Crowning moments of psychotic video game obsession.

i lost hundreds of hours to do pretty much everything there is to do on ff7: all sidequests, all minigames, all materias maxed (kotr too), lvl99 with all chars (well, not aeris)

same thing on ff8…but if i remember correctly, that wasn’t has hard

(tried to do the same on ff9 but it was just to hard to reach lvl99 :s (and beat that nightmarish rope minigame))

also beat valkyrie profile in all difficulties, with all endings + seraphic gate like 5 times

very impressive…i tried beating it like 3 times with the elf, always get psyched out midgame :\

love that game…never had the patience to finish that dungeon though

urgh…masochism oO

I used to have a pc controller modeled after the psx controller and played SNES games with it… I don’t know where it got to, but I want it back. I wanna play me some Secret of Evermore.

I didn’t know people even still played Classic :o

Anyway, me friends and I only know how to play All-Stars, so we’re just waiting for War3 to patch to 1.24 and for DotA 6.60 to come out. We usually play on Garena because it’s more pirate-friendly

I posted this site before, I’ll do so again: Retrozone

And having my emulators run on a 22 inch flatscreen is kind of like a TV?

There are some pretty good retro shops in most cities. They’re difficult to find because a lot of them are 80’s generic and not gaming specific. Also, I find the best places have the least appealing name - example: “Al’s Used CD’s, Movies, and Games.”

EDIT: I mention this because sometimes ebay can be less than helpful, either in results of price.

That’s an act of love if I’ve ever seen it!

heh, yea, Classic has been going strong even after all-stars came out. There’s actually a debate on the merits of each on the official DOTA forums. The general consensus there is that Classic is better because it is a more balanced overall game rather than just about hero-kills. Sieging is merely a by-product. I don’t know how true that is in high-level games since I haven’t played all-stars at a tournament level.

What I didn’t like about all-stars is the dominance of certain skills. In classic if 2 heroes are 1v1 with full-health, it is very rare that one can’t escape if they want to. So it typically involves the teamwork of 2 or more to get one hero kill. Sieging is also a huge part of the strategy.

i beat Smash T.V. on midway arcade classics and only used one continue. not as crazy as some things you psychos did, but definitely hard.

I don’t actually even know what “sieging” means. Is it equivalent to pushing a lane for the towers?

It’s true, though, that for all-stars, the meta-game at a tournament level is much more about executing hero-vs-hero fights, with games rarely lasting longer than 40-50 minutes. It is rare to see 1 hour+ games with defensive play backed up by farmed-up late-game item-dependent heroes; those are usually reserved for more public-oriented games.

What I didn’t like about all-stars is the dominance of certain skills. In classic if 2 heroes are 1v1 with full-health, it is very rare that one can’t escape if they want to. So it typically involves the teamwork of 2 or more to get one hero kill. Sieging is also a huge part of the strategy.

I don’t know what you mean by the dominance of certain skills… some of them are better than others for given situations, of course, and there are top-tier and bottom-tier heroes in terms of league play, but it’s also rare in all-stars that a full-hp hero can kill another full-hp hero if the second actively tries to get away from the get-go, unless it’s very late in the game and the item-dependent heroes start to shine.

Sieging is basically damaging buildings. There are quite a few skills whose main intent is to damage their base to get to the main and damage it. In classic you need a balance between sieging heroes for offense and hero-killing heroes for defense. It’s hard to win with a team of only hero-killers unless you have a well-coordinated push.

The skills may be more balanced now in All-Stars. I haven’t played in a long while. I just remember some skillsets that were virtually inescapable even if you were only about 10 steps outside your base.

Ah, I suppose the equivalent are “pusher” heroes in All-Stars. These heroes generally have physical-damage spells that damage towers, or, more commonly, the ability to summon units so that towers can be overwhelmed with a small summoned creep army. There are, of course, also heroes whose skills are suited to clearing creep waves.

All-Stars has a lot of modes, and the modes make it balanced (e.g. all pick, where everyone picks whoever they want from all heroes; random draft, where teams select heroes from a limited pool in a 1-2-2-2-2-1 manner; single draft, where each player has 3 heroes to choose 1 from; captain mode; where each captain of the team can ban 4 heroes with alternating order and then pick heroes in a 1-2-2-2-2-1 manner from the remaining heroes, etc.). If you pick a team of 5 good heroes, there will be another team of 5 other heroes suited to counter them or at least to match them. Winning the game depends on teamwork and execution.

