FFX-2 First Impressions

Just got FFX-2 today and I must say it is quite different from any previous Final Fantasy (Although we all knew that).

Still cant get over high lightning fast the battles are. The dress sphere system allows for some major customization but I feel it will get to that point where you are thinking “Where do i go from here”.

Get the same feeling with the non-linear story. After the first few things, it just kinda plops you in the middle of the world going “Go where you want”.

All in all it seems like it will be a fun game =)

I plan on renting it as soon as possible with money from my (hopefully) new job :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Jakanden

Get the same feeling with the non-linear story. After the first few things, it just kinda plops you in the middle of the world going “Go where you want”.

Once apon a time, non-linear stories were pretty much the norm for RPGs. I’m not exactly sure when or why a lot of RPGs went over to using linear stories, but I’ve never been completely convinced that doing so was a good thing.

Originally posted by Steve
I plan on renting it as soon as possible

Originally posted by Ivan
Once apon a time, non-linear stories were pretty much the norm for RPGs. I’m not exactly sure when or why a lot of RPGs went over to using linear stories, but I’ve never been completely convinced that doing so was a good thing.

I know - I have been playing RPG’s since PC days with Ultima V and Eye of the Beholder back in late 80’s.

Over time though, I have learned to like the games that have somewhat of a path to follow (Final Fantasy IV is my favorite of all time and that featured a linear storyline).

I feel the same way Jak, this game is gonna be fun :smiley:

Edit: Jak, wanna race to see who beats the game first?

:wink:

Almost all games have a linear storyline, companies aren’t going to hire writers to come up with 17 different plot lines for a game, even the acclaimed non-linear Morrowind had a linear main plot (you just didn’t have to follow it). As far as I’m concerned the whole notion of non linear games is a myth, sure you can pick the order for a few quests and you might not have to do them all, but when it comes to major story points they have to happen in a specific order. After all, it wouldn’t make much sense if you rescued the princess before she was kidnapped (unless you “rescued” her from the castle).

Still, I’d like to hear more about FFX-2, I didn’t like FFX all that much, but from what I heard they took out virtually everything I hated (sphere grid, turn based system, aeons, sphere grid) and brought back the good old stuff (levels, classes, the hardcore active battle system, levels). Could you give us a little more info on it?

Originally posted by Dark Sand
[b]Almost all games have a linear storyline, companies aren’t going to hire writers to come up with 17 different plot lines for a game, even the acclaimed non-linear Morrowind had a linear main plot (you just didn’t have to follow it). As far as I’m concerned the whole notion of non linear games is a myth, sure you can pick the order for a few quests and you might not have to do them all, but when it comes to major story points they have to happen in a specific order. After all, it wouldn’t make much sense if you rescued the princess before she was kidnapped (unless you “rescued” her from the castle).

Still, I’d like to hear more about FFX-2, I didn’t like FFX all that much, but from what I heard they took out virtually everything I hated (sphere grid, turn based system, aeons, sphere grid) and brought back the good old stuff (levels, classes, the hardcore active battle system, levels). Could you give us a little more info on it? [/b]

I personally loved FF-X and that was the entire reason i bought a PS2 heh. As far as FFX-2, upon playing it all night it has started to grow on me as I hoped it would.

The ATB system is back but its much more hardcore than any use before it. Battles are so blazingly fast its insane. Most minor battles are over in litterally 5-10 seconds. The ones that happen to take a bit longer can be confusing. It is not uncommon to have 4 people attacking at EXACTLY the same time (Monsters and PC’s) so it makes it difficult to see who is doing what.

I don’t know if Aeons are gone, but I am assuming they are due to the ending of FFX. During the Dress Sphere tutorial they mentioned “Special Spheres” that when used take the place of an entire party (similar to how Aeons did). For instance when Yuna (Who was pictured) puts on a special dress sphere she is the only one in the party, but she has 3 attacks to make up for it.

Leveling is done in the classic way, however AP points are accumulated as soon as a mob is killed (As opposed to at the end of battle), so if you are fighting 4 mobs, and you gain a skill after killing the first one, you can use that skill in that same battle on your next turn. You cannot see how much AP you gain however, just how much you need to get your next ability.

