FF7 fic: Jenova's Disciple

This is only my second fic so please take that into account when criticising. Thanks.
Prologue
After the defeat of Meteor by the Lifestream, the Planet began to settle down. Gradually the Lifestream returned to underneath the crust. However, the destruction of Midgar could not disapear so easily. Thousands had stayed there, believing first that Shrinra would protect them. However, even once it became clear that this wasn’t going to happen only a few hundred left. Most realized that if Meteor hit, it wouldn’t matter where they were. Hundreds of thousands of people died in the battle between Meteor and Holy. Only a small percentage of the of Midgar survived it’s destruction as the upper plates collapsed under the pressure. Only hundreds made it out alive. Meteor had carried some deadly monsters which were now loose in Midgar and the surrounding countryside. It was rumoured that they moved in bigger packs then other monsters, as well.

That was when the first of the monster hunters* appeared. They were mercenaries who went from town to town that had problems with monsters especially the new ones brought by Meteor. They were glad for the protection now that Shinra was destroyed. Their only badge was a grey cloak they all wore. It also carried insignia, presumably of rank. They hunters wore it so that they would be easily recognised. They didn’t charge more than could be easily afforded. The best of them was known simply as Caedo. He went only after the most deadly monsters, occasionly venturing into the now infested Midgar. He was also the cheapest, even though he only ever went after the new monsters.

With the appearance of these hunters, the new “Heroes of the Planet” could retire wherever they wanted to go. Barret went to Kalm with Tifa and got Marlene, then returned to help with the rebuilding of Coral while Tifa opened up a new bar in Kalm. Elmyra surprised them by deciding to go with Barret to help with Marlene.

Cid returned to Rocket Town, where he immediately began two new projects: a new airship and a new rocket. He had salvaged as much as he could of the Highwind but as an airship, it was beyond repair. Although he had said he was content once he was in space, he couldn’t help but wonder what it would be like to orbit the planet, to look down and see the clouds spread out in patterns. The brief glimpse he had had from space haunted his dreams and drove him on. Shera helped him out with the rocket, helping to coordinate the teams as well as overseeing some of them, including the team in charge of safety.

Red went home to guard Cosmo Canyon. While there he continued to study the Cetra and his own heritage in the vaults. He discovered that there were links between the species, although they were vague at best. He also noticed some discrepancies there from what he had believed about the Cetra. They were sometimes metioned in the same sentence as the Ancients if they were separate but he only saw one mention of this, in a record about the battle against Jenova.

Reeve, who had escaped the detruction of Midgar by going to Kalm to try and be there for Marlene, who he really had taken a liking to, was put in charge of finding a new power source for the world now that Mako was gone. As well as this, it was decided that he would be made govener of the continent upon which Midgar had flurished by a committee made up of the elders of the towns there. Coral’s continent decided to remain a group of separate city states while Wutai was just Wutai. He immediately returned to the use of coal, which greatly helped out Coral’s economony by providing both jobs in the mines and money for the coal. The Turks were now his bodyguards since no-one else would hire them and their more illegal activities were curtailed.

Yuffie went back to Wutai with most of the materia. She quickly became bored so Godo had her ninja training intensified.

And as for Cloud and Vincent…well they just disappeared. Of course, this had been expected of Vincent and they suspected he gone either to the Shinra mansion or to Lucrecia’s cave. It was decided it was for the best to leave him be for the time being. But Cloud simply vanished. Tifa had checked out the City of the Ancients, just in case, but he wasn’t there, or at Nibelhiem. She had called up the others to see if they knew where he was and was answered each time in the negative. It was a year after Meteor that she first began to get really worried because it was then that the more viscious began to appear more frequently. She was sure he could defeat one or two on his own but what if a whole pack came at him… And that’s where the story begins.

*I’m not sure about the name yet, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here’s some C&C. My comments are in the italics. Feel free to disregard anything I say if you disagree with it. It’s your story, afterall. If you disagree with something I say, debate with me about it! I love discussion!

Prolouge

You have ‘Prologue’ spelled wrong. It’s probably just a typo, but you should fix it, as you don’t want the first thing your reader sees to be an error.

After the defeat of Meteor by the lifestream, the Planet began to settle down.

I’d capitalize ‘Lifestream’, because it looks a little awkward with just ‘Meteor’ and ‘Planet’ capitalized. But that’s just to make it more unified. I don’t believe it’s necessary.

Gradually the lifestream returned to underneath the crust. However the destruction of Midgar could not dissapear.

Disappear, not dissapear. Maybe you want to try “…the destruction of Midgar could not disappear so easily”? It would lead better into your description of the havoc in the aftermath.

Thousands had stayed there, believing first that Shrinra would protect them.

Take out the ‘first’ when saying why the people stayed there. ‘First’ indicates there’s going to be many more reasons following.

Once it became clear that this wasn’t going to happen only a few hundred left, most realizing that if Meteor hit, it wouldn’t matter where they were.

