FFX-2 First Impressions

Well I did say almost all games have a linear storyline so there’s no need to point out exceptions, I know they exist, but they’re the exception, not the rule.

Maybe I’m just tired, but I can’t figure out what’s rotten about these two reviews on rotten tomato:

“A heady cocktail of arenaline, funkiness and fun. Those lovely folk at Square have moved the goalposts - again.”

How is moving the goalposts bad?

“In the end, FFX-2 is exactly as envisioned: a cheaply made, cost-effective sequel to FFX that reuses the graphics, characters, enemies, and areas to create a mostly new gameplay experience.”

In what why does that make it bad? Some of the best games in history have been made with almost no budget, and familiarity with characters and monsters isn’t necesarally a bad thing.

I had to force myself to watch the opening…

Otherwise, I like it.

Originally posted by Cybercompost
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/g/FinalFantasyX2-709737/

So? There were 6 reviews, and one of the people couldn’t even spell. <.<

I’m putting it on my wish list for x-mas.

Originally posted by Crotanks
[b]I had to force myself to watch the opening…

Otherwise, I like it. [/b]

Was it because of Yuna’s singing?

Originally posted by Yar Kramer

Hell yes. You’ll see.

Originally posted by Yar Kramer

One thing i still cannot stand about the game is the Charlies Angels motif.

The opening sequence SCREAMS charlies angels from poses to camera close up of broadly grinning women.

After every battle on the exp/gil screen, in the lower left corner there is a logo that looks just like the charlies angels one:

It gets annoying after awhile heh.

I was a little turned off by the intro…until I learned that it wasn’t really Yuna. And BTW, I went to Zanarkand right after Besaid, but bI really REALLY don’t want to restart without a REAALY good reason…I’ve done a bit of leveling. BHut this is one of those games with enough replay value to make them worth going through again.

All in all, this game rawks. :cool:

In response to your spoiler, You missed (So far):

4 Garment Grids, 25 Sphere break coins, 3 or 4 al bhed primers

And im only on the 4th item on the map. Still like 8 places to go =)

Originally posted by Jakanden
[b]In response to your spoiler, You missed (So far):

4 Garment Grids, 25 Sphere break coins, 3 or 4 al bhed primers

And im only on the 4th item on the map. Still like 8 places to go =) [/b]

Also 2 Dresspheres. Gun Mage and Paine’s Special Dressphere. Gun mage can be found on the moonflow by talking to a red penguin thing. Paine’s Special Dressphere can be found in Macalania Forest, you know the place where you fought the Sphere Monster in FFX? Trommel Guado is there, talk to him 4 times and he will give it to you.

YEESH! Yes, I belive that all that merits a restart. Thanks, guys. Wait a second…why am I still talking in spoilers?

[spoiler] Because the Humor demands it!

Mr. Kramer, stop this at once. You’re getting silly.

Ooh, that reminds me: Will Smith was originally one of the people who tried out for Neo. I can just imagine what that scene in Reloaded would’ve been like:

AGENT SMITH: That’s the difference between you and me, Mr. Anderson: I’ve been expecting you.
NEO: No, the difference between you and me, is that I make this look good. [adjusts his Ray-Bans]

We’re supposed to be talking about Final Fantasy X2 here![/spoiler]

The worst part of the will smith/matrix thing is that he turned it down to do WILD WILD WEST!

Ugh - talk about a bad choice…

Hey, I LIKED Wild Wild West.

And let’s not drift any further off-topic, please. ^_^;

If y’all don’t mind my asking, is there any way to pinpoint the locations of said items, or am I just in for a metric assload of random searching?

I’m cool either way. :hahaha;

Welp as you so eloquently said, you are “just in for a metric assload of random searching?”

Some of the items you will get just by completing the missions in areas such as Luca. Others you will have to find by searching long and hard =)

Or you could just check one of the many walkthroughs posted in the net (google for them) and check out the where-are-the-dresspheres sections.
(You could also buy the guide, like I just did, but some pleople complain of these things being too spoiler-full. Me, I don’t care.)

Speaking of the Guide- it’s Hea-vy, Dude! No, really, it’s HEAVY! Like, twice as thick as the usual game guide. I guess that means there is a LOT more stuff to FFX2 than I gave it credit for!

So far, I’ve only read the Dress (Job) Section, so here are my comments on that:

I don’t care much for the Sphere Grid for Dresspheres… but I’ll wait until I actually PLAY the game to see if it’s fun or not.

Why was the Blue Mage renamed Gun Mage? OK, so they can use guns, but there’s ALREADY another Job in the game that especializes in guns. Kinda redundant, no?

Whee! The Alchemist is back! One of my favorite classes from FF5!

On the other hand, I could do without the Berserkers.

Is it me, or does Paine look like Elvis in her Songstress Dress?

FINALLY, an Official Gambler class! (Lady Luck.)

The Trainer class doesn’t impress me… the pets do all the work!

The Mascot costumes are AWFUL!

More comments as I read more.

Originally posted by Wilfredo Martinez
[b]

Whee! The Alchemist is back! One of my favorite classes from FF5!

[/b]

Am I missing something? For me, the chemist seemed like a fairly useless job class in FF5. I only levelled it up so that I could have all jobs mastered (although Lenna did look cute in the chemist outfit).

Christ I wish Square would hurry up and release this over here…

And I still thnk Rikku looks like Christina Aguilera.

One thing that bugs me about the game though is that the lip syncing is TERRIBLE. It’s like watchign a Godzilla movie. WTF happened? FF10 was great, but this is terrible. This is the worst I’ve seen in any game. I’d rather they not move their lips at all. The voices are also different actors so it is a bit off. Aside from that, the game is pretty good. The encounter rate is a bit high, but I’ll live. The power-up system is nice. I thought that every power-up system here on out would dissappoint me after the sphere grid being so good, but this good. It seems a bit limited in terms of abilities, but nothing too big and I could be very wrong. They added new areas to the existing ones very well. It seems like they were there all the time and not add-ons to the level. Hearing that the game has multiple endigns is great, it’ll give me reasons to play through it multiple times different ways. I’m not too big of a fan of the mission based gameplay right now though. The way that they continued it is “eh”. It isn’t bad, but I don’t like some elements of it, like the sphere hunter bit, Yuna not remembering Rikku’s brother from the first game, etc. It’s just little things like that.

Damnit, how the fuck do you do that?

Do what?