Election 2008: Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States of America

New thread, woop.

364-173

Not yet he isn’t. He’s not president until he gets sworn in. Hell, he’s not even President-Elect yet. He’s, uh, President-Elect-Elect. Should something horrible happen between now and December 15th, the Electors could vote differently. If something happens between then and January 20th, I dunno what then. I think Biden would get it. So he’s not president. Not yet.

Pre-President Elect. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, did you guys see McCain’s concession speech? It was very classy, left me with a good feeling. Aside from his audience booing throughout anyway. It felt more like the McCain that should’ve been running the entire time.

Well, watching from up here in Canuckistan, cheers everyone!

Look at all these votes coming in.

My mom found a report that millions of Georgia votes have gone uncounted. Awesome, my state looks stupider than normal.

92% of the precincts are in, some of those most likely metro-Atlanta. Votes not being counted may also be because they’re absentee and will be counted later, provisional ballots which probably aren’t counted, and other things.

In spite of my cynicism about politics, this makes me happy. Not as happy as if I had slept within the last two days(don’t ask). This whole thing seems like fate… a great leader arising in the time of peril, and all that.

On a sidenote, the popular vote was 51-48%! McCain only lost by 3%; can anyone dare to imagine what the result would have been if there had been no financial collapse?

Originally Posted by SpoonyBard
[i]Also, did you guys see McCain’s concession speech? It was very classy, left me with a good feeling. Aside from his audience booing throughout anyway. It felt more like the McCain that should’ve been running the entire time.

Well, watching from up here in Canuckistan, cheers everyone! [/i]

Yes and second. I thought that McCain did the right thing by calling for America to unite, and though it did seem that the crowd was a bit too unruly to accept a concession speech there was the same unruliness from Hilary supporters earlier in the year.

Another thing that was brought up during the evening was that today was a rare demonstration of a country practicing what it preaches. And while it may be a bit optimistic, with all the bullshit that is the economy, two dead-end wars, a warming planet, and other assorted letdowns, it’s good to know that there is a country that isn’t completely full of shit out there. Of course I could be dead wrong on this, but lets hope that I’m not.

I was reading Yahoo and Associated Press and they were predicting around 318 for Obama, which is why the 330s+ is a nice growth. However, I’m surprised that the popular vote was so close, especially since most polls had Obama leading by 6 to 7%,

Welp, looks like people can finally shut up about the “Missouri bellwether”.

Really, why must Afghanistan always be lumped with Iraq? Most any anti-Bush speech I hear (including some Obama speeches), it always mentions he led us into two wars. Afghanistan wouldn’t have happened if it weren’t for 9/11, and yes we’re technically in two military conflicts right now. However, it takes away from the validity of Afghanistan to constantly lump it in as a Bush War of the Iraq nature.

Ok I will admit that I shouldn’t have called the war in Afghanistan a dead-end war since we were able to end it once. However, because we walked away too soon to focus on Iraq the country was left destabilized which was essentially the same as leaving an open wound to fester. Furthermore it’s because that we engaged in a second war right after ‘finishing’ the first that our resources for either dispute has been reduced to the point where we really can’t fight either of them (or at least not at an effective level).

Basically we’re stuck in two different wars now because we can’t fight our way out of both of them at the same time (or something to that effect).

I’m not an expert or anything, but don’t think Afghanistan is really that destabilized. There are a lot of countries there other than the US, Canada being a major one, and most of what I hear said on the news by Afghani people both in Canada and the middle east, is positive. And since news organizations generally thrive on doom, that’s gotta be a good thing.

I’m not saying war is a great idea or anything, but I gotta question how unstable it really is over there, even if it isn’t all peaches and cream like in Canadaland.

I voted Libertarian :confused:

Damn right you did. You weren’t gonna vote for anyone that bowled a 37. I know what groups you belong to.

Originally Posted by Hades Shinigami
[i]I’m not an expert or anything, but don’t think Afghanistan is really that destabilized. There are a lot of countries there other than the US, Canada being a major one, and most of what I hear said on the news by Afghani people both in Canada and the middle east, is positive. And since news organizations generally thrive on doom, that’s gotta be a good thing.

I’m not saying war is a great idea or anything, but I gotta question how unstable it really is over there, even if it isn’t all peaches and cream like in Canadaland.[/i]

True that. It’s rather hard to remain in a state of disorder for six years, and from what I’ve been hearing it seems that a new Taliban has replaced the old one. I’m not too sure on this however since information out here is rather unreliable (plus I’m not doing enough researching on my end either) however regardless as to whether or not we’re at war with Afghanistan it doesn’t change the fact that the issue needs to be dealt with by the next president.

Well, blimey. Polls got it right.

Palin mistaking him for a Caribou?

Anyway, congrats so far. :ark:

I find this to be made of win and awesome.

And a friend of an online friend and his pals had a drinking game to Obama’s speech. One shot for each “Yes we can”.

Bad idea XD