[i]Add a ‘However,’ at the beginning of this sentence to tie it better to the previous one. Add a comma after ‘happen’, and change the comma after ‘left’ to a period. Add ‘people’ after ‘Most’, and change ‘realizing’ to ‘realized’ to keep the tense constant. Take out the comma after ‘hit’. The new sentences should look like this:

However, once it became clear that this wasn’t going to happen, only a few hundred left. Most people realized that if Meteor hit it wouldn’t matter where they were.[/i]

Hundreds of thousands of people died in the battle between Meteor and Holy. Only a few thousand people survived it’s destruction as the upper plates collapsed under the pressure.

You use ‘thousand’ a couple of times there, so I’d suggest changing the second sentence to “Only a small percentage survived…”, as that would still include thousands based on your previous figure. “It’s” stands for ‘it is’, so what you’d want there is ‘its’. Personally, I’d change the word entirely to ‘the’, but that’s just my opinion.

Only hundreds survived.

But you just said thousands survived… Perhaps you meant only hundreds survived until they were rescued?

Meteor had carried some deadly monsters on board which were now loose in Midgar and the surrounding countryside.

Neat idea! It will certainly add some challenges later in the story for the heroes! Kinda reminds me of the Lunar Cry from FF8, but still really cool! I’d take out the ‘on board’ as it doesn’t really fit with the tone of the rest of the narration. To keep the pacing the same, you could say “Meteor had carried with it some deadly monsters which…”

That was when the first of the monster hunters (I’m not sure about the name yet, any suggestions would be appreciated) appeared.

Take out the author’s note, and insert it at the end. It disrupts the flow of your story, and that’s the last thing you’d want! If you really want people to know there’s something up add an asterisk (*) at the end of the title and next to your note at the bottom to let readers know in advance they’re connected.

They were mercenaries who went around the towns that had problems with monsters now that Shinra was gone, especially the new ones brought by Meteor.

[i]This sentence is really awkward. I can’t really pinpoint any one thing, except that it’s really wordy. Try something like this:

They were mercenaries who wandered from town to town, killing off the new monsters. Towns that had previously been under the protection of Shinra were grateful for their help after the company’s collapse.

Not necessarily what you’re looking for, but you should try and separate the ideas of introducing the group, and them being the replacement for Shinra (in this duty anyways).[/i]

Their only badge was a grey cloak they all wore.

Why a cloak? The only people we see wearing cloaks in the game are Vincent and the Clones, and it makes both of them stand out. It’s not a common article in the game’s time period, apparently. I’m not saying not to use it, just give the reader some explanation why. Readers like to get extra information! Feed us! :booster:

They didn’t charge more than could be easily afforded. The best of them was known simply as Caedo. He went only after the most deadly monsters, occasionly venturing into the now infested Midgar. He was also the cheapest, but he only ever went after the new monsters.

[i]I admit I’m a bit skeptical about this section. This would be a dangerous and highly valued job. Why would they be letting their services go so cheap? They’d need the money to keep up with the new and better equipment, as well as needing the usual things people get a job for.

You sort of teased us with Caedo there, so I assume we’ll learn more about him later. But connected to my last point: why would the mercenary with the most dangerous job be the cheapest? It would make more sense if he was the most expensive! He might do some on his own for the challenge, but if someone’s hiring him, I’d expect him to charge a fairly hefty price. Unless this is a plot point.[/i]

With the appearance of these, the new “Heroes of the Planet” could retire into where they wanted to go.

[i]You should have some sort of identifier after ‘these’, whether it’s ‘hunters’ or ‘mercenaries’, or something else. Take out 'into’and change ‘where’ to ‘wherever’.

I like the title for Avalanche![/i]

Barret went to Kalm with Tifa to get Marlene, then returned to help with the rebuilding of Coral while Tifa opened up a new bar. Elmyra decided to go with Barret to help with Marlene.

Why didn’t Barret go to get Marlene immediately? Even if he left her there again to help with the clean-up, you should indicate that somehow. Did Tifa remain in Kalm, or go with him to North Coral? It isn’t quite clear. I like the idea of Elmyra going to help Barret with Marlene, but the sentence is a bit abrupt. Perhaps, “Elmyra surprised them all when she decided…”

Cid returned to Rocket Town, where he immediately began two new projects: a new airship and a new rocket. Shera helped him out with the rocket, helping to coordinate the teams. He put her in charge of safety.

[i]So the Highwind is beyond repair then? Or does he just want an extra one? You should indicate that so the reader know what’s going on.

Why has he decided to build a new rocket? He’s already made it into space. Expand on it!

Good idea to put Shera in charge of safety! She’s definitely proved she knows what she’s talking about there! There’s something I can’t pinpoint (again) with the structure in that section though… The last sentence is too abrupt, so maybe you should try to incorporate it into the previous one. And is she coordinating the teams, or overseeing safety? Or both?

