Final Fantasy XIII should be with a black mage

an ORIGINAL black mage, in a quest to save the world from annother black mage… or something else but with a black mage as the main character:ulty:

I think they should step away with the generic “roles” in the past. The stunning hot swordsman, the creepy mysterious man or woman (think Vincent, or Kanon from Wild Arms 2), the helpless white mage, the kick ass always cool black mage, da da da. Hopefully 13 comes up with something new, and fresh. Too many characters and roles are being repeated.

Undoubtedly- it pains me to say it, but at the moment, in character terms, FFXII just looks like FFX after some very minor plastic surgery and a shopping spree :thud: let’s have a re-think of attitudes, guys! :mwahaha: <- someone like him as the hero, for example. That’d make things a HELL of a lot more interesting :wink:

I think he meant FF13…or maybe it was a typo and I ranted for nothing ;_;

Yeah, I noticed- I’m just indicting FFXII and hoping that FFXIII will be different :get it?:

No, way. They’ll make FFXIII with a hybrid Human/Lion character with XIII etched on his side :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Evangelion
I think they should step away with the generic “roles” in the past. The stunning hot swordsman, the creepy mysterious man or woman (think Vincent, or Kanon from Wild Arms 2), the helpless white mage, the kick ass always cool black mage, da da da. Hopefully 13 comes up with something new, and fresh. Too many characters and roles are being repeated.

That doesn’t sound difficult to do. That doesn’t sound difficult, even by keeping the traditional FF job classes intact.

Even in the existing FFs, the job classes mattered mostly during battle.

I actually thought FF9 had a great variety of new character roles compared to the older ones. Vivi was a black mage, but hardly cool or mysterious. Steiner was a noble knight, but more of a bumbler than anyone to take seriously. Zidane was a heroic guy, but also had a roguish streak. And Quina was just… Quina. 8p Part of why I liked FF9 so much was the refreshing characterization.

Originally posted by Cidolfas
I actually thought FF9 had a great variety of new character roles compared to the older ones. Vivi was a black mage, but hardly cool or mysterious. Steiner was a noble knight, but more of a bumbler than anyone to take seriously. Zidane was a heroic guy, but also had a roguish streak. And Quina was just… Quina. 8p Part of why I liked FF9 so much was the refreshing characterization.

I wholly agree about Vivi and Steiner! With these two, the stereotypical sorcerer and noble knight roles were actually refreshingly original. Vivi is just a child, so awkward and unsure of himself, fearing his own mortality. He’s beloved for his adorable black magey-looks. He certainly doesn’t act anything like any other “offensive sorcerer” type I’ve ever seen… And Steiner, instead of being the pure and noble knight, is overly selfless and obessed about his duties to the royalty.

Even though there’s stereotypical roles that characters get placed in, it’s very possible to break the mold. Kinda what like Jessica from the Lunar Series is. She’s a shining example of breaking the mold.

She’s a white mage, obviously. Her skills are all healing. She’s a priestess of Althena. She’s dressed just like a white mage, too.

But her personality is anything but like one! She attacks with claw weapons, downright snarls at some irritating people (expressed strongly due to her pointy teeth), and plays angelic in front of her father to hide her aggressive streak. She’s no Rosa or Garnet!

It would be cool to see a Black Mage main character that had a unique personality and/or weapon!

I do agree. but at least ashe from XII seems a bit different (to the best of my knowledge, she wields a sword. At least i saw some cooncept art of her with one)

I wish FF games let you CUSTOMIZE your character.

mmhh…
without Hironobu Sakaguchi…without Yasunori Mitsuda…and without a guy who just left Square-Enix (I think he’s an important scenarii-designer but I forgot his name)…
here comes the beginning of the dawn for FF… … …
(rrahh FFVI sure is far away now…:too bad; )

Who said that Sakaguchi wouldn’t be there? And Mitsuda has never done anything at all for the FF series (mainly Chrono and Xeno). And the dawn of the FF series was in 1980. 8p

It’s not an FF-game, but if you want new roles try out Summoner II (can be worth playing the first game since it’s almost a direct sequel with very little explanations - despite the godawful character graphics and the loading times… GOD the loading tiiimes!). The leading char, Maya, is a warrior queen and healer… only that she uses Necromancy - just like white magic. The other gal in the group is a blue skinned and scantily clad assassin/ocean creature-person-thingy who moves like an insect. Oh yeah, and there’s one more girl, a reploid thing. And her boyfriend looks like a purple toad…

Originally posted by Cidolfas
And the dawn of the FF series was in 1980. 8p

1987 to be exact >.>

did a 16 page report on squaresoft’s history

aww sorry sorry dunno where I found that thingy about Sakaguchi…
I might have say this because FFXII is mainly under Matsuno’s influence from FFT-VG , but well, you’re right Sakaguchi isn’t out.

But still, Amano is the one who’s not really there… That’s strange, when he fully worked on a FF, like FFVI, that made the (probably) most enjoyed FF of all time, but after that Square didn’t put him on chara-design anymore… weird.

err… and didn’t Mitsuda did some of FFV-VI-Anthology’s musics?

No, Mitsuda did Chrono Trigger, which was included in FF Chronicles, but he never did any actual FF games.

Amano was the character designer for FF9, by the way. But his style is more suited to the less realistic 16-bit universe, in any case; FF9 didn’t look anywhere near as “real” as Squaresoft wanted (it was mainly made as a farewell nod to the long-time series fans). He’s still the image illustrator for FF7 and on.

oi Cid you’re right, Mitsuda was just “sound engineer” for FFV and FFanthology.
And Amano, well… now he just draw those fancy logos… He does some artworks, but they’re just his interpretation of the games, not the actual game looks.

And the scenarii-designer who left SE is Nojima. He did FFVII, VIII, X, X-2 and K Hearts.

you know what i miss is some of the less heard of jobs :blue mage. red mage,holy knight aka paladin you know cecil ff4
dark knight. I think the summoners have been over played.
final fantasy needs to work on their recent crappyness when it comes to character development. Alot of characters just aren’t as interesting as they used yo be ya know? And no quistis and quina were not blue mages they just sucked

I thought Final Fantasy X did an excellent job of developing their characters - far better than some of the other games in the series, that’s for sure.