Drinking and Driving

I’ve never done it, mainly because I can’t drive. I said in the other thread that when I got behind the wheel for the first time today I came to the realization that I was in control of what was pretty much a killing machine - that cars are extremly dangerous in the hands of anyone, expierenced or not.

It made me think about the times I had been in the car with a driver that was high, or drunk, and after seeing something that I saw on another forum, I am desperatly hoping I have the integrity to never, ever drink and drive.

Warning: This is some deep shit, and it is awfully graphiclly disturbing. This is definitly not for the faint of heart.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mike.m/drinking_and_driving.htm

This is disturbingly sad, and I must say that I admire her courage going on like that.

I usually think that Im pretty well knit when it comes to my emotions, and that I’m hard to reach, but within 3 seconds of that website, I was completly and utterly floored. Im in a mental fetal posistion.

Don’t drink and drive.

I’m only going to say this once, if any of you people decide to drink and don’t have the freaking brainpower to not drive or have someone else drive you home and you get in a car accident that doesn’t kill you, I’m going to seek you out and beat the living crap out of whatever is left of your stupid ass. It’s your choice to drink, but don’t be a moron about it.

I think this website should be mandatory for all driving classes and people going into college.

holy shit when i saw that i got dizzy and almost threw up, no-one, I repeat, NO-ONE should have to go through what she did. Jeez, I’m still freaking nauseous.

Good lord… That is deperessing, and an excellent reason not to drink and drive.

But many kids (and alcoholics) think “It’s not going to happen to me”, after all, not all drunk drivers crash. But still.

IT happens, and the law of averages says it WILL. It’s just not worth it…

It’s very important not to drive while impaired in any way, whether it’s alcohol, tiredness, drugs (legal or not), whatever. The same things can and do happen.

I’m willing to bet that most, if not all of you, have been affected directly by someone driving impaired or somehow know someone who was. Considering how widespread we are, that says something. My mom was in an accident caused by a drunk driver in the middle of the day when she was younger - I’m glad she didn’t have more than the broken pelvis she got, or I wouldn’t be here.

The funny thing about impaired driving is that so often someone other than the driver is the one who ends up hurt. The law of averages there makes it even more disgusting.

a broken pelvis can be lethal. My cousin nearly died in a drunk driving accident. He had drinks, so he didn’t want to drive. So one of his buddies, who died, ended up driving from this pre-start of year party. However, he didn’t know his buddy had had drinks. My cousin ended up breaking his neck and a variety of other things. He had a head support screwed into his head and shoulders and was impaired for a great many months.

Jimbus… :frowning: I definitely agree with Sin’s first post- if you’re driving, don’t drink. The punishments for drinking and driving should be a lot higher than they actually are… Manslaughter at the very least for killing someone (unless they already are, I’m not too aware as I don’t drive. Or drink).

I have, for a long while, refused to get in the car with a drunk driver- I don’t care if it’s 5 miles at night, it’d be much healthier for me in virtually every way just to walk it.

I’m afraid that if I click on that link, I’ll be scarred.The captions alone frightened me, so I’ll take everyone’s word for it.

But many kids (and alcoholics) think “It’s not going to happen to me”, after all, not all drunk drivers crash. But still.

I agree with that.Though,I know many people who drink and drive, and they’re just fine, and that’s pathetic.It’s almost as if they’re waiting for something, or automatic proof that it CAN happen to them.Not everyone believes :frowning:

When I drink at partys or just go to a friends place on the weekend and get hammerd I never leave, most of the time I just pass out anyway but, most of the places they just take everyones keys. Which is a good idea. But if I ever leave when being drunk, I just walk.

We usually get drunk at our friend adams house, because his mom buys us beer, but we have to pay for it, but she seys “if we drink, we can’t leave” and she takes everyones keys who drinks into her room.

Smart woman.

I feel too alienated; to see this.

I know that some of the people in my grade drink, but I don’t. Whats more, I will probably have only on drink in my entire life and that will be on my 21 birthday one sip, for picture oportunities, but after that I will take in only microscopic amounts. This way others will never have to worry about me driving drunk.
That site just strengthned my feelings about it.

Don’t drink, so I can’t give an anecdote. Come to think of it, I don’t drive, either. In any case, as much as some of my friends get drunk, not a one has ever been nailed for drunk driving. None of them really drive after drinking…they’re good like that.

Can I assume I’m not alone in the opinion then that an intoxicated person is completely responsible for his/her actions when plastered, no matter if they had no intention of doing a specific action beforehand? In other words, being drunk is not a mitigating circumstance.

On a side note, it occurs to me that “being drunk” must have more synonyms than any other word/phrase in the language.

I, thankfully, don’t know anyone who drinks, or anyone stupid enough to drink AND drive. But when i saw that link, and what was inside it… shudder

yet another reason as to why I’ll never touch Alcohol. Ever.

:eek:

after seeing that, i will never drink at all, let alone drive drunk.

no one should have to go through that.

and yes, i will try to never drink at all, regardless of what people think of me for it.

And that is precisly the reason why alcohol is off-limits to all unicorn/cat girls.

In Ontario now, after your first D&D charge, you can only drive cars that have special breathalizer attachments on them. You have to have a passing breathalizer to start the car.

And they showed those pictures at my driver’s ed class.

Originally posted by RoguePaladinTrian

Can I assume I’m not alone in the opinion then that an intoxicated person is completely responsible for his/her actions when plastered, no matter if they had no intention of doing a specific action beforehand? In other words, being drunk is not a mitigating circumstance.

It used to be, I think. But it isn’t now. And I think that’s right; it shouldn’t be.

Given that the affects of alcohol/drunkenness on the brain (reaction time, judgment, etc. being impaired) are well known and established, I figure that if one chooses the fun of being drunk (and whether to be drunk or not is a conscious choice made by the individual) the resulting effects on you were chosen by you. You choose to put yourself in the drunken state, and you are still ultimately responsible for what you do in that state.

Why trash your body and mind with alcohol and other harmful substances, when you can enjoy a nice fruit juice? The problem is, there are lots of stupid people who think that doing certain things makes them more mature or popular. Don’t play with that kind of things. And Zhou Yu is absolutely right! I will NEVER even get close to that kind of thing!