Don’t be afraid to give us details! FEED US!! :booster: :booster: [/i]

Red went to guard Cosmo Canyon. He continued to study the Cetra and his own heritage.

[i]This sounds way too formal. He’s going home! How about:

Red returned home to guard Cosmo Canyon. While there, he continued his studies of the Cetra and his own heritage.[/i]

Reeve was put in charge of finding a new power source.

[i]So Reeve survived? Remember, he was in Midgar when Meteor dropped. Tell us how he lived!

Who put him in charge? Would it be more of a personal mission?[/i]

He immediately returned to the use of coal, which helped out Coral and Barret in a big way.

[i]North Coral is in no condition to immediately begin mining coal. Their equipment is probably rusty from lack of use, and the town doesn’t have the resources to begin a costly operation without some sort of sponsor. How will Reeve/Barret acquire the funds?

How does it help Barret specifically? He’s back home helping to rebuild, but unless he’s been put in charge, it wouldn’t make sense to name him. The reader will make the connection. “A big way” doesn’t fit the tone of the narration, so it might be better to say, “…which greatly helped the economy of Coral.”[/i]

The Turks were now his bodyguards and their more illegal activities were halted.

Why do the Turks agree to this? Why does he need bodyguards?

Yuffie went back to Wutai with most of the materia. She quickly became bored so Godo had her ninja training intensified.

Good for Godo! It’ll also help Yuffie out a bunch later when they come across more difficult monsters!

And as for Cloud and Vincent…well they just disapeared.

Disappearing ‘p’ in disappeared!

Of course, everyone was kind of expecting that from Vincent and they suspected he gone either to the Shinra mansion or to Lucrecia’s cave. They decided to leave him be for the time beign.

‘Expecting’ is in the wrong tense, and the tone doesn’t match the rest of the story. Try: “It had been expected that Vincent would leave, and they suspected that he had left to either…” ‘They’ in the next sentence should be replaced with ‘It was’. Typo with the last word, beign=being.

But Cloud simply vanished. Tifa had checked out the City of the Ancient, just in case, but he wasn’t there, or at Nibelhiem.

Ancients should be plural, so add an ‘s’ at the end.

She had called up the others to see if he they knew where he was and was answere each time in the negative.

‘…see if he they…’ Take out the ‘he’. ‘Answere’ need a ‘d’.

It was a year after Meteor that she first began to get really worried. And that’s where the story begins.

It took her a year to get ‘really’ worried? Did something in particular happen at the one year mark to increase her worries?

Overall, an interesting beginning, but there are a lot of structural mistakes, and a general lack of detail. Go back and fill the detail in, and you should have a much better prologue. Keep writing, because practice makes perfect!

Chapter 1

Tifa wiped the tables in the bar one last time before opening the doors. She prided herself on the cleanliness of her bar. She never let anyone get too drunk as this was not the sort of town that appreciated drunks wandering around. Most were smart enough not to try her. She had after all, help save the planet. Of course, most people wasn’t everyone. Once in a while she had to kick someone out. The regulars had become almost used to this, as it happened once every couple of weeks.

She got behind the bar and waited for the first customer to arrive. He came in at half past six, dressed in a farmers clothes. He came up to the bar and sat down.
"Usual please, Tifa,"he said.
She got a pint glass out and filled it. She handed it to him saying,“Here you are John. How’s the farm?”
“Shit. It’s been attacked by some monsters twice,twice, in the last 6 months. Before it was bad if there was one attack on a farm in a year, but from what I’ve heard I’ve been lucky.”
"Yea, I know what you mean,"she commiserated. “Have you heard anything on Bobby?”
“Not a thing. It’s like he just disappeared. His farm was completely undamaged, even the bloody animals. What the hell sort of monster does that?”
"No idea,"she answered.
After that discussion became difficult as more patrons crowded in.

It was about five hours later when the patrons began to leave. She started to tidy off the tables again. At least no-one had got sick tonight. She hated having to clean up peoples puke. She glanced up for a moment as a new customer with blond hair entered and her breath caught for a moment. Short blond hair and no sword. Not Cloud. She sighed to herself and went on cleaning. She looked up after a few minutes and frowned. The man was gone. And he hadn’t even bought a drink. It was only after the last person filed out that she found a note left on the counter. She suspected that was the blond’s purpose in coming here. She went behind the bar and picked up the note. As she read it, her face drained of all colour and she started breathing more heavily. She quickly grabbed the bar to support herself. She couldn’t believe what she had just read, it couldn’t be true. She didn’t want it to be true. Because the note said:
Your blond friend has been captured. If you want to see him alive come to the valley under the bridge to Wutai. Leave the others out of it
She walked shakily over to a chair and thought about what to do.

It’s not too bad.

This could turn into a really good fic. If you put the effort into it.

