing damage control? Capcom Europe now claims that “the fans weren’t interested enough” in the MML3 project. Their devroom alone had 70,000 members, and that was just the fraction that contributed content to the project, not counting every other gamer that wasn’t in the devroom but had been expecting the game for ten years. What the fuck were they expecting, for the fans to just make the whole game themselves? Not every customer is an obsessive fanboy tracking their progress every single day.

This thread title is wrong. It’s not “FUCK EVERYTHING.” It’s “FUCK ENGLAND.” I would appreciate if you would get it correct. We are still in the Holy Month, after all.

Thank you. A couple extra characters and balance tweeks do not require a full priced game. They require a patch. I don’t bash Capcom for making SFIV. I bash it for their doing the same thing as they did with all their other franchises, which is to go guitar hero on anything that comes close to making a profit.

Unfortunately, this hasn’t been the case at all. They’ve sited lack of interest out here in the US as well. But its far more likely that they’re just looking for excuses.

If this thread should be retitled, it should be retitled as “FUCK CRAPCOM”.

There is also a rumor that capcom is banning anything Megaman related at their booth in comicon although we are still without an actual confirmation of this happening it started here http://randomredux.tumblr.com/post/7887277989/apparently-capcom-is-kicking-out-anyone-who