does anyone fell sorry for Sephiroth?

What about the whole destroying the Crystals thing, too? Remember, doing that killed each of the elements on both worlds. That counts as destroying it, right?

True, but then again doing so only caused the holes to appear, hurtting nature, but nothing compared to what Kefka did. Sephiroth could have done REAL damange had the planet not attacked to defend itself.

Oh, granted, Kefka wins. But Ex-Death did a number on the planet, too. And Sephiroth was a pussy. Really. That’s all there is to say about it. Maybe not physically, but in terms of will, he was one of the worst.

Well, Sephiroth was insane; would he have done the same stuff if he’d never snapped? Probably not. Tough he did have a bad attitude; I think he hates Cloud because he sensed that they were similar, but Cloud was stronger as a person (he could control Cloud only because of his mental problems.) Also, Cloud had something he never did: Friends.

I don’t feel sorry for Sephiroth. Since it’s made fairly clear his insanity isn’t really a chemical tpye of thing or real mental disorder, but an utter inability to deal with even the smallest bit of damage to his psyche. It was just like trying to write a pitiable villain. It doesn’t work like that. You try and write a good villain, and he’ll be pitiable if he needs to be.

I think Kefka was much stronger as a villain, his love of Destruction for destruction mixed with his ridiculous extents to prove a point make him almost an exestential character, probably the closest videogames have to come to one. He’s almost like the protagonist of Camus’ The Stranger in that respect, motiveless murder to see if life has any meaning at all, or just to do something that means something.

He only destroyed the crystals to release himself, and then to merge the two worlds together, so he could unlock the power of the Cleft of Dimension. Everything before was merely a prelude, is what I thought.

Cloud was friends with Sephiroth though. Right?

No. ZACK might have been friends with Sephiroth (though I doubt it); Cloud just looked up to him. Sephiroth wouldn’t bother with a low-level MP. Zack, though, I thinkw as CLoud’s first real friend ever.

Whew, I didn’t see any new replies for a while and was worried my Kefka as Existential Antagonist post had killed the thread.

Kefkas is Existential? hes just nuts

Motiveless murder to tell if life has any meaning, or even to prove it doesn’t, seems pretty damn existential to me.
Just killing them with no reason whatsoever would be crazy.

the way you describe existenilism sounds like something Nietchze would say Kefka was nothing like a Nietchze philosopher

Not necessarily. To my understanding, Nietsczhe believed that people were responsible for creating their own meaning. Kefka hated people for doing that, though - like at the end when he kept saying he would destroy any attempts to recreate love and happiness in the world.

correct simply put he’s evil,
now back to discussing Sepheroth

Camus. One of the two main schools of existentialism, one of his largest works is about motiveless murder as an outcry to find meaning or lack thereof in life. Kefka specifically states he wants to destroy the world to prove that it does not.
He’s an existentialist villain, essentially, instead of a hero. Instead of asking the question, he’s decided on the answer and out to prove it by experiment. More misanthropic, same idea.

Sephiroth, again, sat in a goddamned crater and whined.

Well, to begin, I didn’t like him very much. Whine whine, complain complain.
Didn’t have the fire Kefka did.

But I do pity him. Really, is it his fault he was handed over as a baby for use in terrible experiments? How much of his evil is JENOVA talking? I’d like to have seen him if Lucrecia had raised him properly. She has a lot more to be sorry for than just screwing up Vincent and his dad. ;D

[QUOTE=]Jachra
Didn’t have the fire Kefka did.
[/QUOTE]

:hahaha; :hahaha; :hahaha; :hahaha; :hahaha; :hahaha;
he set more fires than Kefka did, but it was Kuja who set some real fires

Originally posted by Zhare
he set more fires than Kefka did, but it was Kuja who set some real fires

Actually Kefka has the higher burn count than Sephiroth. Sephiroth burned only Nibelheim while Kefka burned Figaro, The Magitec Research Facility, That house in Tzen, and let’s not forget the whole world.:mwahaha:

Oh and Sephiroth was such a tool thruout most of the game.

Sephiroth was just a prissy bitch on a power trip. Another one to kick into the loser shelf along with Kefka.

Sefiros has no real motivation. All he does is find out he was mostly made up of Jenova cells(hardly a “horrible experiment”), and then he decides to just destroy the world with a big meteor. The vilain in ff7 i feel sorry for is the meteor. It goes to all the effort to destroy midgar by crashing into it, and then these tornados come and do it.