This chapter was interesting, if a bit on the short side. I kinda wonder who was strong enough to overpower Cloud, or if it’s all a ruse… I guess I’ll see as things progress!

A couple of grammatical things:

Tifa should pride herself on the ‘cleanliness’ not ‘cleaness’ of her bar.

And most were smart enough not to try her, she did, after all, help save the planet. She must be pretty strong.

These two sentences are a bit awkward. It might be a bit better to rearrange them a bit. I’d suggest taking out the ‘and’ at the beginning of the first sentence, and ending it after ‘try her’. Then you can say “After all, she did help save the planet, so she must be pretty strong.” Just a suggestion, though.

‘Once almost every fortnight’ is also a bit awkward, so try ‘once every couple of weeks’.

You separated dialogues into separate paragraphs, which was good, but you forgot to add spaces between them. It’ll make it look a bit cleaner. Also, don’t forget to put in spaces after commas.

About the note, did you mean the vally under the bridge in Wutai? I’m not quite sure what this is supposed to be saying…

Nice hint about future developments with Tifa talking to her customer. Another thing for me to wonder about as the story continues!

Great job with this section! I look forward to the next part! You might want to try compiling things into larger chapters as you write it, though. It’s fine for short sections to be checked over on a message board, but it’s usually better to have longer sections for chapters in the final product.

Tifa woke with a start and unglued her cheek from the table in the bar. She normally stayed in an apartment on top of the pub but she hadn’t even gone upstairs last night. She had stayed up as long as she could manage trying to work out what to do about the note. It didn’t even say when to come, which she had to assume meant to come as quickly as possible. She didn’t want to go alone because there was too much she didn’t know. But she couldn’t risk Cloud.

That was another thing that was bothering her. How did they capture him? How did they find out where he was when even those he had called his friends hadn’t known? And why did they want her to go there in the first place? They didn’t even bother to give her a reason beyond that they had Cloud. There was too much she didn’t understand.

She stood up and considered what to do next. Then her stomach started growling, reminding her that she had had nothing to eat since dinner before she opened. She went into the kitchen and started to make some toast on the grill. It was only after she burnt the third slice that she decided to just get some cereal. She was too tired and emotional to do much of anything right now but her mind kept trying to think about the note.

She ate her breakfast and then considered whether to finish cleaning. There wasn’t really that much but she took one look out and shuddered. There was no way in hell she was going to open today. She took out the “Closed” sign she had only used on bank holidays before now, went outside and hung it on the door. Then she realised that what she really needed was to get some proper sleep. She glanced at the clock in the square before she went to bed. It was only eight in the morning and God knows what time she went to sleep at last night. No wonder she needed rest.

When she woke up again, it was just past midday. She listened and realised she could hear people complaining about the sign. That, it seemed, was a disadvantage to sleeping in a bedroom facing the town. She was usually woken by the sounds of traffic outside her window. The townsfolk often came to her bar for lunch. It wasn’t the only one in town, but it was considered the best. Everyone, it seemed, loved her cooking.

She got up and changed her clothes and got lunch for herself. Then she went back upstairs and started to pack. There was only one thing she could do, really. She had to go to the valley. She wasn’t sure what Cloud felt for her, but she was damn sure she wouldn’t find out if he was dead.

Once she was finished she went out and started hiking toward the Chocobo farm. It was almost two hours later when it came into view on the horizon and almost a half hour later when she reached it. She went in and asked Choco Billy to saddle her Gold Chocobo, Sally. They had only managed to breed one, but the old man in Kalm had given them another for the desert rose, although God knows where he had gotten it. As he was saddling it, Chole, Choco Bill’s daughter, came over to talk to her.

“Say, have you talked to Chocobo Sage since I saw ya?” she asked.

“You know, I haven’t actually talked to him since we got our Gold Chocobo.”

“That’s too bad, ya know. He might have known something else about Chocobo’s. Have I told you I want to be a chocobo breeder like he was when I grow up?” Tifa nodded and Chole added. “Why didn’t you go see him?”

“I just didn’t have time, Chole.” That and he was a doddering old fool about everything else, she thought.

“Yeah, I know what you mean. I lost track of friends of mine a while back 'cause I had to work here and it really sucked.”

Tifa smiled a little at the girls energy. I remember when I was like that. Not since Mom died, though. That wiped the smile away. Then she noticed her chocobo was ready. “Sorry, Chole, gotta go. See ya again.”

“Okay. And if ya find time, be sure to visit the sage. See ya.”

Tifa mounted up and started riding, for the first time in the year since Meteor. She hoped she wasn’t making a mistake.

People, where are the suggestions for the Hunters. I really would like them because for some reason the name doesn’t seem quite right to me. Thanks.

All of these chapters are way too short. There are also way too many grammar and spelling errors to list that you need to fix.

Spelling mistakes. Really. List 5 please. And my grammer is sort of crap. And if you noticed the top of the second one didn’t have a chapter because it’s still part of chapter 1. I was just too tired to write it all out. And it’s not finished yet. But thanks for the oh so helpful comments.

