does anyone fell sorry for Sephiroth?

than whos a good villian?

Arac. I’m eagerly waiting for the reasons that in time will make him seek world domination.

I do feel sorry for one thing about Sephiroth. He so hyped up about being all powerful, and then is the easiest boss fight in the whole series. That much suck, after that much hype deserves a little pity.

Sephiroth and Kefka were both insane, but at least Kefka had real style, and didnt try to blame his evil on others. Ill take “lalala, I’m crazy, I have a present for you, its a knife in the back! hahaha” over “I was made in a lab, waaaa, I’m going to kill you, waaaa.” They gave sephiroth a couple of decent scenes, but his motivations were weak, and on the crazy scale, he was way too far in the emo category. Honestly, with his few good “I’m Evil” scenes, he would have been a better villain overall if they left those in, and got rid of the little bit of development they did give him. This is a case where not knowing his motivations really would have helped him as a villain overall, because anybody’s imagination can come up with better.

I think I’d be a pretty good dictator. I’d base my political philosophy off of Marx.

Freedoniaaa! Land of the Spree, and the Home of the Knave.

i compleatly felt sorry for sephiroth, i know i know.how can you feel sorry for a whiny emotional insane villian? well, its this simple, before he found out he was an atrocity, he was a cool collected and rational individual. after the shinra manor incident he compleatly lot his mind. think about it what if you found out that your mother was raped your father a mad scientist and you where injected with a substunce called jenova cells, you would probably go insane too. would you want other people to fell sorry for you, just a little bit???

But he was never “brought down” though, that’s the problem. When we first meet him, he’s already evil. And his motivation is totally blase, “destroy the planet, become a god” etc.

God, 2006… I remember making that comment. It was funny then and it’s funny now.

My campaign for dictator hasn’t made much progress in four years.

I’m surprised at how articulate I was in 2006.

I’m surprised by how hard it is for me to tell how sarcastic I was being in 2006.

I’m surprised by how much I still gave a shit about Final Fantasy in 2006.

I’m (always) surprised that people think so highly of FF7.

Really, I’ve never understood.

Well, VII was the first modern/epic RPG, it was like nothing out at the time, so there’s that. But I have replayed it and it hasn’t aged well; the character sprites in particular look clumsy though that’s only to be expected with the advances in CGI. The plot holes still bother me as much as they did back then. (ex. just WHY did Aeris go to do the summoning alone which only led to her death?) However, I’ll say this: it had a TON of fun stuff that only marginally had to do with the plot (Golden Saucer anyone? :slight_smile: ) And the music is still epic.

I haven’t been able to look at it the same since I’ve replayed it back a few years ago as well.

Much of the problem is after you leave Midgar when pretty much nothing happens in regards to the main storyline until the Temple of the Ancients. Everything in between is pure character building in the most formulaic way possible. Go to [new town], encounter [some problem], solve [some problem] with [character] forced into [your party], resolve [past issues] haunting [character], return [character] to [beanchwarmer role], go to [new town]. The only characters this doesn’t apply to are Tifa (who rides Cloud’s character development coattails), Aerith (the only character besides Cloud and Sephy who’s central to the plot), and Cait Sith/Vincent (who get absolutely nothing).

Then there’s the second disk which is entirely centered around locating Cloud and fixing him up via Cosmosphere dive, The Hunt for Huge Materia (starring Sean Connery as Cid, captain of the submarine ‘Huge Materia’…and every other vehicle on the planet), and Storming the [STRIKE]Castle[/STRIKE] Corporate Headquarters. Oh and breeding those fucking Chocobo.

The tl;dr is that the game is structured similarly with FFs V & VI in terms of pacing (you can see it in “first disk=first two worlds/world of balance:meteor’s summoning=fused world/world of ruin”) but tried to tell a far more ambitious story but with far less to work with (built new resource hogging technology but designed in the same old sprite mentality).

It’s basically the same case that the Golden Sun games are under. For a lot of people this was their first or second RPG and they really haven’t revisited it since. Really, the only thing most people remembered or cared about FFVII was Sephy shanking that skank Aerith with his long hard sword, and maybe the music.

You’re absolutely right, Kill: the game meanders, but the characters, and the world itself, were very interesting. In fact, since the game was transitioning from the old RPG style where you wasted hours on fetch quests before getting back to the plot, to something with a more solid story, I suspect that design was an intentional compromise.

If they ever remake the game, I suspect that they will make it so you can go from the Nibelheim Reactor events right into looking for the Temple of the Ancients (they will of course, keep the Golden Saucer). Cid may be made entirely optional (like Yuffi and Vincent were, we tend to forget that.) The Weapons didn’t really add much to the story when you think about it; they sort of came out of nowhere (Meteor was enough of a final menace.) I say make them optional too. (Cait Sith cannot be made optional however, remember it was he who betrayed the group to Shinra, only to later (as Reeves) help them during the last part of the game.)

Of course, they will add scenes to link it to the prequels and sequels that have been made since then. And hopefully they would explain things better like the thing with Aeris that I said above. (And while I doubt her death can be prevented, adding a code so players can keep using her in battle would also be a big draw. Remember how those rumors burned the gamer circles? :P).

The graphics would of course get remade to modern standards. The music should NOT be touched if they know what they are doing!!

(Oh, and what about the scene where Cloud has to crossdress- you think they will keep it?) :hahaha;

How could you not? I know he went too far, but face it. He’s a victim of circumstance, that’s it. IF you were pushed that far, you’d be a bit freaked too. It’s called a breakdown, he’s just better at it than most people :slight_smile: