FF6 RE-retranslation project!

Ahh. Guess this means I have to download mIRC again.

I formally request the role of Gau :open_mouth:

I’m experienceing such elation for the role I’ve done shatted myself.

Or Gestahl, I think I could do that one better actually.

You Beaut! Bloody bonza of an idea!

I’ll give it a crack, mate!

Gee, thanks. I think… :slight_smile:

This isnt ever going to happen, derp.

Yeah okay, meatball-head.

Yeah, instead of making a lame ass website and spending a ton of time on it, and then never finishing, we actually shut up and WORK on OUR project. Yeah, HOW you gonna act, bitchmageone, yeaaa HOW you gonna act?! :stuck_out_tongue:

Aw, I was going to pick Gau, but seems he is taken by two already…

Well, it’s not like we’ve tried out anyone yet. Consider yourself applied. But no one’s gonna be tried out until we get there. Project is currently on hold, as Nulani’s forums (our base of operations) are down, and Cless (major role) is out of town. :confused:

Where’s the patch?

When you say FF3 do you mean the american FF3 for super nintendo? Yeah, that translation was horrible. RPGone’s FF6 translation is way better

Woolsey’s translation was as good as it could get considering both space problems and Nintendo’s censorship, and it was localized so it would make as much sense as possible to Anglophones. Sky Render’s translation is expressly designed for otaku, not people who aren’t experts in Japanese language and culture. It would never be released in any professional game, even back then.

There’s nothing otaku or japanese expert about RPGone’s final fantasy 6 translation. Anyone that’s played it know’s it’s better than the “Final Fantasy 3” thing. It’s the real deal

Who’s woolsey?

lol

And as Cid already mentioned, Woolsey (the translator) had space issues, and Nintendo to contend with and appease (not to mention a deadline). Now, if you take a look at fan translations, they have to contend with only one of those three things. Nintendo wasn’t breathing down RPGOne’s neck to make sure that the patch wouldn’t tarnish their image, and there was no set deadline, so they were free to do as much or as little to the rom in way of enhancements (by that I mean working on the space issues) as they wanted to.

Why would there be space issues?

And is that signature pic from Megami Tensei?

The cartridges only held so much data at once, and translating games from japanese to english usually means you’ll have problems doing a literal, word-for-word translation, just because kanji is (for the most part) a less space-consuming format when compared with germanic/latin/whateverthefuckyouwannacallit.

Expanding on what Steve said, the carts could have a lot of free space else where in the rom than where the text is, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the game can access it without doing some work (often times a lot of work). As for the kanji think of it like this: in Japanese the number 1 can be expressed as one kanji, if you were to translate that into english you would have to decided between using “1” or “one”, either of which could result in a waste of rom space, depending on how the kanji encoding works. If you really want to learn more about how and why this is, I’d recommend you pick up some books on computer programming (particularly low-level assembly, but that isn’t really necessary, unless you like that sort of think like me >_>). I used to think I was getting screwed over by the video game companies, but later I’ve realized that it HAS to be that way sometimes.

My sig is from the new PS2 Megami Tensei.

That’s not true…to be quite honest, this entire joke translation was inspired by how crappy the RPGOne was. It’s the exact same fucking dialogue, only BORING TO READ. Oh great. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Burn to death.” Great. Some might say that “Fire! Heh heh…” isn’t much better, but “Burn to death.” Boooooooooooooring… “There are a stellar amount of girls here…” Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

By the way, SG, how go things with the project?

is it too late to comment on your characterization of Celes? I think you guys are seriously misappraising her character…