FFVI Advance: February 5th - anyone excited?

I haven’t heard much about a new SEKRIT dungeon, which would break the FF remake trend were it absent. It would be nice to see one, though I’m generally not a fan of randomized dungeons. They pulled it off fairly well with FF4 (haven’t reached 5’s yet), so I don’t see why they wouldn’t do the same here.

There is one, I hope it’s not randomized maps, those are the worse (Parasite Eve EX game anyone?) I wish it was more of a side-questy type thing, like a mission pack they have for MMORPG’s.
Hmm, that gives me an idea for the corrupted wish thread.

Originally Posted by Magma
What about the suicide? Anyone care to fill me in?

If you fail to save Cid at the start of the World of Ruin you were treated to a scene where Celes believing that she is the only person left in the world tries to commit suicide by dramatically jumping off a cliff and into the sea below. She surives this and finds a seagull with Locke’s bandana tied to its wing. You will also find a letter about a raft and the game picks up from there reguardless of the outcome of Cid’s fate.

Or will it?

See, the problem with that is, you may have saved the game several times prior to his death, and may have accidentally gone outside, saved, and come back to find that he’s dead. If you mean “her suicide actually succeeds”, and this is your only save file, you have no choice except to play the entire game all over again from the beginning. I know SE has done certain things of, ah, questionable judgement, but they’re not THAT stupid.

I don’t think I have ever saved Cid. Hey Gramps, I’m a city girl at heart.

IIRC, saving Cid doesn’t affect anything except which version of the scene you’ll see.
No reward if you save him.

So what would the difference be in FF6 Advance? I spent hours trying to save Cid, but he wouldn’t get healthy, and I saw the suicide scene. I really think they should make that unoptional.

“Unoptional” how? What exactly do you mean/think should happen?

I think the scenario where Cid dies should happen no matter what you do. The suicide scene was one of my favorite moments of the game.

so…that people could spend hours of gametime catching fish just so he’ll…die? Wow that sounds…fun.

Hold on, I apologize, let me make myself clear. It wasn’t fun saving Cid in the first place. Maybe just catch one or two fish, only to fail. What I’m saying is that they really shouldn’t make the suicide scene something the game can possibly skip, because it’s so moving.

Another possibility is having Celes try and commit suicide whether or not Cid lives. Although, they’d have to reveal her motivation for doing so.

Moving scene or not, if you make it mandetory there isn’t really a point to the whole fishing thing anyway. It’s actually a rather nice way of adding flavor to a linear game, giving the option to work hard to save him or having him die from carelessness. Some people might like to imagine Celes as a more hopeful and hardworking type instead of the type who would commit suicide. While you may like the poignant suicide scene, other people may not like it that much, other might think it’s even out of character. In any event it’s probably a smart move to make a scene dealing with suicide (surely there are people who’ll play the game that might’ve been affected by a family suicide and not take a scene like that lightly or tastefully) optional.

Hoenstly, the first time I played FFVI, I wasn;t able to save Cid, obviously. It took me the better part of half an hour until he finally died. And I really think that the work I had put into it, trying tos ave Cid, and then seeing him die anyway made for a more powerful impact. I mean, I got upset and angry a tthe game for making me do that, but I wanted Cid to live. And when he didn;t, I understood Celes’ frustration and sadness.

Of course, I’m weird, and the majority of people won;t see the game the same way as I do, so… yeah.

Well, when you put it that way the frustration and sadness is completely understandable. :wink: The first time I played I saved Cid through some measure of luck (listen, when the yummy fish just won’t swim your way you’ve got to catch SOMETHING), but the second time I didn’t through some measure of unluckiness. I’d need to play the game again to get a feel for which scenario I prefer, but this topic got me thinking… when Cid ends up living, why in the world does it take him so long to tell you about the damn raft? Is he holding out so that you’ll help him a little more? Does he think Celes is so fickle that she would actually leave a sick man to die like that? Anyway.

I think he was sneaking out of bed to build the raft and surprise her with it, if I recall he was never actually in bed whenever you returned, and always walked to it right as Celes entered the house. I dunno, that’s just the way I saw it anyway, plus it would explain why he would get sicker when you couldn’t find a fish, since he was exerting energy to build a raft while he was ill.

Nintendo has a nice flash FFVI Advance site up, which mentions the new Espers and has bestiary samples:

http://ffvi.nintendo.com/launch/

The remakes have been called the “FF Finest” series in Japan, and SE said somewhere that VI Advance is the last of the series.

Not to beat a dead horse, but that may mean no FF7 remake.

Good.

So … FFF?

I thought this meant that there would be no more GBA remakes? I guess we’ll see.

That’s what I would figure. I mean, the Enix factor will keep them coming out. Whether we’ll see a remix of DQ6 or FF7 first is the real question.