Well, considering you’ve already edited most of the spelling mistakes out it wouldn’t make much sense if I posted them now, but you still spelled “disappear” and “prologue” wrong. In the second chapter “cleanness” isn’t even a word. You spelled no one as “no-one” (no dash). You also spelled “realized” as “realised” in the third chapter. There, spelling mistakes. Smile.

I frankly don’t care if you were too tired to write it out, what I’m tired of is people making up excuses when their writing isn’t perfect. For that matter, why ARE you writing when you’re tired. You obviously won’t write as well when you’re deprived of sleep, so what’s the point? Writing isn’t a goddamn job (unless you’re an author).

My comments WERE being helpful, because they identified problems with the fanfic. I didn’t go into depth because JadeDixon already did (and you should thank her for that, too). If you want too, I can just say your fanfic fucking sucks without offering any help at all.

Ok, I wasn’t making excuses for my spellin/grammer mistakes, just for the shortness of chapters. And I have to do it when I’m tired because when I’m not, my brother’s on researching stuff. My spelling/grammer mistakes are my own fault. And sorry for the sarcasm, but could you at least say ONE good thing like “It could be good” or, “The story looks interesting” although it’s too early to say about that. And I’m still counting the last two posts as part of the same chapter. Smiles. And I did thank JadeDixon.

Well, why didn’t you say that about your brother in the first place? :stuck_out_tongue:

Granted, this DOES look like a good plot, and the only visible problems are some minor grammar issues and a few awkward sentences. Other than that, this has an interesting plot.

I also like how you followed the usual guidelines with what characters do after FFVII; they don’t do anything completely out of character or unexpected.

Well, thanks. Now if you had posted that with your first post and I had said about my brother then we’d all be happy. Oh question, what’s the difference between then and than.

“Than” is generally used to express amounts or quanitites; such as “He has more than her.”

“Then” is used to express an sequence, such as “We are going to the post office, then the beach, and then the movies.”

And as an aside, “no-one” IS acceptable.

It’s good to see a continuation of the last chapter! But if you’re going to be leaving the chapter unfinished at the end of a post, you should mention that in an author’s note so that the readers don’t get confused. Here’s some more general C&C for the new section!

It didn’t even say when to come. Which she had to assume meant to come as quickly as possible.

This should be one sentence. Change the period into a comma.

She didn’t want to go alone. There was too much she didn’t know. But she couldn’t risk Cloud.

Too many short sentences in a row. It gives it a very bumpy feeling when you read it. Combine the first two sentences with a ‘because’. The abruptness of the last sentence would then fit to emphasize its importance. I like how Tifa’s not just running head-long into things, but taking the time to realize that she’s missing something.

You used the line “There was too much she didn’t know” twice. If might be an idea to re-word the second time to add some variation, unless you’re purposely trying to emphasize that particular phrase.

Where is Tifa in this chapter? Is she still in the bar? Or has she gone home? Is her home attached to/in the bar? Give the details about this to the reader so they don’t get confused by the change of setting.

Then her stomach started growling at her, reminding her that…

Take out the ‘at her’. It’ll prevent overuse of the pronoun ‘her’, and prevent a bit of awkwardness.

How is Tifa cooking the toast that she is allowing to get burnt? Is she setting the toaster too high, or is she doing manually on the stove/in a toaster-oven?

She ate her breakfast and then considered whether to finish cleaning. She took one look out and shuddered.

Out where? Out at the bar? At the kitchen? At a mess? Hadn’t she already started cleaning when she found the note? And I believe you also said before that the mess wasn’t that bad. Burning a couple slices of toast and making some cereal wouldn’t make that big of a mess either. So what is she dreading cleaning?

I find it hard to believe that Tifa has never closed the bar before. If this is the case, she must have other staff to work with her so she can sleep at the very least. Couldn’t they cover for her if she doesn’t feel like working? But it does make sense that she wouldn’t feel up to working given the situation.

It sounds like a fair amount of time has passed between this section and the last one. Give us some indication of this. Or am I reading something wrong here?

It was only eight in the morning and God knows what time she went to sleep at last night.

This gave me the indication that she’s slept since she received the note, if not for a long time, but there was no real indication before that. I was going on the assumption that this section continued directly from the last one.

I can understand the townsfolk being annoyed by something (like her being closed) disrupting their routine, but I doubt they’d be loud enough that she could hear them complaining from inside unless she was near the door. After all, it’s highly doubtful that she’s the only bar/food place in town.

You say that Tifa’s going to the ‘canyon’ but that gives the impression that she’s going to Cosmo Canyon. Did you mean the ‘valley under the bridge’ from the note? You also said that Tifa’s unsure of her feelings for Cloud, but she seems quite sure of them during the game. Perhaps it’s that she doesn’t know how he feels for her?