There is a dress sphere grid (Called a Garment Grid). This works by you placing your Dress Spheres on the grid in a pattern. You can only change dresses if the dress you want to change into is touching the dress you are wearing on the grid. Otherwise you have to travel along the grid to get into the dress you want. It is kind of a pain, but it does make you think tactically as far as choosing which Grid to equip and which/where spheres to load on it.

Hope that is enough info for ya =)

I’m a bit too busy shuddering to think of the American actress who played Yuna, portraying her as a singer. It’s just … yeesh.

Almost all games have a linear storyline, companies aren’t going to hire writers to come up with 17 different plot lines for a game, even the acclaimed non-linear Morrowind had a linear main plot (you just didn’t have to follow it). As far as I’m concerned the whole notion of non linear games is a myth, sure you can pick the order for a few quests and you might not have to do them all, but when it comes to major story points they have to happen in a specific order. After all, it wouldn’t make much sense if you rescued the princess before she was kidnapped (unless you “rescued” her from the castle).

It is not true to say that almost all games have a linear storyline. The reason that someone could make the mistake of thinking so is that games with non-linear stories do not succeed in doing so by having a large number of plotlines, but rather by having an absence of them. Now granted, there will usually be story events throughout the game, as you pointed out, that have constraints on when they occur. But outside of those, the game philosophy of many non-linear games is different than for many linear games. I would describe it as problem-solving with a backstory.

is getting it for X-mas

I haven’t bought it yet - accursed bills, piling up on me when least needed- but I will, most likely next week (and I have a copy reserved, so I know I will get it). Say, Jakanden, is there a Guide available for it already? I assume so, if so, I’ll buy it first (I love reading those.) Oh, and I saw the “huge” dresses (Mecha?) that you’re refererring to in a FFX2 website. They remind me of stilts, for some reason… I also saw some figures of what are supposed to be Aeons from X2 in the latest Previews Catalog, but they could be Dark Aeons from FFX International (the catalog doesn’t always get its facts right.)

Oh, and Jak? Please get rid of that thing with the sign in your sig. It’s CREEPY! :eek:

well I have not got to play the american version yet, but I did get to try it out while I was in japan during the summer. I really liked the game play, and the costume system, even though I was not able to understand what they were saying ^^;

Originally posted by Wilfredo Martinez
[b]I haven’t bought it yet - accursed bills, piling up on me when least needed- but I will, most likely next week (and I have a copy reserved, so I know I will get it). Say, Jakanden, is there a Guide available for it already? I assume so, if so, I’ll buy it first (I love reading those.) Oh, and I saw the “huge” dresses (Mecha?) that you’re refererring to in a FFX2 website. They remind me of stilts, for some reason… I also saw some figures of what are supposed to be Aeons from X2 in the latest Previews Catalog, but they could be Dark Aeons from FFX International (the catalog doesn’t always get its facts right.)

Oh, and Jak? Please get rid of that thing with the sign in your sig. It’s CREEPY! :eek: [/b]

Yes the guide came out two days before the game. I got it but will not be using it until second time playing through.

I can tell you one thing though. It is not really a spoiler but I will put it in spoiler just so i dont get accused of anything =)

Do not go to zanarkand right after besaid - if you do you end chapter 1 immedatley and miss alot. I had to reload my game and start over cause my last save was too recent.

Well, I WILL get the guide first. (Didn’t you know? I’m IMMUNE to Spoilers!:victoly: ) No really, I’m perfectly able to enjoy a game even if I know everything that’s gonna happen in it… must be because to me, reading and playing are two very distinct experiences, I put my mind in different “modes” when I do. Thanks for the tip, anyway… and for getting rid of- whatever that was. Brrr.

Heh if you talking about the IP Address sig - it changes everytime you reload =)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/g/FinalFantasyX2-709737/

As far as I’m concerned the whole notion of non linear games is a myth, sure you can pick the order for a few quests and you might not have to do them all, but when it comes to major story points they have to happen in a specific order.

Tactics Ogre PSX/SNES.

Originally posted by Cybercompost
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/g/FinalFantasyX2-709737/

Better one =)

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/562386.asp

This game is DIFFERENT. Different doesn’t necessiraly mean bad. In fact, I love this game. No, not because Yuna is wearing short shorts and Rikku is wearing skimpy clothes, but the game is fun!