I beat the Elite Four with just a Raichu, once.

So I haven’t found 7th Saga yet.

But on the other hand that second paragraph sounds like some sort of challenge. A challenge I just might accept (since I already have the game but no reason to play it immediately).

For awhile when I was 8-10 years old, I was obsessed with beating Final Fantasy Legend with four monsters. Eventually I realized this was easy to do if 1) you had four slime types and 2) you ran from almost every fight except boss fights.

Got another one: Playing a complete game of Civ 2 from 4000BC to launching to Alpha Centauri in one sitting.

I completed Phantasy Star II.

III and IV also, but II was by far the craziest…those dungeons were designed by a real sadist.

16 hour days spent grinding up to kill Dark Force and Mother Brain…an experience permanently tattoo’d on my soul.

Hmm… I guess the first thing that comes to mind for me that I’ve done would be beating Tactics Ogre. Over half a dozen times, several of those times I went through Hell’s Gate.
And it was the SNES version (japanese only) so I didn’t understand anything of the plot other than the obvious.
Then I played through it a few times (to check out the different paths) on PSX to get the plot.

Thanks to some goons talking about it I’m now halfway through my 4th (or is it 5th) run through Dragon Warrior 7.
I’ve completed Monk, Knight and Samurai Straight Character Challenges on FFT, plus untold hours on other runs (definitely in excess of 1000).
I’ve been to Zot 5 a few times in Crawl and have written a couple small patches that got accepted into Stone Soup. I’ve logged over 300 games on crawl.akrasiac.org, but have done most of my playing locally for the past year or 2. I’ve also written a good hundred thousand words worth of advice and spoiler information about the game.
I’m on the Nanaca Crash high score list for both height and distance.
I’ve beaten Hell Baal with every class except Sorceress in hardcore on the Eastern Sun mod for Diablo 2. Some classes more than once.
I ran Hell in 6 minutes in Cave Story.
I researched all 1500 technologies and got all the medals in Warship Gunner 2 and am working on doing it a second time.
I’ve beaten Demon’s Souls 3 times.
I beat Indelnecio limiter off on galaxy mode in Star Ocean 2. Never got around to running Universe, though.
I beat Iseria Queen in Valkyrie Profile.
I beat Ys: Ark of Napishtem on Nightmare
I got the True Demon ending on hard in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

That pretty much covers all the assburgers shit I can think of off the top of my head.

I had lots of those moments with SNES RPGs (can’t say the same for recent games) - most of them involving endless button-mashing. :stuck_out_tongue: Now that I think about it, there’s a good numbers of games that I only finished just for the heck of it, regardless of how bad they were.
I actually beat 7th Saga twice (nothing to be proud of). Why twice, you ask? After beating the game with Lux, I was hoping that, since the game lets you choose between 7 different guys to play the game (I chose Kamil next), there’d be 7 different endings, right, right? NO. silly me. The only difference between the characters’ story is that some of them reach certain places by different paths (some of them have to climb a tower, others take a boat, etc.).
Young Merlin was quite hard to beat too. Took me way too many tries to beat it, I still hate that train tracks area and how you could die easily.
Another crazy task was getting all the dropped summons from FF IV. I remember getting Imp, Bomb and Cockatrice (there was also that Mind Flayer monster that I couldn’t get), but it took me hours of hours of beating the same monsters over and over to get the worst summons ever. The worst part? I didn’t know back then that the list of summoned enemies was limited, so I’d keep fighting monsters that didn’t have any summon item hoping that they’d drop it. :stuck_out_tongue:
I reached the last dungeon (where that Hommcruise-whateverhisnameis lies) of Secret of Stars and…gave up cause of the damn monsters that killed me all the time. I rushed through the game, couldn’t stand the music and sound effects, plus the fighting felt really slow (for SNES standards).
Does anyone here remember Brandish? I never beat that one, either.
I didn’t last long with Beyond the Beyond, never heard of anyone beating it.

Alright. That’s it! If a person can go through the 7th Saga twice and not make it through Beyond the Beyond then fuck it! I’m going deep.

(I’ll continue playing SaGa 2 and Riviera on the side so that I can try to keep my sanity).