Who’s Chole again? It’s been a while since I’ve played the game, and I don’t recognize the name… If it’s a new character, give the reader some background on how Tifa knows her.

Nice description of where they got the Chocobos from. And good decision not to have a whole bunch of Gold Chocobos, which would have a lot harder for them to breed. One was probably hard enough while they were busy trying to save the world.

Even if it was true, it wasn’t a nice thing to think.

Okay, this is going to sound really jaded, but that isn’t very realistic. Very few people actually get upset at themselves for thinking something bad about someone else. Most people allow themselves their guilty thoughts, a sort of release from the polite society we are surrounded by. Tifa certainly wouldn’t be rude enough to say this kind of thing out loud, but I don’t think she’d beat herself up over any thought that crossed her mind. Let her have this flaw. It will make her seem more realistic, and surprisingly more likeable because of that realism.

Hmmm… I liked the hint of sadness when Tifa was thinking about her mom. Is this something that will be explored more in the future as well?

Tifa mounted up and started riding again. And hoped she wasn’t making a mistake.

Again? She walked before, so she would be starting to ride for the first time. The ‘and’ at the beginning of the second sentence sounds awkward, so replace it with ‘she’.

Things have begun to move now, and it’ll be interesting to see where they’re going!

As for a name for the monster hunters, it’s a bit difficult without knowing a bit more about them. Who were the first to join? Former SOLDIERs? Regular army troopers? Random mercenaries? Former outlaws? These people would be the ones to name the group, and depending on who they are will depend on the sort of ideas they’d get. However, going by the ‘Monster Hunter’ formula, here a a few suggestions for alternate words. For monster: mutant, hybrid, mako-beast. For Hunter: predator, exterminator, tracker. You could use one of the words for hunter on its own, or combine any of them with the originals and their alternatives. Or you might come up with something completely different on your own. Hope this helped some!

And I’m glad you and OmegaflareX managed to sort out your difficulties. Too many people just get angry at each other and leave it at that. Good job, both of you!

Thanks again for the Beta-reading Jade. And to be honest, it’s not really worth getting that upset over something like we were. And the ideas are good for the name except hybrid which would indicate a creature unable to reproduce and I assume the monsters have the ability. But I’ll think about it some more and see what I can come up with.

No problem! I’m just glad I can help a bit.

Yeah, hybrid was sorta a stretch, but I threw it in there anyway, just in case. No biggie. Good luck coming up with a name!

A/N: Still chapter 1.

Tifa approached the valley just as darkness was descending on this part of the world. It had taken her a day and a half of hard travelling to reach here and now both she and Sally were tired. There had been only a brief stop at Costa del Sol before she had continued on and she had been careful to skirt the towns her friends were staying at. She hadn’t wanted them to get involved, as she knew they would once they found out.

However, now as she came nearer, she began to hear voices drifting towards her off the beach she was intending to land at. Even before she was able to see them she recognized those voices. She made out Cid’s cursing; Barret’s impatient bark; Yuffie’s hyper squeak; Red’s growl. She realised, in fact, that everyone was there except, herself, Vincent and Cloud.

The other’s noticed her coming before she landed and started waving to her. Once she reached the shore, she quickly dismounted and went over to them.

“What on earth is going on? I was told to come here because Cloud was captured and not to tell anyone else, and now I find you all here. Why are you here?” she asked.

“For the same God damned reason you’re here. We all got the same fucking note except Barret here, who was told to come get me and bring me to this hellhole.” Cid answered.

“It is indeed a myster-” Suddenly Red cut off and cocked his head as if listening. Soon they could all make out the sound of someone approaching by chocobo over land.

Tifa wasn’t sure who was most shocked of the group at the person who was riding it. Cid was frozen in the act of lighting up; Red still had his head cocked in that odd way and Barret just gaped. Because on that chocobo was a man who’s blond hair was stuck up in spikes. He came riding up and he looked astonished at the fact that they were surprised to see him.

“Cloud…” she whispered, half afraid that this was an illusion of some kind.

“Why are you surprised to see me?” he questioned, honestly confused. “I got a note telling me to come here to meet you all. I was a bit surprised to find out that you knew where I was, to tell the truth.”

“We didn’t,” Tifa answered. “Where were you?”

“I was staying with Holzoff, the man in the Great Glacier. I wanted to get away for a while. And what d’you mean you didn’t know where I was. Who sent the note? Why are you all here if it wasn’t for some sort of reunion.”

Suddenly Barret spoke up. “What the hell?! We were told to get our asses over here 'cause you got your spikey ass captured and now you’re telling us that you were told to come here for some reunion. What’s going on?!”

A cold voice spoke up from the shodows under the cliff. “A trap.” They all turned, surprised once more at seeing Vincent here. Tifa was getting very tired of being surprised. “Someone has gone to a great deal of trouble to lure us all here at the same time. They have done it in such a manner as to cause the maximum amount of confusion. It’s a very clever trap.”

