Dear Brits

8000 schools close in the UK: way to fucking go guys!

New York isn’t quite so bad… we still require at least 6-7 inches of snow before they even consider closing schools. Public schools, anyway. College doesn’t close for shit here. Well, except when we had that windstorm a few years back, but that’s different.

Around here, schools and stuff won’t even consider closing unless roads and such ice over. Given how often that actually happens here in Texas, it’s pretty uncommon, maybe 1-3 times a year, if that.

Of course, once people know that everything’s gonna ice over, then they start freaking out. Some being complete idiots and still try and drive on the roads regardless (and get stuck, slide, crash, etc.).

Hell, I’d be happy if we got snow this way. Don’t get enough of it around here. Plus, massive snowfights at the university!

My area is full of pussies. If it even threatens to snow they’ll close down the schools(all except the one I go to). It barely ever snows enough to stick to the ground here.

For some reason, I keep viewing Sin’s posts as updates from a bitter, yet obsessive, ex. Next thing you know it’s all “why did you leave me, Britain?” And we all cheer him up with ice cream and ponies but he is still checking to see all her unfriendslocked posts on LJ and asking France “casually” what she’s been doing and who she was with. But all this time you’ve been with Greenland. Oh, sure, she isn’t as pretty as England, but she loves you, damnit! THINK OF ALL THE LOVING TIMES YOU’VE HAD WITH GREENLAND!

The GTA isn’t considered Canada by the rest of Canada. They’re pussies too.

We’d probably get school closures in London for 25cm too, but… 99% of us wouldn’t know why. I guess because when you’re in kindergarten, 25cm is like, up to your neck.

I also find it interesting that me and CC posted in the same thread at exactly 3:34 in the dead of night.

Having extensively studied ways to deal with a possible snow-related emergency (3cm here in Greece) I have this advice to offer: Don’t you eat the yellow snow.

Wait, what. 3cms is a snow-related emergency?

Up here, a “snow-related emergency” starts somewhere around the point where you begin measuring in meters.

So, to continue the trend in this thread:
You are all pussies.
(Well almost all of you at least. Canada can get some proper snowmergencies, afaik.)

Toronto is unfortunately starting to “grow up” in terms of snow… in the last few years we’ve been pummeled by it. Not as bad as Ottawa or Montreal, but I can safely say that I have nowhere else to put the snow on my driveway, as I have drifts about nine feet high on my lawn either side of it. Same thing happened last year. Luckily the weather’s going to get unseasonably warm in a few days (up to 3 degrees!) so hopefully some of it will melt.

Goddammit, why can’t we get 30 cms of snow so they’ll close the damn college. I want a snow day already.

It snowed here yesterday. There was no ice on the ground this morning. School was still postponed until 11 AM. I didn’t not find this out until I showed up for my 9 AM class. Because 9 AM was canceled, our 11 AM also canceled. I showed up at 9 AM to go to my 1 PM class. All because of snow yesterday that didn’t result in any ice.

That was* tongue in cheek. Remote places are sometimes cut off by snow, but we get snow so rarely (once a year, max) in Athens, we accept it as a silent excuse for a day off. Then people decide to visit their cut-off village without snow tires, they get stuck and tell the underpaid [STRIKE]wage slave[/STRIKE] reporter sent there that the state can’t do its job. Cue talking heads that bubble on while we’re dozing at home.

Just to put some context to that, I was just wearing a shirt today (17-19C), in February. Athens isn’t a city much concerned edit:[strike]with[/strike] about /edit snow.

*slightly.

…Damn you. ;_;

I don’t remember the last time we had a day off for snow here. My mother’s an elementary school teacher and I can’t recall a single day in the last few years she got off because of snow. Maybe one (I know we had a storm a year or two ago that dumped 40cm in a day and a half).

I date an eskimo. No, seriously. And I once asked him about snow days.

He just laughed. For like a minute straight.

The only snow day I had that I can remember as a boy was when I was in HS in January 1998. The ice storm that destroyed the entire province under half a foot of ice.

Best snow day I can remember is when the wind had piled up snow so far over my window that I couldn’t see anything outside.
Later that day I got up onto our roof by just walking on the snow, so that was an aswesome pile of snow.

We still had to go to school that day though. :confused:

I suppose if we had more often snow, we’d consider it business as usual and lose our nature-related day off in the process. It seems the climate’s getting a bit hotter though.

Where the fuck is Cless Alvein?

Cless is one of them DIRTY CANADIANS! He smells of maple syrup and moose. As a MERICAN I smell like JUSTICE and HOT DOGS! Weep in shame, Canada!