That made them all very nervous because they realized that he was, without a doubt, correct. Weapons were unsheathed and they got ready for a fight. When none materialized, they began to nervously move backwards until suddenly Cloud commanded them to stop.

“Why are we stopping?” Yuffie questioned him, while moving nervously from one foot to the other.

“Look behind you,” he answered. “The valleys narrow enough there to force us to go through one at a time. If I was planning an ambush, that’s where I’d set it.”

“A very clever trap,” Vincent mused quietly.

“I think I might be able to appreciate it more if I wasn’t the victim,” Tifa responded.

Vincent looked about to answer, but then both he and Red turned out to sea.

“What is it?” Yuffie asked, still dancing on the spot.

“Wings, I think,” Red answered. “Quite large as well. I can’t make out anything yet.” Soon they understood what the other two meant. The wingbeats came with the regularity of a drum, but the source of those beats remained hidden despite the clear sky. When she could finally make out the shape in the darkness, she almost wished it had stayed hidden from her. It seemed to be a dragon but if that was the case, it was a lot bigger then anything she had seen before that.

The cigarette dropped from Cid’s mouth as he stared at it. “Damn me, that’s one helluva dragon.”

“Indeed,” came Vincents dry reply. Then Tifa heard a sound behind them. She turned at the same time as Vincent, to a sight which was almost as bad as the dragon. Several men were coming out of the passageway between the cliffs.

“Uh guys, it seems we may be in a bit of trouble,” she said. They turned around and saw what she meant. Cloud started back the moment he saw them and a look of recognition flashed across his face.

“Sephiroth clones…” he breathed, almost too quiet to hear and she turned to face him. “They’re moving just like the clones did.” She looked back at the people coming out and realized he was right. The moved in that slightly jerking yet flowing movement the clones had. He shook himself out his reverie and looked at the others for a moment. “Tifa, Vincent, Cait you come with me. The rest of you, see what you can do about that,” he said, jerking his head toward the oncoming dragon.

That decided, Cloud simply launched himself at the attackers with reckless abandon. “Hey, wait up,” Tifa called after him and started sprinting in his direction. She got there in time to stop one of them from landing a blow on Clouds side. Then she swung her fist and connected with his windpipe, crushing the life out of it. She paused for a moment and reflected that from what she recalled, the Sephiroth clones had not gone down so easily. Then she lost herself in the fight.

It was about twenty minutes later and Tifa could feel her strenght beginning to go. She, Cloud, Vincent and Cait had managed to force the attackers out, away from the valley, but now they found themselves on the defensive. There had been about twenty of the creatures at the start and that number had been halved in the time after that. What was odd was that the creatures had completely ignored the fight in the valley itself after drawing them out. And now the remaining ten attackers were closing in for another attack.

From the glimpses Tifa had managed to catch of the fight in the valley itself, it was just as well they were ignoring it. The dragon was flying around and forcing the others to dive out of the way of it’s claws. But she had been too busy with their own fight to bother much.

There was a sharp crack from behind her as Vincent unloaded a cartridge toward the creatures attacking them. The one he had been aiming at managed to dodge what would have been a killing hit, but had instead taken it in the shoulder. Damnit, they’re a lot faster than I expected, she thought just before the next attack forced her back a bit more. Cloud was still wielding his sword with the same intensity, but she suspected it was taking more effort from him. Another attack came, another step backwards.

A sudden scream from the valley caught her attention. She turned around, and saw Yuffie caught up in one of the the dragon’s talons. Then the dragon did something completely unexpected. It turned around and started to fly away.

With a cry, Tifa ran forward onto the bridge in a futile attempt to catch the monstrosity. But as she reached a quarter of the way across she discovered two things. One, there was no way she was going to catch that dragon and two; the ropes on the bridge had been almost cut through. The last thing she saw as she plummetted was Cloud, Vincent and Cait being forced back another step. Then she hit the ground, and darkness overtook her.

And chapter 1 ended. And there was much rejoicing. I know the plot moves a bit quickly for chapter 1 but you’ll see later that it doesn’t actually move quite as quickly as you suspected. Won’t say anymore, I’ll just leave you to ponder that.

Hmmm… neat trap! I’m curious who set it up now, though. And why Barret got a different message than the rest of them. And it seems a bit convenient that they all arrived at around the same time, considering they all came from different places and used different transportation, and there was no time specified. These people must have this planned out pretty well.

If you’re going to have someone curse, actually have them curse. ‘Fecking’ just looks ridiculous and detracts from your story. Both Barret and Cid are characters who curse, and while the game ‘blooped’ them out, I think most readers are mature enough to be able to handle of few swear-words.

When describing Yuffie’s ‘squeak’, you spelled it as ‘squek’.

I don’t really see Tifa as the type of character to curse, even something as light as ‘hell’, at least in this situation. I could see her asking ‘what on earth’, but ‘what the hell’ just strikes me as being a bit out of character, but that could just be me.

I’d say Cloud would look more confused than astonished by the fact that they were surprised to see him. After all, he was expecting to see them, so while their strange looks might be confusing, there’s nothing really ‘astonishing’ about the situation for him.

Cloud’s explanation seems a little thin. Wouldn’t he have been the least bit suspicious about the invitation, considering he hadn’t told anyone where he was? And if he had started to get lonely, why didn’t he leave to visit for a while? Nothing was stopping him. An interesting choice of places to go to, though. I like it!

Would they be surprised that Vincent showed up, or by his sudden appearance when he hadn’t been there before? After all, if the rest of them were there, it would be more surprising if he wasn’t.

When they realize it’s a trap, weapons should be ‘unsheathed’ not ‘unsheated’.

It’s was nice to see Yuffie’s excessive energy represented by her inability to stand still.

I’m a bit confused by their movement. Are they heading into or out of the valley? If they were already in the valley, and exiting through the narrow passage, that means they would have gone through it once before already. Wouldn’t it have made sense for the enemy to have ambushed them one by one as they entered, and were alone. After all, once they saw the others, their guards were immediately raised. If they’re entering the valley, explain why.

Vincent looked about to answer, but then both he an Red turned out to see.

It should be ‘he and Red’. And what do you mean, ‘turned out to see’? Do you mean they turned to look at something? It sounds more like they’re listening to something, and the others would probably be able to pick up on that from their body language.

Soon they understood what they meant.

You use the pronoun ‘they’ here twice for two different groups. It can cause a bit of confusion and disrupt the flow of reading. I’d suggest: “Soon the group understood what the other two meant.”

The wingbeats came with the regularity of a drum, but the source of those beats remained hidden despite the clear sky. When she could finally make out the shape in the darkness, she almost wished it had stayed hidden from her. It seemed to be a dragon but if that was the case, it was a lot bigger then anything she had seen before that.

I really liked this section! Something about the flow and word choice really felt right to me. I felt I should give it its own ‘moment’ as a break from all my criticism. :biggrin:

Several men were coming out of the passageway between the cliffs.

Is this the narrow one from earlier? Or a different one? If it’s a different one, you should use ‘a’ instead of ‘the’.

If the new arrivals are moving just like the clones, describe how they’re moving! Are they shuffling? Gliding? Stalking? Give the reader a visual cue!

That section is also the first part where Cait Sith is mentioned. Up until this point, the reader only assumed Reeve/Cait Sith was there because Tifa said everyone was there. It might be good to mention earlier that Reeve is using the robot to represent himself. It would be something Tifa would notice, as assumedly she’s had some face-to-face interactions with the man behind the moogle since Meteor.

When Tifa stops one of the clones from hurting Cloud, it should be “Cloud’s” side, you forgot the apostrophe.

Hmmm… sounds like these might not be actual clones if they’re going down easier. Wonder what that’s about…

You should spell out numbers whenever possible, or whenever it wouldn’t be awkeard. If you’re doing something like giving a phone number, numerals are okay, but when counting something, like time or creatures, you should spell out the number unless it’s large. Therefore, ‘20’ should be ‘twenty’.

Typo! Strenght=strength. Also, it’s okay to abbreviate Cait Sith to ‘Cait’ in dialogue, but in the actual story you should use the full name whenever possible.

It’s kinda strange how you change from referring the people they’re fighting as ‘clones’ to attackers between scenes. It’s okay to use a bit a variation, but this is a distinct change. If there isn’t a reason for it, you should consider changing something.

The one he had been aiming at managed to dodge a killing hit, but had instead taken it in the shoulder.

Perhaps you should make that ‘…managed to dodge what would have been a killing hit,…’. Just a suggestion.

Tifa’s direct thoughts, rather than just events through her point of view, should be surround by single quotations, or italicized, or something to indicate they’re not part of the regular story flow.

Hmmm… intriguing action on the dragon’s part. I assume it’s all part of the ‘plan’, and look forward to seeing what’s happening.

Poor Tifa doesn’t seem to have much luck with bridges, does she? I’m trying to picture the scene and the movements from what I remember from the game, and would the fall place her back in the valley? Or am I completely messing up my geography here? (Wouldn’t be the first time… :fungah: )

Very interesting chapter! A lot of intriguing things happened, with questions answered, and more questions to add to the list. Your main problem still seems to be a lack of detail in a lot of places. Don’t be afraid to paint a clear picture of what’s going on. The reader needs the detail in order to make sense of what’s going on. We don’t have your inside view of what’s happening.

So remember:

:booster: :booster: FEED US!!! :booster: :booster:

Thanks Jade. On the whole them going into the valley thing, the reason they weren’t ambushed will be explained soon enough but I couldn’t do it now without destroying the story. And I will try not to leave you hungry next time. :hahaha;